Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #151
Jaybear
Earning My Ears

I second The Original Mexican Cafe on 14th -- I love their chicken mole enchiladas.

Just wanted to chime in on a few hotel issues. I see that a few people are staying at the Marriott Houston south on I-45. That hotel stinks -- it's got a horrid location and it's in a horrible area. It's also got a 1988 interior going on.

For hotels, I recommend that people get on down to Galveston -- the hotels by IAH and Hobby are pretty lousy, and there is nothing remotely nice in the areas surrounding them. The hotels in Galveston, along with the restaurants and overall ambiance, are exponentially better.

For hotels in Galveston, I would consider: The Hotel Galvez (a bit dated, but right on the water with a cool pool and easy walk to the Pleasure Pier), The Tremont House (easy walk to the port, nice amenities, and easy walking distance to many excellent restaurants and the Strand with its shops), The Sheraton Four Points (nice, easy walk to Pleasure Pier and right on the water), and The San Luis.

I work in Galveston and am a proud resident of Galveston County, so please ask any questions! I get a lot of help from this board, so I might as well pay it back!
Jaybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #152
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybear
I second The Original Mexican Cafe on 14th -- I love their chicken mole enchiladas.

Just wanted to chime in on a few hotel issues. I see that a few people are staying at the Marriott Houston south on I-45. That hotel stinks -- it's got a horrid location and it's in a horrible area. It's also got a 1988 interior going on.

For hotels, I recommend that people get on down to Galveston -- the hotels by IAH and Hobby are pretty lousy, and there is nothing remotely nice in the areas surrounding them. The hotels in Galveston, along with the restaurants and overall ambiance, are exponentially better.

For hotels in Galveston, I would consider: The Hotel Galvez (a bit dated, but right on the water with a cool pool and easy walk to the Pleasure Pier), The Tremont House (easy walk to the port, nice amenities, and easy walking distance to many excellent restaurants and the Strand with its shops), The Sheraton Four Points (nice, easy walk to Pleasure Pier and right on the water), and The San Luis.

I work in Galveston and am a proud resident of Galveston County, so please ask any questions! I get a lot of help from this board, so I might as well pay it back!
Thanks for the info! I booked Hotel Galvez the night before the cruise. It has free parking for length of the cruise AND free shuttle to and back from the ship. Got an AARP rate. Couldn't be more excited!!!

Last edited by BWV Dreamin; 10-14-2012 at 06:16 PM.
BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #153
beccadoby
1 hour from the Mouse / 2 hours to DCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybear View Post

!
oh no!
We are flying (IAH) in the night before our cruise and yes, thats the only option Disney gave us to stay at.

Any other ideas? I dont want to rent a car to get to GAL. It will late in the evening, 2 ladies & 2 kids, we do travel alot but of course safety is a concern.

We do plan to stay a few days AFTER the cruise in Galveston.
beccadoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #154
darrenwatson66
Mouseketeer

Question about staying at Hotel Galvez

We are at the Hotel Galvez the night before the cruise and wanted to know if there is a liquor store close by that we can walk or cab to? We get in kinda late as we are taking transportation from IAH to the hotel so would have to purchase the next morning before boarding. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! D
darrenwatson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #155
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccadoby View Post
oh no!
We are flying (IAH) in the night before our cruise and yes, thats the only option Disney gave us to stay at.

Any other ideas? I dont want to rent a car to get to GAL. It will late in the evening, 2 ladies & 2 kids, we do travel alot but of course safety is a concern.

I think a bunch of us are in the same situation. We arrive at Hobby fairly late the evening before the cruise. We don't want to rent a car since it's cheaper and less hassle to take the Disney shuttle the next morning to the pier.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #156
Mastiff
Mouseketeer

DCL Transfers

I'm a little confused. I was told that the DCL transfers only ran the morning/day of the cruise. Is that true?

So if our cruise leaves on the 29th and we fly in on the 28th there are no DCL buses to Gavleston on the 28th, buses would only run on the 29th. Do I have that correct.

Then I though I read someone said they were taking DCL transfers but staying the night before in Galveston.

I'm so confused!

Thanks
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #157
Tangoqueen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff
I'm a little confused. I was told that the DCL transfers only ran the morning/day of the cruise. Is that true?

