Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #31
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATEGIRL007 View Post
I take 2 aleve in the morning before leaving for the parks. I take 2 more when getting back before bed. Everyday, from day 1 on, I don't wait till I'm in pain.
I started doing this on my last trip and it really made a big difference for me.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #32
buzzgirls&dad
DIS Veteran

Like everyone else has mentioned ice (cool soak), motrin in the am and pm and we use Bath and Body's peppermint creme. It is seasonal but it's out now, so we always buy a new bottle as we all use it. Massage it up into your calves as well. We use it when dressing in the morning, after pool time(this feels really good) and then before bed. Good luck!
'13 Oct-BCV/MNSSHP-lunch with an Imagineer
'14 Mar-Aulani'14Oct-BCV/MNSSHP/F&W
'15 Oct-BCV/MNSSHP/F & W

"If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney
buzzgirls&dad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #33
KBoopaloo
DIS Veteran

I have very flat feet and find that my feet often hurt most in the morning when I first wake up, even if they felt fine when I went to bed.

My new routine is to elevate on a pillow while watching tv before bed, moisturize and take an PM ibuprofen. It helps me sleep (which I have a tough time with in hotel rooms) and takes care of the feet. I have done this for the last two or three trips and it has made a huge difference.

I might try some of the cold soaks mentioned earlier on my next trip!
1984 - Contemporary ~ 1991 - Caribbean Beach ~ 1999 - Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 2000 - Vista Way (College Program) ~ 2001 - AllStar Music ~ 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 & 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 2008 Beach Club ~2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge~ 2009 Saratoga Springs(x2) & Pop Century 2010 Boardwalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas - Jambo House & Coronado Springs~ 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter & Kidani Village(April), Old Key West & Beach Club (October) 2012 AKV - Jambo and Yacht Club (Commodore Suite!) 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter and Boardwalk Inn 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
KBoopaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #34
RedfromNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAdisneymom View Post
Soak in cool water for 10 mins, then hot water for 10 mins, then slather with peppermint foot lotion. It's wonderful. A friend and I did this in the middle of the day, on three days during our 2010 trip, and then went back out into the park to finish the day! It was like having new feet.
mint works wonders! I also sometimes use other cremes but often they will contain mint.

I know I'll have sore and tired feet regardless, but this way I'll make it through teh long walks
RedfromNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #35
RedfromNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
How much do you walk at home? When I was 33 I'd wake up hurting from head to toe each day after the parks. I started working out and list 50lbs. Now my feet get a little achy at the end of the night but by the next morning its completely gone. I had no Idea how much difference regular exercise would make!
I did the four day marches of Nijmegen several times. Thats four days of walking of 25 miles each.

I still get sore feet walking in a city , museum, park. Reason?
You can't walk in a regular rythm, other people, things you want to see, lines all make you start, stop, start, stand, different speeds etc.
It really is a different way of walking!

At wdw I soak, massage and I make sure to take regular breaks, short breaks, but at least a five-minute no walking every 45 minutes.

And well, the hurt goes, the fun stays
RedfromNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #36
alex9179
DIS Veteran

For me, the slow, meandering walk is the worst. I get hip pain, which radiates down my legs. I also have plantar fasciitis, so morning foot pain is a given. To help, I'm going to the chiropractor a week before the trip to get a total body adjustment. I hate, hate, hate going but slow walks will be torture for me unless I get things aligned. Walking fast doesn't bug me, go figure.

I'm also going to utilize the pool for inflammation, and the cold water foot bath sounds like heaven. I can just see all 5 of us standing in the tub saying "ahhhhhh". I'll pick up a mint lotion to take with us. Aleve is my go-to pain relief, and it's already in my over-the-door organizer!
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #37
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

This may sound silly, but our last trip my feet ached soooooo bad one night (no blisters or anything, I have fantastic shoes, just ached from walking so much!) Anyway, because of my arthritis, I always bring therma-care heat wraps. I took two of the shoulder ones and wrapped around my feet and then put socks on over them before bed, and the pain went away....it felt sooooo good!!

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #38
raraavis
Mouseketeer

i was at walmart today and couldn't find peppermint (or any mint for that matter) lotion. i am a newbie to disney world, so i am worried how my feet will handle the excessive walking. on a side note, i couldn't find body glide either!

anyway, for the people who mentioned the peppermint foot lotion, can you tell me where a good place to find it is? thanks!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #39
kmchisholm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raraavis
i was at walmart today and couldn't find peppermint (or any mint for that matter) lotion. i am a newbie to disney world, so i am worried how my feet will handle the excessive walking. on a side note, i couldn't find body glide either!

anyway, for the people who mentioned the peppermint foot lotion, can you tell me where a good place to find it is? thanks!
You could try Bath and Body Works or Sally Hansen for a foot remedy - body glide could be found at a running or sport store (believe Dicks carries it)
kmchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #40
raraavis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchisholm View Post
You could try Bath and Body Works or Sally Hansen for a foot remedy - body glide could be found at a running or sport store (believe Dicks carries it)
thanks for the tips!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #41
Tigerlulu
Mouseketeer

You can find body glide at Academy Sports. In the fitness section!
Tigerlulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #42
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I love The Body Shop's peppermint foot spray. You can leave the spray bottle in your hotel room fridge, if you want even more of a cooling effect. Their peppermint foot lotion is awesome too.

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/shop-...eppermint.aspx
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #43
Mammaz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raraavis View Post

CVS and Walgreens both carry the Bert's bee brand. I think Walmart does also.
Mammaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #44
raraavis
Mouseketeer

thanks everyone, i'll keep an eye out!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #45
pantherlj
DIS Veteran

amazon.com has the Body Shop and Burt's Bees lotion
pantherlj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: