Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #31
samily
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone,

We booked this cruise this week and are so excited with the Kids Sail Free!! We were previously booked on the 2/16 Wonder but switched over to this one. It is me, DH, DD (15), DD's BFF (14), DS (11), DS (8), and my mom. The kids are super excited for WDW and I'm excited for 8 nights!

We are from the Northeast, so the kids are on winter break that week, so they will only be missing 1 day of school.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and share in everyone's excitement!

Beth
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
jzandmeplus3
Earning My Ears

We switched yesterday from 3/31 4 night cruise on the Dream to this one. Kids sail free, and 4 more nights! Haven't told the kids we won't be going on Dream yet, but I think they will get over it when I tell them we're going o CC and WDW.

My boys will be 10, 8 & 5 when we sail.

Any suggestions of where to best fly in to and where to stay the night before would be great.
jzandmeplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

Welcome to the new comers! It seems this sailing is starting to pick up since the kids sail free promo.
Beth, our kids are on winter break too, so they will only miss one day of school, except for our oldest DD who is in college, she will miss 2. Which part of the Northeast will you be coming from? My brother and his family are flying in from Boston, and my nephew is out of school that week also.
For those that have AP to WDW, I wonder if you have friends or family in the Orlando area that don't have passes if they could meet you there for the day and use your 1 day PH? At least with AP you will get a discount on food and merchandise. We have AP for DL, but I don't think that will work for us.
I know a lot of people on this cruise are from TX and are driving down, but those that aren't, has anyone figured out where they are staying the night before and how they are getting to the port?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #34
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Hi to all the new folks who have just joined in!! Looks like a lot of folks were able to take advantage of the KSF offer... I checked this morning for a co-worker, and there was nothing left. It's still available for this cruise, but it's only DS & I.

For anyone looking for airport/hotel/transportation help, you might try the "All Things Galveston" thread for some links and helpful tips from lots of people.

Is anyone interested in doing an FE gift exchange, now that we have actual people other than just Katie & I here?

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #35
FloridaFun
Mouseketeer

Hi to the other Beth (samily). It is always fun to have people with my same name as I am sure to not forget it. Your 11 year old will be perfect for my 12 and 10 year old sons.

jzandmeplus3 - Glad you switched from the 3/31 cruise. Your boys and my boys are also a nice fit for each other and I am sure our 5 year olds will have a great time playing.

I forgot to mention in my first post that we are also bringing my mom and my father-in-law. I see that Beth is bringing her Mom too. Anyone else bringing the grandparents?

My kids also only have 2 days of school that week, so will miss those 2 plus Friday. Trading in 3 days of school for an 8 day Disney cruise seemed to good to pass up.

We are still working on figuring out where we will be staying the night before the cruise. My husband has friends in Houston, but asking them to have all 7 of us may be too much. So, I am going to start looking into Galveston Hotels.

Gina - I am totally in for an FE exchange. I have never organized one, but would be glad to help. Just let me know if you already had any thoughts for it.

Beth

Disney Dream August 2011 - Ruby Princess December 2011 - Carnival Triumph March 2012 - Can't wait to be on the Disney Magic February 2013
FloridaFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #36
the great cornholeo
Hooked!

Hi everyone. We just booked this week. It will be me my son (10) and my dh(dismoms brother). This the first cruise that wasn't booked at least a year and a half in advance. In so excited. I haven't told our son yet. I'm trying to keep it a surprise but I'm not sure how this will go.

DM DH: : DS 10

Disney Magic 10/3/09
Disney Dream B2B 10/2/11 & 10/6/11
Disney Magic 2/15/13
the great cornholeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #37
samily
DIS Veteran

Cool, there's another Beth I'm terrible with names, but that one I can remember! It looks like you have a travel party of 7 too - what are you doing to get to the port? Right now I have a minivan rental from IAH to the port, wondering if there is a better option...

Dismom & Laura, we are coming in from RI - we got lucky and got great rates flying in from PVD, so we don't have to make the drive up to BOS - saves us an hour drive time. We are flying in Thursday night.

Gina, I am reading your Galveston thread now - lots of great info there! We are flying home on Sunday morning, so we are looking for something fun to do on Saturday - looks like there are quite a few fun choices!

It looks like we've got quite a few boys in the 8-12 range - my boys are excited for that!
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
Old 10-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #38
samily
DIS Veteran

For those that are interested, I called DCL today regarding transfers and hotels. They will transfer from either IAH or the Houston Airport Marriott to the port on the day of embarkation, and from the port to either the Hotel Galvez or to IAH on disembarkation. Transfers are 30.00 pp each way. She said they are not doing transfers between Hobby and the port.

The Houston Airport Marriott is 165.00 on 2/14.

The Hotel Galvez is 205.00 on 2/23.

Last edited by samily; 10-13-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #39
the great cornholeo
Hooked!

Beth. What did you get for a rate from pvd. We might be flying standby so I think that we are going to try for wed night it early Thursday into iah. So much to do so little time

Disney Magic 10/3/09
Disney Magic 2/15/13
Old 10-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #40
samily
DIS Veteran

Laura - 150.00 ea way. Flying out Thursday late afternoon, flying back Sunday morning.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #41
FloridaFun
Mouseketeer

FE Exchange

Beth- My 5 year old is only in preschool, so my mom and I are taking off with him the week before the cruise and driving to Texas so we can visit one of my mom's high school friends who lives near San Antonio. So, we will have my minivan to pick up the rest of our crew from the airport Thursday night. Before deciding to drive down we looked in the Super Shuttle as car rental and dropping it off in Galveston seemed to be really expensive.

Hi Laura, we were also trying to keep the cruise a secret from our boys, but spending several nights on the Disney Cruise site got them asking too many questions and I already spilled the beans.

Gina had mentioned doing an FE exchange, so I thought I would post exactly what the Fish Extender Exchange is for those that may not be familiar with it:

To understand this, you have to know what the fish are. On Disney cruise ships, there is a mail holder outside of each door in the shape of a fish, starfish, or seahorse. Disney uses this as your "mailbox" to put items on. The Disney community came up with fish extenders, which is essentially fabric with pockets on it that you hang from your fish mail holder.

Some people make a fish extender or you can buy one off Etsy (lots of cool handmade items in general on Etsy) or get one from eBay.

Some people do one gift for each cabin, others for each person in the cabins. Some people hand make special gifts, some buy gifts, items specific to where where an FE exchanger lives are always fun, and others give candy. These are just a few of the options for FE exchanges... the ideas are as limitless. The budget is really what ever a person is comfortable spending.

The person organizing the FE exchange will provide a list of everyone in your group's staterooms. I would be glad to help with this for our cruise. Then the gift giving begins! Hang your fish extender on your fish, and wait to see what surprises show up. You also get to give other people gifts! It's great fun, and it can really make a Disney Cruise magical.

I have a Pinterest Board with FE exchange ideas and a few pictures of Fish Extenders. you can see the board at this link: http://pinterest.com/off2wdw/fe-disney-gifts/

I will continue to pin FE exchange ideas that I think are cool, so if you want to follow my board you will see anything new that I pin too.

Beth

Disney Dream August 2011 - Ruby Princess December 2011 - Carnival Triumph March 2012 - Can't wait to be on the Disney Magic February 2013
FloridaFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #42
the great cornholeo
Hooked!

We are in for the Fe. I can't believe that you have a pin board in this. That is an awesome idea. I always have a hard time coming up with ideas. I'll have to check it out

Disney Magic 10/3/09
Disney Magic 2/15/13
Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #43
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

Talking We just booked! (& a forum question)

I am so excited!!! We have always told the kids "No Way!" But free kids sailing?!!? Couldn't pass it up!

We spent our honeymoon on the Magic on it's Innagural Year, & our 10th anniversary on the Wonder. This time, my birthday is while we are cruising!!!

We have an 11 YO DD, a 6 YO DD & a 5 YO DS.

We are cruising w/ his dad & step-mom.

Just wanted to introduce ourselves.

I do have one question-I have tried to upload an new avatar, & re-sized the pic & everything, but it won't upload. Anything else I should try?
Kimbo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #44
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone, I'm Stephanne. My dad saw the KSF offer and said that now was the time. My DH doesn't get to come since he started a new job in July, so it will be my parents, me and my two boys - 6 and 3. We will be driving from MI to TX unless some amazing airfare comes out. My DS is in Kindergarten but will only miss 5 days since he has the 15th and 18th off already. I'm the planner so I was thrown for a loop as this wasn't something we were planning at all! But in a good way. Now I'm playing catch up trying to get everything organized. We've cruised many times before but this will be our first with DCL. The boys don't know yet but will be so excited!

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #45
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Still sitting here in shock...

We have been to DL a bunch of times in the past year because we are AP's. We had planned to go to WDW at the end of February. I wanted to do a trip while DS2 is still free. I had been pricing out renting DVC points and buying the meal plan. Then I saw the kids sail free offer and thought... an R&R vacation w/ Disney - No brainer! All our last vacations have been go, go, go. This would allow us to relax and even enjoy some alone time with my hubby which we never get.

We have never cruised before. A little nervous about the assigned dining. I would much rather be just my family of four but that doesn't seem likely.

Question -- are you buying the insurance from Disney? I was looking at pricing out elsewhere.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: