Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #631
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
my next choice would be Samoa, third floor, facing the volcano pool. (I know, not likely to get a request that specific, but I thought it was at least worth a try.)
Don't give up hope!!! I know requests are just that, but for our Poly stay, I requested Samoa, 1st floor, facing volcano pool (in that order) and we got Samoa, 1st floor, facing the quiet pool, with them offering to move us the next morning if we still wanted to face the volcano pool (and we were there during free dining and didn't check in until around 1:00 a.m.)......so don't give up hope that you won't get just what you requested .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe View Post
10 days away from our trip --- just did our online checkin!
Have a great trip .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 10-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #632
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:
Is there a specific longhouse renovation schedule available somewhere? I posted before about how we really wanted to book CL at Poly for January, but currently have a GV because they are planning a Hawaii renovation during our stay. So my next choice would be Samoa, third floor, facing the volcano pool. (I know, not likely to get a request that specific, but I thought it was at least worth a try.) If they are renovating Samoa in January, I'll need to think about an alternative request. (Although I should think about that anyway, in the event that 3rd Floor Samoa isn't available when we check in.)
As with all things Disney, schedules are posted and changed. If a renovation is scheduled for January and you are booked in Hawaii (CL), the Polynesian will either move its CL to another building, you will be offered CL at another resort, e.g., GF or Contemporary, or offered a LV room at a lesser rate. At that time of year (a low season) your request could well be accepted without issue. I would suggest if you want CL book it and hope the "planned schedule" changes. Regardless, you will be accommodated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2twinboys View Post
We are also going in January and I would like to know a renovation schedule too. For what it's worth, we always request Samoa 1st floor facing the volcano pool. We don't always get the floor but we have always gotten a room in Samoa facing the pool. I probably just jinxed myself. But like you, I'd like to know a schedule before I put in a request.
I would offer you the same advice, make your request, book the category you prefer. If renovation/rehab happens in the time frame, you will be accommodated.

Disney Resorts change plans and rehabs/renovations like we change our underwear. . .it is best to book your category and go with the flow.
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #633
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
As with all things Disney, schedules are posted and changed. If a renovation is scheduled for January and you are booked in Hawaii (CL), the Polynesian will either move its CL to another building, you will be offered CL at another resort, e.g., GF or Contemporary, or offered a LV room at a lesser rate. At that time of year (a low season) your request could well be accepted without issue. I would suggest if you want CL book it and hope the "planned schedule" changes. Regardless, you will be accommodated.

I would offer you the same advice, make your request, book the category you prefer. If renovation/rehab happens in the time frame, you will be accommodated.

Disney Resorts change plans and rehabs/renovations like we change our underwear. . .it is best to book your category and go with the flow.
The problem is, you can't even BOOK CL in January- mid March right now (likely because of the planned renos). So, I believe pixarmom is settling on Samoa for right now, but is looking for a backup request for that in case that doesn't come through.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 10-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #634
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Don't give up hope!!! I know requests are just that, but for our Poly stay, I requested Samoa, 1st floor, facing volcano pool (in that order) and we got Samoa, 1st floor, facing the quiet pool, with them offering to move us the next morning if we still wanted to face the volcano pool (and we were there during free dining and didn't check in until around 1:00 a.m.)......so don't give up hope that you won't get just what you requested .
Thanks for the encouragement, Mickeynut! That's a happy story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
The problem is, you can't even BOOK CL in January- mid March right now (likely because of the planned renos). So, I believe pixarmom is settling on Samoa for right now, but is looking for a backup request for that in case that doesn't come through.
That's exactly right, Mousemommy! In January, you can't book CL at either Poly or CR. We thought about switching our reservation to CL at GF, but we can't give up Poly!! We'd rather stay GV at Poly than CL at GF. So I'm planning to request Samoa, but was just requesting renovation info in case I should be thinking about a backup request.

As much as I wish Poly CL would be available in January, regular Poly is still spectacular. Captain Cook's is our favorite resort CS on property and if we're close to GCH, it's very convenient!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #635
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement, Mickeynut! That's a happy story!

As much as I wish Poly CL would be available in January, regular Poly is still spectacular. Captain Cook's is our favorite resort CS on property and if we're close to GCH, it's very convenient!

We can't wait to try Poly CL in July, but I totally agree about a regular GV room at the Poly being spectacular . Captain Cooks is our favorite resort CS, too.....in fact, my oldest DS loves it so much more than any other that we actually went there more during our last GF stay than we went to Gasparilla's .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #636
Doofenschmirz Evil
Earning My Ears

Is Poly worth it during MNSSHP?

We stayed for three days on our recent trip, and I enjoyed the hotel a lot. My wife and I even did the Hula lesson. (I got the sense most people don't bother, because they seemed really thankful that we participated.)

But I can't decide whether Poly is the ideal resort in October. In the summer, an ideal plan for the resort is to go to MK, come back in the afternoon and swim, and then go back to the MK in the evening. This is so easy with the monorail. But when the MK closes at 7pm for MNSSHP, that isn't really practical.

