Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #136
Goofysrus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing
We plan to spend two night pre-cruise in Galveston at the Country Inn & Suites (Recommend signing up for their email specials, we got one that actually applied to our dates!)

Looking for a couple local dining recommendations but not too expensive for a lunch and one dinner. And I have a Rainforest Cafe gift card, so we'll give that a try for one night. What's the parking situation for that restaurant?
We like the Spot. It's on the sea wall and very economical. After a day at the beach we usually head over there. I think we're on the same cruise meet so see ya in just 4 weeks!!! 😬
Goofysrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #137
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the Walmart and Target info! I will look into it!

Sailing on the Magic again! Jan 25, 2015!

------
8 night Magic Cruise - Jan 18, 2013

Paradise Pier Hotel May 20-26, 2012
WDW August 7-14 2010
2nd DL trip! May 18-25, 2004
1st DL visit... 1 day rushed trip May 2001
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #138
Snoozeman
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCeGarrett View Post
I love love love Gaido's on seawall. It's white linen tablecloth... yet reasonable and yuuuummmmy.
Agree...Gaidos is unique and well worth the $ and effort.

BTW--to whoever asked: there is a Walmart on the island.
Snoozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #139
eggroll
eggroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing
We plan to spend two night pre-cruise in Galveston at the Country Inn & Suites (Recommend signing up for their email specials, we got one that actually applied to our dates!)

Looking for a couple local dining recommendations but not too expensive for a lunch and one dinner. And I have a Rainforest Cafe gift card, so we'll give that a try for one night. What's the parking situation for that restaurant?
Parking on the seawall can suck on the weekends. Otherwise its fair. Rain forest is chilis quality. Good dining would be Gaidos and dibellas. Good affordable fair would be the spot, ny pizzeria.
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #140
eggroll
eggroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll

Parking on the seawall can suck on the weekends. Otherwise its fair. Rain forest is chilis quality. Good dining would be Gaidos and dibellas. Good affordable fair would be the spot, ny pizzeria.
Btw, Casey's is reasonable too. It's connected to Gaidos.
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #141
mommy2mb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliemomma View Post
Anyone know anything about BOI valet parking? Says it just one blck from terminal
We are using BOI valet for our Disney Cruise in April. I couldn't find alot about them on the boards, so we took a chance and just booked since they are so close to the port.

mommy2mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #142
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the dining recommendations and info!

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #143
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

Here's a few more dining recommendations.

We've found Gaido's to be a little inconsistent. When they're good, they're great, but we've occasionally been disappointed. Haven't been there in the last couple of months, though.

If you're looking for a a reasonably priced meal, and you don't mind not having a view, go to Shrimp N Stuff. They're on the same street as Gaido's (39th), but they are down at O. We've been going there for more years than I care to admit to, when we just want a quick and cheap meal. Their shrimp po boys are my favorite! It's not fancy at all, and it is one of those places where a lot of locals eat. They used to have parking issues, but they've recently added more parking and it is no longer a problem.

I know I've made some of these recommendations on one thread or another, but it has been a while.

For watching the ships go in or out of the port, I really like Olympia Grill. It's close to the cruise port, definitely walking distance. (If you've spotted the tall ship Elissa, it is right by there.) Great views, good Greek food, with a focus on seafood, considering the location. (The original Olympia is even better, on the seawall.)

Mosquito Cafe and Rudy and Paco's are also both interesting and good, but less really kid friendly. These are more if you want a sort of quirky very good meal with a slightly more adult feel.

(me) (DH) (DS 8) (DD 3) (4 cats) (52 fish) (and a frog)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #144
Mastiff
Mouseketeer

How to I get from IAH Airport to Galveston?

Coming in a day early for the cruise and may stay an extra day after the cruise.

Are there any shuttles from the airport to the Galveston area? If so, are they crazy expensive?

Would like to avoid renting a car but don't know if that is really our only option.

Obviously we can do the Disney Transfers and for go staying extra days.

Have never been to Texas before so just trying to take advantage! We are traveling the end of Dec. beginning of Jan. Is the weather nice enough that we could enjoy a little sightseeing?

Thanks for your help!
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #145
Tangoqueen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff
Coming in a day early for the cruise and may stay an extra day after the cruise.

Are there any shuttles from the airport to the Galveston area? If so, are they crazy expensive?

Would like to avoid renting a car but don't know if that is really our only option.

Obviously we can do the Disney Transfers and for go staying extra days.

Have never been to Texas before so just trying to take advantage! We are traveling the end of Dec. beginning of Jan. Is the weather nice enough that we could enjoy a little sightseeing?

Thanks for your help!
We booked hotel Galvez through Disney for 1 night pre cruise stay and arranged Disney transfer from airport to hotel and then hotel to port. Flying home straight after disembarkation using the transfer so don't know whether it would have been available the following day. Best just phone and ask. By the way the Disney rate for the Hotel equalled the best other rate I could find. I know the hotel is supposed to be haunted, in particular room 501 so hope we don't end up with that one, mind you we are sailing at Halloween!
Tangoqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #146
ShelleyLynn
Mouseketeer

Transportation Question

We are taking the March 1-9 cruise from Galveston. We are flying in on Southwest, arriving at 8:15am. I know there are two airports in Houston and I think SW comes into Hobby not Bush. Will we have big traffic problems from the airport to the port at that time of morning? Should we book Disney transfer or could we get there faster with a private transfer? Any recommendations on local transfer options? Our whole group will be total of 7 so we would need a van. I really don't want to fool around with car rental. Thanks so much for any advice
ShelleyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #147
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

FYI on the shuttles to the airports. I confirmed with DCL on Friday that shuttles will be available from both Hobby and IAH on days of cruise embarkation and debarkation THRU May 2013. So, all May cruises will have DCL transfers available from both airports.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #148
Jaybear
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post

You are in a good location since you are near the Pleasure Pier!

There's a lot along the seawall in that location: The Spot and Fishtales are great. I know a lot of people like Gaidos/Caseys, but it is overpriced and run down in my humble opinion. On the Seawall, I also like Marios for good Italian and Salsa's for Mexican.

I'm not a huge fan of Rainforest Cafe's food, but my kids LOVE it, so we go regularly. They even have a very tame jungle raft ride, which my kids also love. The service is always very good.

If you want to explore a little, Mosquito Cafe on 14th (outstanding variety, awesome breakfast), Olympia on Harborside (excellent mix of Greek food and a variety of seafood prepared other ways, right on the water by the cruise port), Sunflower Cafe (also on 14th).

Have fun!
Jaybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #149
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Gaido's is a sadly diminished shell of itself. There was a time when it was one of the best restaurants in Texas. It's not even one of the best restaurants in Galveston at this point. I don't recommend it.

There are no truly outstanding restaurants on the island. Agree with Mosquito and Sunflower Cafe recs. The Old Original Mexican cafe (close to the medical school) is pretty good for Tex-Mex. Shearn's at Moody Gardens has the "best" food IMO--but the menu, the atmosphere and the clientele are all dated. Definitely not a place for young children, coat/tie type of place.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #150
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Thanks, Jaybear. We will have one full day in Galveston before the cruise. Definitely going to the RR museum (though considering it for the day we disembark because they have train rides on Saturdays).

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: