Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
1mama2three
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 135

Should we change to FW Cabins?

We're planning on visiting WDW from Jan. 18-27, and we currently have a reservation for POR booked (1 room). There are 6 of us (2 adults, 4 kids- 1 in a crib). When crunching the numbers, it looks like to stay in the FW cabins would cost us about $900 more ($1300 vs. $2200).

I know POR has a boat to DTD and FW has a boat to MK. Both are large resorts...meaning lots of walking. We will be using a double stoller for the 2 little ones, and the older ones are 7 and 5. We'll have our own vehicle, and we're willing to drive to the parks if need be, but we prefer using Disney transportation.

Anyway is the extra money worth spending? I can't decide. We've never stayed at either place so any thoughts would be MUCH appreciated.
__________________
Me DH DD- 8 DD- 7 DD- 4 DS- 2
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran
 
KonaKaiTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 627

I'm pretty sure maximum capacity, per fire code, for POR is 5, even if 1 is a baby in the crib. It is based on square footage, not where everyone is sleeping.

Tom
__________________
CSR 1997, Dolphin 1997, Swan 1998, FW 2000, BC 2001, YC 2002, POR 2012, GF 2012, OKW 2012, WL 2013, CBR 2013, GF 2014
KonaKaiTom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 500 miles away from my happy place
Posts: 1,022

I would change personally. That's really crowded for POR plus there's no separate space if the little ones are asleep for everybody else to hang out.

I'd also consider AoA suite for the price. It should be cheaper than the cabin but more $$ than POR. Plus you get a separate sleeping area and 2 bathrooms
__________________
MMS1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 500 miles away from my happy place
Posts: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
I'm pretty sure maximum capacity, per fire code, for POR is 5, even if 1 is a baby in the crib. It is based on square footage, not where everyone is sleeping.

Tom
it's 5 + infant. They base it on width of hallways and such along with room sizes I think. They count on the infant being carried so not essentially taking up space during an evacuation
__________________
MMS1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
1mama2three
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS1125 View Post
I would change personally. That's really crowded for POR plus there's no separate space if the little ones are asleep for everybody else to hang out.

I'd also consider AoA suite for the price. It should be cheaper than the cabin but more $$ than POR. Plus you get a separate sleeping area and 2 bathrooms
I hadn't thought of the AOA suites. I'll look into that. Thanks for the input, and for clarifying the maximum occ. on POR. I was about 98% sure it was 5+ an infant, but it never hurts to be reassured.
__________________
Me DH DD- 8 DD- 7 DD- 4 DS- 2
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
1mama2three
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 135

Well, quoting it with the room-only offer, the AOA suites are $100 more (total for the trip) than the FW cabins. The cabins would be $2200 for the stay, and the AOA suite would be $2300. Decisions, decisions...
__________________
Me DH DD- 8 DD- 7 DD- 4 DS- 2
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Marthasor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS1125 View Post
I would change personally. That's really crowded for POR plus there's no separate space if the little ones are asleep for everybody else to hang out.

I'd also consider AoA suite for the price. It should be cheaper than the cabin but more $$ than POR. Plus you get a separate sleeping area and 2 bathrooms
I have to agree with the AoA suite suggestion. I have never stayed at FW cabins, but I have heard, unless you are in a specific section, you really need a golf cart to get around the resort. The cart will add to your expenses and I don't now if you will fit your whole family in one.

At AoA you will only have bus transportation, but I found it to be very good. You will also have close access to great pools, the food court, transportation from any of the suite sections. Looks like, with the winter room-only offer you could get a suite for $2379 for your stay.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
ann0d1
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 21

We LOVE the cabins. You don't neccessarily need a golf cart, but it does come in handy. Our cabin last time was very close to a bus stop, so you could request that. We don't ever want to stay anywhere where else. It is really an awesome experience!
ann0d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
1mama2three
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann0d1 View Post
We LOVE the cabins. You don't neccessarily need a golf cart, but it does come in handy. Our cabin last time was very close to a bus stop, so you could request that. We don't ever want to stay anywhere where else. It is really an awesome experience!
Did you find that there was a LONG wait time to take a boat to the MK?
__________________
Me DH DD- 8 DD- 7 DD- 4 DS- 2
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
ann0d1
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 21

We took the boat twice and there was no longer than a 20 minute wait one time from WDW back to the fort. It is all in timing, with how long you have to wait. They run them constantly, a couple of times we got there and didn't even have to wait. Just luck.
ann0d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran
 
BLTtinkerbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 1,779

I love the cabins! The bedroom has a double bed, set of bunks & tv. The living area has a double murphy bed, tv and full kitchen. We enjoyed using the deck and grill. You can park your car right in the driveway, outside your cabin. You don't need a golfcart, (even though they are fun) request a cabin close to bus stop. We never waited very long for the boat to MK. I find the cabins very relaxing after a busy day in the parks.
__________________


BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
1mama2three
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTtinkerbell View Post
I love the cabins! The bedroom has a double bed, set of bunks & tv. The living area has a double murphy bed, tv and full kitchen. We enjoyed using the deck and grill. You can park your car right in the driveway, outside your cabin. You don't need a golfcart, (even though they are fun) request a cabin close to bus stop. We never waited very long for the boat to MK. I find the cabins very relaxing after a busy day in the parks.
Would you say that two average-sized adults could share the double murphy bed or should each of us plan on splitting a bed with a kid?
__________________
Me DH DD- 8 DD- 7 DD- 4 DS- 2
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran
 
BLTtinkerbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 1,779

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mama2three View Post
Would you say that two average-sized adults could share the double murphy bed or should each of us plan on splitting a bed with a kid?

Its the same size as a regular double bed. Just pulls down out of the wall.
__________________


BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,077

Have you thought about staying in a Family Suite at the All Star Music? I looks to cost about the same as a Fort Wilderness Cabin.

You would get a second space to relax in if someone needed a nap. You would be close to the main building and bus stop, as all Family Suites are in the preferred buildings at ASMu. You would get a queen sized bed for you and your hubby in a bedroom with a door, and you would get a second full bathroom.

I did the legal 6 thing at POR and as much as I love POR, I wouldn't do it again. It was just too tight in that room for that many people, plus having only one bathroom was not fun either. I would go with a Family Suite over 6 in a room at POR any time!
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
1mama2three
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Have you thought about staying in a Family Suite at the All Star Music? I looks to cost about the same as a Fort Wilderness Cabin.

You would get a second space to relax in if someone needed a nap. You would be close to the main building and bus stop, as all Family Suites are in the preferred buildings at ASMu. You would get a queen sized bed for you and your hubby in a bedroom with a door, and you would get a second full bathroom.

I did the legal 6 thing at POR and as much as I love POR, I wouldn't do it again. It was just too tight in that room for that many people, plus having only one bathroom was not fun either. I would go with a Family Suite over 6 in a room at POR any time!
Yeah, feeling like this is what I'm worried about. It would mean lights out for EVERYONE the minute we get back to the resort, and sometimes DH and I like to chat for a little bit once we get the kids to bed.

I had considered the All-Star Family Suites, but I thought the Cabins might be a nice change since we've only really stayed at POP. Plus, we wouldn't have to make the special trip over for the Campfire. Nonetheless, I'm going to have a chat with DH tonight and bring up some of these thoughts/suggestions.
__________________
Me DH DD- 8 DD- 7 DD- 4 DS- 2
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.