On the other hand, watching the Hallowishes fireworks from the Poly beach was incredible. The Hallowishes fireworks display is so wide that I actually think you get a better view from the Poly than in the park.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #637
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenschmirz Evil View Post
We stayed for three days on our recent trip, and I enjoyed the hotel a lot. My wife and I even did the Hula lesson. (I got the sense most people don't bother, because they seemed really thankful that we participated.)

But I can't decide whether Poly is the ideal resort in October. In the summer, an ideal plan for the resort is to go to MK, come back in the afternoon and swim, and then go back to the MK in the evening. This is so easy with the monorail. But when the MK closes at 7pm for MNSSHP, that isn't really practical.

On the other hand, watching the Hallowishes fireworks from the Poly beach was incredible. The Hallowishes fireworks display is so wide that I actually think you get a better view from the Poly than in the park.
We were there last year for MNSSHP and loved it! We had nice warm weather to enjoy the pool in October. It was my 40th so we had rented a party cabana and spent most of the day out there. We could see the flickering clocktower and hear some of the spooky sound effects at night from our balcony. One night I went out with friends to the food & wine festival at EPCOT and the kids watched the fireworks from the Poly with my DH.

Of course, we were there specifically to enjoy the Halloween party, so our perspective is different than yours.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #638
Doofenschmirz Evil
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherekhan View Post
We were there last year for MNSSHP and loved it! We had nice warm weather to enjoy the pool in October. It was my 40th so we had rented a party cabana and spent most of the day out there. We could see the flickering clocktower and hear some of the spooky sound effects at night from our balcony. One night I went out with friends to the food & wine festival at EPCOT and the kids watched the fireworks from the Poly with my DH.

Of course, we were there specifically to enjoy the Halloween party, so our perspective is different than yours.
That plan makes a lot of sense. We went to Hollywood Studios and did TSM 3 times the day we went to the Halloween party, but resting by the pool at the Poly seems like a better plan.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #639
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Going to Poly in 2 weeks for MNSSHP. Normally stay at Poly in Summer, but still see it as a great resort for this time of year and all of the happenings!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #640
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We love watching fireworks from the Poly beach and we actually like that better than watching them in the park. I think the Poly is a great choice for October .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherekhan View Post

Sounds like a great way to spend a birthday. We love Disney in the fall and the Poly can't be beat, IMO .

Quote:
That plan makes a lot of sense. We went to Hollywood Studios and did TSM 3 times the day we went to the Halloween party, but resting by the pool at the Poly seems like a better plan.
We do alot of pool time on our trips and the volcano pool at the Poly is our favorite as it's so relaxing laying by the pool with the beach/castle behind you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermommyof3 View Post
Going to Poly in 2 weeks for MNSSHP. Normally stay at Poly in Summer, but still see it as a great resort for this time of year and all of the happenings!
The Poly is great any time of year. Have a great trip .

Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #641
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Yeah, I'm also disappointed with no club level in Jan. My TA has it in her tickle file, to keep asking every now and again. I find it very odd that they would have both Contemporary and Ploy Club level down at the same time--especially so close to Feb. break.

In the mean time, we'll be doing GV, and I requested the Tahiti building (a personal favorite, close to the TTC). If club level pops up for my dates, I'll be all over that like white on rice.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #642
cmesq61
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbluewater View Post
Just booked 5 nights at the poly in January - my family's first time staying there and my parent's first time to Disney ever.

My husband and i have been around the moderate block at disney, though my 3yo ds is so spoiled - he's only been at AKV on rented DVC points. I think the monorail will make up for it though!

Can't wait!
You'll love it--so happy for you!!

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
Old 10-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #643
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:

I love the Poly in October - or anytime We stayed last year at the Poly in October and the monorail to BOTH MK and EP can't be beat! It is still plenty warm enough to swim in October as well.

And I just happen to be going in less than 2 weeks to the Poly but for a very quick trip - shhh, the kids don't know!!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 10-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #644
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Sushi question!

Due to the short length of our trip, I am not making any dining reservations. While I know Captain Cooks carries some premade Sushi, I am more interested in the fresh made sushi at the sushi bar. I have dined at the Sushi bar a couple of times and enjoy some of the rolls they have. I also know they are walk up and can be hard to get a seat if you aren't there early. I have also dined at Kona cafe and seem to recall them offering the sushi menu there and have found that I can USUALLY get a table quickly when I just walk up, especially in the earlier hours. And I happened to look at Tambu Lounge's menu and they have a sushi roll on their appetizer menu. The goal of what I am trying to accomplish is to get a seat at a restaurant/lounge/etc for me and my two kids where we can have sushi (specifically the mango/shrimp roll) and steak (any decent kind for my son). We would dine at 5 pm.

So here are a few questions:

1. Does Kona Cafe still offer the sushi menu as well as their dinner menu?
2. Can you order from the Kona Cafe menu if you sit at the Sushi bar (and get a steak)?
3. Does Tambu Lounge serve the full sushi menu or only the one roll (that is currently listed on allearsnet)? For that matter, does Tambu Lounge serve anything from the Kona Cafe - or again, is it only that appetizer menu?

Thanks everyone!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #645
brea
Mouseketeer

So excited. Coming back and looking forward to it! 1/27/13 thru 2/2/13!!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: