Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

at what point is it false advertising? UPDATE: Owner threatening to sue me.

We are staying in a home in Windsor hills and it was a home we picked based on space and ammenities. When we arrived we noticed three things. In the pictures there was a grill and when we got here there was no grill. It advertised a PS3 and there was not one to be found. It said there was an XBOX 360 and there was-but no games. I contacted the owner about it and she said that the grill was gross so they removed it. The xbox had games but someone stole them and they decided not to replace them. She did not mention the PS3 but I assume the same thing happened to it and they did not buy a new one.

I kind of feel like this is false advertising sine we wanted this place especially because of the two gaming systems. What do you think and would you ask for money back?

Last edited by connorlevismom; 10-24-2012 at 01:22 PM.
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Yes, I would ask a refund. If they don't want to pay to replace the things they advertise they need to quit advertising!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

We have rented at Windsor Hills and Indian Creek many times and if that happened to us I would complain and ask for a partial refund.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

It really has been a hummed. We wanted the two gaming systems because our 8 year old son and my nephew who is 16 would want to play it. We also bought meat to grill but there is no grill!

How much of a refund would you ask for? The week is costing us $1600.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorlevismom View Post
It really has been a hummed. We wanted the two gaming systems because our 8 year old son and my nephew who is 16 would want to play it. We also bought meat to grill but there is no grill!

How much of a refund would you ask for? The week is costing us $1600.
I meant it has been a bummer. Dang auto-correct!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
robinb
DIS Veteran

Yes, I would ask for some money back. They advertised the unit with certain amenities which are not there or not usable.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
softballmom3
DIS Veteran

I, too, would ask for some type of partial refund. I would explain how you were mislead and com right out and ask. I believe if they were going to offer it voluntarily they would have done so when you questioned the advertised items being gone.....

1977 Heck...I don't remember, I was 4 .
2002 Holiday Inn Family Suites (Nick hotel now)
2007 Pop Century
2010 Windsor Hills
2011 POR
2013 Wilderness Lodge/POR/CSR
2013 Pop Century
2014 POFQ
softballmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

agree - they need to change what they are advertising - and give you some money back.

sorry this happened to you

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
robinb
DIS Veteran

OP, did you ask? I would ask for a minimum of 10%.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
JANNYANS
DIS Veteran

Did you mention to the owner that you had specifically booked their home because of these items? If so and they knew they were not there before your arrival then yes ask for a partial refund.

It can be difficult for an owner to sometimes keep up with things that go missing in their homes -their cleaners may not be the same ones every time and may not know what should or shouldn't be there so they won't report items missing which means the owner can't replace them .
Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
TinaElmerRh
Mouseketeer

Can't help with the gaming systems missing, but we rented a place for December and we paid $60.00 to rent a grill for the week. I know it will be an extra expense for you, but maybe someone there will know where you can rent one for the week. The owner of the villa made the arrangements for us. If the owner advertised a grill there should of been one there, she could of made arrangements to rent one until she purchased a new one.

TinaElmerRh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
OP, did you ask? I would ask for a minimum of 10%.
I have not asked yet, I will be doing so tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNYANS View Post
Did you mention to the owner that you had specifically booked their home because of these items? If so and they knew they were not there before your arrival then yes ask for a partial refund.

It can be difficult for an owner to sometimes keep up with things that go missing in their homes -their cleaners may not be the same ones every time and may not know what should or shouldn't be there so they won't report items missing which means the owner can't replace them .
The owners were here just last week. I know this because the because she told me in one of her emails. We did find the PS3, but it also had no games and when I asked her about those, she told me those were stolen too and they were not going to replace them. She told me I could rent games from the clubhouse. We called the clubhouse to inqure about this and they said they did not have games for rent. Plus, I should not have to pay to rent games!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

Just wanted to give a quick update. I emailed the owner asking for a 15% refund. I have yet to hear back from her, so I am assuming that she is not going to give me one. What now, besides writing reviews everywhere I can, can I do about this? Should I just drop it?

I found her initial quote to me that actually listed the BBQ use as part of our charge to use to house, so in the least, they should refund us something because of that. You cannot tell someone that your fee is this and includes use of a BBQ for the week and then tell them that they got rid of it because it was dirty and your not going to replace it. I wish I would have found the original quote while I was there because I would have told her that she needed to rent one for the week for our use because you charged us for that.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just wanted to give a quick update. I emailed the owner asking for a 15% refund. I have yet to hear back from her, so I am assuming that she is not going to give me one. What now, besides writing reviews everywhere I can, can I do about this? Should I just drop it?

I found her initial quote to me that actually listed the BBQ use as part of our charge to use to house, so in the least, they should refund us something because of that. You cannot tell someone that your fee is this and includes use of a BBQ for the week and then tell them that they got rid of it because it was dirty and your not going to replace it. I wish I would have found the original quote while I was there because I would have told her that she needed to rent one for the week for our use because you charged us for that.
Did you mention in your email that the BBQ was included in the contact? I would send them one more email with a copy of your contract and give the owner a specific time frame to get back to you. Maybe a week? I would also tell them if they don't get back to you, you'll have to give them a negative review. There is no reason not to tell them what the consequences are if they continue to ignore you.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
jensen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The owners were here just last week. I know this because the because she told me in one of her emails. We did find the PS3, but it also had no games and when I asked her about those, she told me those were stolen too and they were not going to replace them. She told me I could rent games from the clubhouse. We called the clubhouse to inqure about this and they said they did not have games for rent. Plus, I should not have to pay to rent games!
Did the listing say that games were included? I wouldn't have expected them to provide games. I'm sure there is a redbox or other cheap game rental place nearby that you can pick some up if you didn't bring any from home.

I agree it's unfortunate that they didn't replace the grill. But, I think a $240 refund is high. Maybe $50-$100. Isn't there a stove in the kitchen that you can cook your meat on?
Jan 2009 All Star Music Jazz Family Suite l Jan 2012 All Star Music Country Fair l Jan 2014 All Star Movies Might Ducks
jensen is offline   Reply With Quote