So if our cruise leaves on the 29th and we fly in on the 28th there are no DCL buses to Gavleston on the 28th, buses would only run on the 29th. Do I have that correct.

Then I though I read someone said they were taking DCL transfers but staying the night before in Galveston.

I'm so confused!

Thanks
Hi, I know information does sometimes seem to contradict but we definitely have disney transfers booked day before cruise. Did this by phoning the telephone number given on our disney cruise booking confirmation. Confirmation shown below from disney docs. On our return I will post how it went.....

"Ground Transportation
The following motor coach ground transfers have been confirmed for all guests.

Date Pick Up Drop Off
26-Oct-2012 Houston, TX Hotel Galvez, a Wyndham Grand Hotel
27-Oct-2012 Hotel Galvez, a Wyndham Grand Hotel Port of Galveston
03-Nov-2012 Port of Galveston Houston, TX"

This is the info quoted on our disney planning page:

"Ground transfers are also available for Guests who have arranged a hotel stay through Disney Cruise Line before or after their cruise.
Transportation options may be a motor coach, mini-bus, or taxi depending on arrival time and party-size.
For more information, call (800) 951-3532. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call."

So it may be that the transfers are only available if the hotel is booked through Disney. We actually did this anyway as they had the best price available. Maybe if you book a different hotel or book it independently transfers may not be available. Best to phone and check. Good luck I know I spent weeks and several phone calls to disney from the UK before I made my decision, but relaxed and happy once I booked. I found the pre-cruise arrangements more difficult to decide than actually booking the cruise lol
Tangoqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #158
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangoqueen

We booked hotel Galvez through Disney for 1 night pre cruise stay and arranged Disney transfer from airport to hotel and then hotel to port. Flying home straight after disembarkation using the transfer so don't know whether it would have been available the following day. Best just phone and ask. By the way the Disney rate for the Hotel equalled the best other rate I could find. I know the hotel is supposed to be haunted, in particular room 501 so hope we don't end up with that one, mind you we are sailing at Halloween!
Sorry, I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. You were able to arrange a Disney transfer from the airport to the Galvez on your flight arrival date, then a Disney transfer from the Galvez to the port on sailing day? We are also on the March 1-9 cruise and would like to come in a day (possibly two) early. The DCL agent I spoke with told me about the shuttle from the Galvez to the port, but I didn't know thy would do an airport transfer on days other than sailing/ return days.

*** ETA *** Never mind!! I see someone else already asked for clarification. I should have finished the entire thread before posting - just killing some time on my phone and didn't go far enough. Thanks so much for the info!!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #159
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Great information, thank you! Of the hotel options, which would be best for two days pre-cruise without a car? We are a family of three with one young child, and we typically come in a day or two pre-cruise to unwind more than sightsee. Trying to decide between Galvez and Tremont House. Thanks!!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #160
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccadoby View Post
oh no!

I can't speak for the hotels "surrounding" IAH, but the Marriott that is connected to IAH (you just take a people mover/train from the terminal to get to it) is very nice! I don't know if that's an option for you or not, and if you have lots of time there you may not want to be stuck at the airport, but it IS nice and is very convenient, and safe.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #161
Jaybear
Earning My Ears

The Marriott at IAH is really a pretty charmless hotel. The Marriott by Hobby is REALLY lousy. Neither of them offer much other than a place to crash for the night, and there's not much to do.

Someone asked about the Tremont or the Galvez for a small kiddo. I would lean toward the Galvez because of its location to the Pleasure Pier and easy cab ride up to the Rainforest Cafe complex.

Someone asked about a liquor store. There is an outrageously huge Spec's on 61st Street. It's the size of a grocery store and has just about anything you can imagine.

Good luck!
Jaybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #162
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

@Jaybear does this liquor store also have beer, or do you have to go to a different place for that in Texas? If so, where might I find a good selection of Texas brews on our disembarkation day?

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #163
cw21726
Chillest Fool on Earth

I realize you didn't ask me specifically but if you can't find it at Spec's, you don't need it. Beer, wine, spirits, food, cigars...the works.

specsonline.com
Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #164
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Great! Thanks!

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #165
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Someone asked about the Tremont or the Galvez for a small kiddo. I would lean toward the Galvez because of its location to the Pleasure Pier and easy cab ride up to the Rainforest Cafe complex.

Good luck!
Thank you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: