Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Duck In Blue
Mouseketeer

Budget to Port Canaveral

Hi we are off on our first cruise on the Fantasy in a few weeks and have hired from Budget (also a first) to drop off in Cape Canaveral. I managed to get the 1100 port arrival time so what time would you recommend we get to Budget so we can be at the port for 1100? Do the shuttles run constantly or at set times?

Thanks!
Duck In Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
asemaria
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck In Blue
Hi we are off on our first cruise on the Fantasy in a few weeks and have hired from Budget (also a first) to drop off in Cape Canaveral. I managed to get the 1100 port arrival time so what time would you recommend we get to Budget so we can be at the port for 1100? Do the shuttles run constantly or at set times?

Thanks!
We found it to work pretty good in terms of leaving the car and finish the paperworks. The shuttles ran constattly and it took abot 10 min to the port with a Carneval drop off before ours.
BUT!!! The line for the shuttle was insane. There were just too many people leaving cars that day ( a staffmember said that it was partly due to Disneys larger ships ( we were also on the Fantasy).
It took us an hour to get on a shuttle from our arrivaltime at Budget!
But on the plus side: when we got to port we could walk right on the Fantasy, since our number had been called.
WDW 2012 POFQ
DCL Fantasy Western Carribean april 2012
asemaria is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Happy100
Mouseketeer

We have done budget it twice now but before the new ships.

What we did in the past was have DH drop myself, our son and our luggage off at Disney's terminal so I could check us in and he then dropped off the car with budget by himself. This made it easier for him to get on the shuttle back to port since it was just himself and no luggage. It typically took him around 45mins to catch back up with us.

Disney Wonder 8/24/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09
Happy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy100 View Post

What we did in the past was have DH drop myself, our son and our luggage off at Disney's terminal so I could check us in and he then dropped off the car with budget by himself. This made it easier for him to get on the shuttle back to port since it was just himself and no luggage. It typically took him around 45mins to catch back up with us.
Didn't use budget, but followed this exact plan with Dollar/Thrifty and it worked well. Agree also with the 45 minutes and that included topping off the gas tank before dropoff. When at the rental agency, stand outside where the shuttle picks up or others will and you'll get bumped by being inside.
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Duck In Blue
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. If it was really mobbed does anyone know if it would be easy to get a taxi?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy100

This is what we have done in the past also. Does anyone know if this is still possible with the new boarding for Fantasy?
slg4crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck In Blue View Post
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. If it was really mobbed does anyone know if it would be easy to get a taxi?
we did this in August...it was horrendous and i mean horrendous...the lines were huge to get a shuttle to the port, there were NO shuttles in sight and there was a storm coming...we shared a taxi (me, wife, DD) with someone else on our cruise...it cost us $20 and yes there were plenty of taxi's at Budget (i got the idea they were like vultures who could sniff out problems)...

the problem is if you get there to early all the shuttles may be at the port picking up disembarking passengers...we got there a wee bit late (12:15ish?) and it was a nightmare....then again our Fantasy WC cruise left on a Saturday so if you are not embarking on the weekend it should be a piece of cake...
Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Brynnie
Mouseketeer

I'm gonna also say take a taxi! The shuttle lines are awful!

The first time we did this I dropped my hubby off at 10:45 to check us in at the port....got to the Budget return to find huge lines! The shuttle driver was kind of aggressive...he took my bags and put them on the shuttle. I returned the car and then had to wait 25 mins for him to leave....and then he stopped at another port first! By the time I got dropped off the security lines were much longer than when I dropped off my husband...I did not get to him until 12:15.....way past when our boarding #6 had been called. I was so upset.

This last time, I dropped him off at 10:45.....returned the car and told the shuttle driver I was all set. There were no cabs so I walked next door to a gas station, the woman called me a cab which arrived 2 minutes later (she also told me that she is used to helping ppl who get upset at the Budget return). $17 LATER I was back at the port and reunited with my husband by 11:20. DEF worth the taxi fare! Good luck!!!!

offsite 08/96 * All Star Sports 03/98, 04/00 * All Star Movies 05/01, 02/05 * Caribbean Beach 05/02 * Wyndham Palace Resort and Spa 01/03 * Royal Pacific Resort 05/03 * Hilton Downtown Disney 07/03 * Offsite 10/03 * DL- Crowne Plaza Garden Grove 12/03 * Coronado Springs 5/04 * Dolphin~WL 7/04 * AKL~Polynesian 07/05 * AKL~POR 01/06 * Swan 2/08 * Caribbean Beach 10/08 * DL- Embassy Suites South 01/09 * PBH 3/11* Swan 02/12* SSR/DCL DREAM 4 nt Bahamas May/12!!!!! * SSR/DCL DREAM 4 nt Bahamas Sept/12 * DCL Wonder 5 nt Western Caribbean out of Miami! 1/13
Brynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Daniellenbella
Mouseketeer

We are doing Budget in a couple weeks also. If DH drops off myself & DD before he returns the car, what documents do I need to check him in and what documents does he need to get through security to meet up with us?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

the best way to see if you're going to have a problem find out what other cruise ships arrive the morning you are disembarking...the reason our situation was so horrendous was not only were they picking up Disney Fantasy passengers at the port, but also Carnival cruisers and i believe some other boat....
Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer

I think I might return rental car the night before and have a taxi pick us up at the hotel and take us to the ship. . Will have to be a van for all the luggage and five people. I'm one of those that doesn't like to hurry and wait when I have a cruise with an early port arrival time. The sooner on board the better!
slg4crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Duck In Blue
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the advice. I think we will aim to get to Budget by 10 a.m. and then see what the line for the shuttle is like. If it looks like it's going to be a nightmare we will take the taxi - even if it means walking to the gas station to get them to call one for us! Don't want to be starting this stressed!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Brynnie
Mouseketeer

You need to have the cruise document book that DCL sends to you, all of your passports. Make sure DH holds onto his driver's license as ID to get back into the port and through security. My DH does this when I drop off the car and we have never had an issue with checkin....have fun!!

offsite 08/96 * All Star Sports 03/98, 04/00 * All Star Movies 05/01, 02/05 * Caribbean Beach 05/02 * Wyndham Palace Resort and Spa 01/03 * Royal Pacific Resort 05/03 * Hilton Downtown Disney 07/03 * Offsite 10/03 * DL- Crowne Plaza Garden Grove 12/03 * Coronado Springs 5/04 * Dolphin~WL 7/04 * AKL~Polynesian 07/05 * AKL~POR 01/06 * Swan 2/08 * Caribbean Beach 10/08 * DL- Embassy Suites South 01/09 * PBH 3/11* Swan 02/12* SSR/DCL DREAM 4 nt Bahamas May/12!!!!! * SSR/DCL DREAM 4 nt Bahamas Sept/12 * DCL Wonder 5 nt Western Caribbean out of Miami! 1/13
Brynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
Daniellenbella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynnie View Post
You need to have the cruise document book that DCL sends to you, all of your passports. Make sure DH holds onto his driver's license as ID to get back into the port and through security. My DH does this when I drop off the car and we have never had an issue with checkin....have fun!!
Thank you!!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #15
stalbertsteve
Mouseketeer

I was worried about what some had said earlier. There were three vehicles rented in our group. We booked budget, dropped of the families at the terminal, they checked in and waited in the departure area. We took the vehicles to the budget office where their was no lines, as soon as we were finished doing the paperwork there was two shuttles waiting to take passengers back to the DCL terminal. We were quickly on our way, the driver was friendly and very informative. If you want to call this a bottleneck which I wouldn't is we had to wait in line with all the other traffic to get to the numbered drop off location at the cruise terminal. This had absolutely nothing to do with Budget, it's just sitting in traffic. The time in line was not long at all. I would say it took us about 45 min from when we originally dropped off our families, topped up the gas, returned the vehicles and shuttled back to the terminal. Absolutely now complaints with the process, the cost difference for my family was well worth it compared to the DCL bus offerings from the airport or WDW. I highly recommend doing this, we will be doing the same on our next cruise in 2013.
Disney Fantasy Nov 24 - Dec 1 2012
Disney Fantasy Nov 30 - Dec 7 2013
Disney Magic Oct 11 - Oct 18 2014
stalbertsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: