Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #106
cntclark
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 19

thanks!

Hey guys! Not sure how to reply to individual posts so ill reply to you all So my in laws are flying from St. Louis we will be flying form DC. With AirCanada we noticed both flights meet in toronto and then its a straight shot from barcelona from there. One families post i read talked about missing their connection and having to meet at the next cruise port, so i guess thats why im now getting paranoid, as im a planner and thought my idea of getting there same day was solid. I also am hearing about all these flights being cancelled or delayed by American so of course i wanted to check on reputable airlines that are extremly reliable and dont have a history of this. Something i did find helpful through was the connection having a longer layover right? So im assuming better to have a longer layover in toronto or whatever connection so if our starting flight is delayed ill still make my connection and have 6 or so hours for delays to barcelona itself. I think they said the last flight can get in at 1pm same day, we have disney trans. My master plan was to sleep the flight over that way when we woke up it was morning as if we slept the night anyway decreasing jetlag. I think the only other flight we found was connecting us both in Philly with usair? About the same price, so what do yall think aircanada or philly with us or american?

Here is our info for the role call.
we have 6 total in our party
Grand parents in law 1st disney cruise, first time in europe both in there 80's, Warren and Diana
Mother in law Janet mid 40's, she went on our 1st disney cruise with us to the carribean on fantasy this year in april. Says she will never cruise with anyother cruise line she was so mesmerized .
My husband Casey and myself Tiffany we are 27 and my daughter Isabella who is 3.

So glad we finally found our meet thread, was trying to search through all these discussions to find people on the same one and what your travel plans were. thanks for all the help ya'll!!!
cntclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #107
cntclark
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblab View Post
I'm a rookie at cruising, but flights to Europe - that is something I do way too much for work - happy to help there. Where are you starting from?

The Air Canada direct Toronto -> Barcelona will get you in with buckets of time to spare - and will probably be the flight we use going out to Barcelona. Will not be the routing we use coming home though, we'll take a connection through Frankfurt or Munich most likely. Reason is that Air Canada uses one of the 3 older 767s on that route - so no personal tvs to keep you occupied on the flight (not an issue going east as I'll be trying to sleep). There is a chance this might change as the new 787s are starting to come on stream now, and they will be retiring the 767s as they do.

Assuming you're coming from Canada, United will have code share flights as will US Air. However United hasn't released their full schedule yet. The only other direct option from Canada is Air Transat. They'll be your cheapest option, but will only fly 1-2 days a week, so might not work for your desire to get there cruise day. I haven't looked into it since I have more than enough points for our tickets on Air Canada. The only advice in general is to book with an eye to risk. ie, make sure no matter what you make the boat - so book long (2.5 hour or more) connections if direct isn't possible and you should be fine.
Call me nieve, but what is code share? Is that a connection with another airline??
cntclark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #108
roblab
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Listowel, ON Canada
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntclark View Post
Call me nieve, but what is code share? Is that a connection with another airline??
Exactly.

Air Canada, like many airlines belong to an alliance (Air Canada is in Star Alliance, partnered with United, US Air, Lufthansa, SAS among others). In a nutshell it allows them to sell tickets on the others flights expanding their route network.

So if you were flying from Toronto to Barcelona, you could buy an Air Canada ticket that connected in Newark, and the flight to Barcelona would actually be on a United aircraft, but your flight numbers would be Air Canada numbers... that way Air Canada can say they have 4 flights a day into Barcelona, when in reality only one is on an actual Air Canada plane.
roblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #109
roblab
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Listowel, ON Canada
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntclark View Post
Hey guys! Not sure how to reply to individual posts so ill reply to you all So my in laws are flying from St. Louis we will be flying form DC. With AirCanada we noticed both flights meet in toronto and then its a straight shot from barcelona from there. One families post i read talked about missing their connection and having to meet at the next cruise port, so i guess thats why im now getting paranoid, as im a planner and thought my idea of getting there same day was solid. I also am hearing about all these flights being cancelled or delayed by American so of course i wanted to check on reputable airlines that are extremly reliable and dont have a history of this. Something i did find helpful through was the connection having a longer layover right? So im assuming better to have a longer layover in toronto or whatever connection so if our starting flight is delayed ill still make my connection and have 6 or so hours for delays to barcelona itself. I think they said the last flight can get in at 1pm same day, we have disney trans. My master plan was to sleep the flight over that way when we woke up it was morning as if we slept the night anyway decreasing jetlag. I think the only other flight we found was connecting us both in Philly with usair? About the same price, so what do yall think aircanada or philly with us or american?
American is having a unique problem due to a maintenance issue... Basically the FAA gave them x amount of time to do some recall item. By the time our cruise comes around that issue (as well as the labour relations issue that is compounding the maintenance issue) should be solved.

In general I'm pretty partial to Air Canada (Living in Toronto it is a no brainer for me) I would take the longer connection option - although it leaves you cooling your heals in an airport for longer it gives you for problems on your first flight. Also remember that one advantage of doing Toronto is should something happen to cause you to miss your Barcelona flight, Air Canada will have flights to Munich, Frankfurt, Brussles, and London among others, all leaving after the Barcelona flight - and will be able to get you connections to get you to the boat.

United should have a direct from DC is you are really paranoid (from Dulles I believe)

Air Canada is a really good airline, for me compares very favorably to the US legacy airlines. They are subject to the random problems that plague all air travel, and bashing Air Canada is a national sport up here - but

When I have something that I can't miss (like a cruise start) I assume plan A will screw up, and thus book the options that has the most alternate plans (ie a long layover, multiple other routing options should I still miss the connection etc)

Rob.
roblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #110
roblab
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Listowel, ON Canada
Posts: 13

Hotel in Barcelona

Since a bunch of you have done this cruise before, any suggestions on hotels pre-cruise in Barcelona? Ideally something as close as possible to the port - but will also be a good base to see the city from.

Rob.
roblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #111
Florida Mel
Ready to sail on Disney Magic with Mickey
 
Florida Mel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntclark View Post
Hey guys! Not sure how to reply to individual posts so ill reply to you all So my in laws are flying from St. Louis we will be flying form DC. With AirCanada we noticed both flights meet in toronto and then its a straight shot from barcelona from there. One families post i read talked about missing their connection and having to meet at the next cruise port, so i guess thats why im now getting paranoid, as im a planner and thought my idea of getting there same day was solid. I also am hearing about all these flights being cancelled or delayed by American so of course i wanted to check on reputable airlines that are extremly reliable and dont have a history of this. Something i did find helpful through was the connection having a longer layover right? So im assuming better to have a longer layover in toronto or whatever connection so if our starting flight is delayed ill still make my connection and have 6 or so hours for delays to barcelona itself. I think they said the last flight can get in at 1pm same day, we have disney trans. My master plan was to sleep the flight over that way when we woke up it was morning as if we slept the night anyway decreasing jetlag. I think the only other flight we found was connecting us both in Philly with usair? About the same price, so what do yall think aircanada or philly with us or american?

Here is our info for the role call.
we have 6 total in our party
Grand parents in law 1st disney cruise, first time in europe both in there 80's, Warren and Diana
Mother in law Janet mid 40's, she went on our 1st disney cruise with us to the carribean on fantasy this year in april. Says she will never cruise with anyother cruise line she was so mesmerized .
My husband Casey and myself Tiffany we are 27 and my daughter Isabella who is 3.

So glad we finally found our meet thread, was trying to search through all these discussions to find people on the same one and what your travel plans were. thanks for all the help ya'll!!!
Awesome, you guys are going to have so much fun in Europe
__________________
Mel

Oct 2000 - 2 Weeks Villa Sunset lakes Jun 2002 - Disneyland Paris - Newport Bay Hotel Oct 2003 - 2 Weeks Villa Formosa Gardens Oct 2004 - 4 days Condo @ Clearwater 10 days villa @ Formosa Gardens Oct 2007 - 4 days Cocoa Beach & 12 days Villa Sunset Lakes July 2009 - St Augustine & WDW Yacht Club Feb 2010 - DLRP Newport Bay Hotel July 2010 - Our 1st Disney Cruise - Dover to Barcelona on Disney Magic August 2011 - Our 2nd Disney Cruise - 7 night Med on the Magic August 2012 - DLP 3 nights Dream Castle August 2013 - Jumped ship and we are Florida bound - COMING UP February 2014: Back to WDW for mums BIG 60th - COMING UP September 2014 - WBTA and the BIG WEDDING - COMING UP


Florida Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #112
Florida Mel
Ready to sail on Disney Magic with Mickey
 
Florida Mel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblab View Post
Since a bunch of you have done this cruise before, any suggestions on hotels pre-cruise in Barcelona? Ideally something as close as possible to the port - but will also be a good base to see the city from.

Rob.
We've stayed at the Novotel City hotel on both occassions and loved it Perfect location for exploring the city, close to the metro and a 10 minute taxi ride to the port
__________________
Mel

Oct 2000 - 2 Weeks Villa Sunset lakes Jun 2002 - Disneyland Paris - Newport Bay Hotel Oct 2003 - 2 Weeks Villa Formosa Gardens Oct 2004 - 4 days Condo @ Clearwater 10 days villa @ Formosa Gardens Oct 2007 - 4 days Cocoa Beach & 12 days Villa Sunset Lakes July 2009 - St Augustine & WDW Yacht Club Feb 2010 - DLRP Newport Bay Hotel July 2010 - Our 1st Disney Cruise - Dover to Barcelona on Disney Magic August 2011 - Our 2nd Disney Cruise - 7 night Med on the Magic August 2012 - DLP 3 nights Dream Castle August 2013 - Jumped ship and we are Florida bound - COMING UP February 2014: Back to WDW for mums BIG 60th - COMING UP September 2014 - WBTA and the BIG WEDDING - COMING UP


Florida Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #113
applecore72
Earning My Ears
 
applecore72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 15

New here!

Hi there,

I'm new to this group. Me (Helena), DH Thomas and DDs Magda (10) and Ellie (7) will be cruising on the Disney Magic next August. We are so excited!

This will be our second cruise ever and the childrens first cruise. Me and DH were on the Disney dream for a 5-night cruise. It was a wonderful cruise but unfortunately we recieved words that my father had passed away (at home in Sweden) on the third day. Of course this affected the rest of our cruise. I have to say that all the staff we had to speak to onboard for changing our travel arrangements were so helpful and really wonderful.

Since we live in Sweden we are going to try for a cruise closer to home this time. I have read that the Disney Magic is smaller compared to Disney Dream and I hope it won't be too crowded and that it will live up to our expectations Has anyone in here done this cruise before on the Disney Magic? How was it?

Only 10 months and 15 days left!
applecore72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #114
Florida Mel
Ready to sail on Disney Magic with Mickey
 
Florida Mel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 254

Talking Welcome onboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore72 View Post
Hi there,

I'm new to this group. Me (Helena), DH Thomas and DDs Magda (10) and Ellie (7) will be cruising on the Disney Magic next August. We are so excited!

This will be our second cruise ever and the childrens first cruise. Me and DH were on the Disney dream for a 5-night cruise. It was a wonderful cruise but unfortunately we recieved words that my father had passed away (at home in Sweden) on the third day. Of course this affected the rest of our cruise. I have to say that all the staff we had to speak to onboard for changing our travel arrangements were so helpful and really wonderful.

Since we live in Sweden we are going to try for a cruise closer to home this time. I have read that the Disney Magic is smaller compared to Disney Dream and I hope it won't be too crowded and that it will live up to our expectations Has anyone in here done this cruise before on the Disney Magic? How was it?

Only 10 months and 15 days left!
Welcome onboard Helena, Thomas, Magda and Ellie

You're all going to love the Disney Magic. she's beautiful
__________________
Mel

Oct 2000 - 2 Weeks Villa Sunset lakes Jun 2002 - Disneyland Paris - Newport Bay Hotel Oct 2003 - 2 Weeks Villa Formosa Gardens Oct 2004 - 4 days Condo @ Clearwater 10 days villa @ Formosa Gardens Oct 2007 - 4 days Cocoa Beach & 12 days Villa Sunset Lakes July 2009 - St Augustine & WDW Yacht Club Feb 2010 - DLRP Newport Bay Hotel July 2010 - Our 1st Disney Cruise - Dover to Barcelona on Disney Magic August 2011 - Our 2nd Disney Cruise - 7 night Med on the Magic August 2012 - DLP 3 nights Dream Castle August 2013 - Jumped ship and we are Florida bound - COMING UP February 2014: Back to WDW for mums BIG 60th - COMING UP September 2014 - WBTA and the BIG WEDDING - COMING UP


Florida Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #115
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer
 
ThePicketts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cannock, England
Posts: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore72
Hi there,

I'm new to this group. Me (Helena), DH Thomas and DDs Magda (10) and Ellie (7) will be cruising on the Disney Magic next August. We are so excited!

This will be our second cruise ever and the childrens first cruise. Me and DH were on the Disney dream for a 5-night cruise. It was a wonderful cruise but unfortunately we recieved words that my father had passed away (at home in Sweden) on the third day. Of course this affected the rest of our cruise. I have to say that all the staff we had to speak to onboard for changing our travel arrangements were so helpful and really wonderful.

Since we live in Sweden we are going to try for a cruise closer to home this time. I have read that the Disney Magic is smaller compared to Disney Dream and I hope it won't be too crowded and that it will live up to our expectations Has anyone in here done this cruise before on the Disney Magic? How was it?

Only 10 months and 15 days left!
We did the transatlantic and it was full. I honestly had no issues nor felt like it was crowded.
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #116
roblab
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Listowel, ON Canada
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Mel View Post
We've stayed at the Novotel City hotel on both occassions and loved it Perfect location for exploring the city, close to the metro and a 10 minute taxi ride to the port
Thanks Mel!
roblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #117
Pirategirl65
Earning My Ears
 
Pirategirl65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: West Jordan, Utah
Posts: 2

Hi Everyone, First post
just found this site,
Me and my two kids are booked for The Disney Magic for the Aug 31 2013

This is our first cruise and our first trip out of the country were so excited!!
Were Hoping and up for all meet and greets before or during The Cruise.

Going on this Adventure is three of us
Myself - Dottie 47, my son - Ryan 25 And my daughter - Miranda 19


we'll be arriving in Barcelona Spain, the 28th to check out things before the cruise, thinking about doing the aquarium and the zoo there. also Gothic Quarters..

Anything else you could suggest?

Also any advice on cruising / the flight etc.
would be greatly appreciated.

And what are Fish Extenders and Tastings lol??
Pirategirl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #118
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer
 
ThePicketts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cannock, England
Posts: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirategirl65
Hi Everyone, First post
just found this site,
Me and my two kids are booked for The Disney Magic for the Aug 31 2013

This is our first cruise and our first trip out of the country were so excited!!
Were Hoping and up for all meet and greets before or during The Cruise.

Going on this Adventure is three of us
Myself - Dottie 47, my son - Ryan 25 And my daughter - Miranda 19

we'll be arriving in Barcelona Spain, the 28th to check out things before the cruise, thinking about doing the aquarium and the zoo there. also Gothic Quarters..

Anything else you could suggest?

Also any advice on cruising / the flight etc.
would be greatly appreciated.

And what are Fish Extenders and Tastings lol??
Welcome! Fish Extenders (or FE is you want the common abbreviation) is a gift exchange that we do during the cruise. They are called FEs because you hang the pockets to receive the gifts off of a fish outside your door. It is a lot of fun. Google Fish Extenders images and you will see what I mean.

Tastings are for different types of alcohol. I don't drink so I really don't know much other than that.

The Gothic Quarter is amazing!
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #119
Pirategirl65
Earning My Ears
 
Pirategirl65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: West Jordan, Utah
Posts: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePicketts View Post
Welcome! Fish Extenders (or FE is you want the common abbreviation) is a gift exchange that we do during the cruise. They are called FEs because you hang the pockets to receive the gifts off of a fish outside your door. It is a lot of fun. Google Fish Extenders images and you will see what I mean.

Tastings are for different types of alcohol. I don't drink so I really don't know much other than that.

The Gothic Quarter is amazing!
I googled FE's and it looks like tons of fun! Count us in!!
how does it work though? is it a everyday thing? and what are some gift ideas?
Sorry for all the questions i just don't wanna miss out on anything lol.

Thanks so much for your response
Pirategirl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #120
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer
 
ThePicketts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cannock, England
Posts: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirategirl65

I googled FE's and it looks like tons of fun! Count us in!!
how does it work though? is it a everyday thing? and what are some gift ideas?
Sorry for all the questions i just don't wanna miss out on anything lol.

Thanks so much for your response
Each person can do their FE gifts differently. After we get everyone signed up, you can give gifts according to individuals in each of your staterooms or 1 per room. You can do 1 gift per room for the cruise, or one per person per day. It really is up to you. You can put your name on the gifts or keep it anonymous. Disney themes, location themes, etc. Google FE gift ideas.

Keep asking questions!
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.