Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer
 
slg4crzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 239

One thing to consider is there might be a time difference between ship time and Cozumel. They are central time I believe but how does our time change for daylight savings factor into what the time different if any would be. Confused yet?
slg4crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
fredgirls
DIS Veteran
 
fredgirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NB, Canada, 2811kms from Mickey
Posts: 859

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg4crzn View Post
One thing to consider is there might be a time difference between ship time and Cozumel. They are central time I believe but how does our time change for daylight savings factor into what the time different if any would be. Confused yet?
Ha Ha! Yes! But it doesn't take much!
I'd read about that somewhere else too! I'm assuming the arrival time they give you is local time, as they do with flights?
__________________
Me DH DD(14) DD(10)

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer
 
slg4crzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 239

No, port times are ship time not local. Always stay on ship time. I keep my phone on plane mode as soon as the ship leaves. I have been on cruises where the ship changes time. One hour this way then one hour back. Just always be on ship time.
slg4crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
pillow
DIS Veteran
 
pillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznLexi View Post
We did this nearly 3 years ago. Loved it. You get to get in the water with them and feed them and play with them for around 30min. In Florida you will never be able to do this it is highly illegal. I booked it on line and had taxi take us there. It was around $10.
In Crystal River, Florida, you are allowed to swim with manatees. We are planning to do this before our cruise in January. These are not captive manatees but those that congregate in the rivers there every year.

http://www.riverventures.com/

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
fredgirls
DIS Veteran
 
fredgirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NB, Canada, 2811kms from Mickey
Posts: 859

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
In Crystal River, Florida, you are allowed to swim with manatees. We are planning to do this before our cruise in January. These are not captive manatees but those that congregate in the rivers there every year.

http://www.riverventures.com/

Jodie
Wonderful information thank you!.
__________________
Me DH DD(14) DD(10)

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
fredgirls
DIS Veteran
 
fredgirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NB, Canada, 2811kms from Mickey
Posts: 859

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg4crzn View Post
No, port times are ship time not local. Always stay on ship time. I keep my phone on plane mode as soon as the ship leaves. I have been on cruises where the ship changes time. One hour this way then one hour back. Just always be on ship time.
OK. So.. Cozumel is central, but ship will stay eastern. Cozumel adheres to daylight savings, so when we arrive at 8.30am, it will actually be 7.30am Cozumel time.

Is that right?
That would mean we'd definitely have time to make the 10am encounter. If of course there are taxis out at that time!
__________________
Me DH DD(14) DD(10)

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
owensamo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls

OK. So.. Cozumel is central, but ship will stay eastern. Cozumel adheres to daylight savings, so when we arrive at 8.30am, it will actually be 7.30am Cozumel time.

Is that right?
That would mean we'd definitely have time to make the 10am encounter. If of course there are taxis out at that time!
I have not sailed a DCL Western itinerary, but the eastern cruises I've sailed on DCL all had time changes so ship time matched local time. This included the EBTA. I'm pretty sure we always changed time on a sea day between ports so the time change didn't mess up excursion times, as well.
__________________
Aulani - June-July 2014; Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort - 2002, 2006
Disneyland - 1976, July 2012; Walt Disney World - 1984, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, Nov 2014
Disney Wonder: 4N - 4/15/07, 6/1/08; 5N - 6/8/10, 6/13/10 (B2B); Disney Fantasy: 7N - 6/29/13, 7/6/13 (B2B)
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #23
fredgirls
DIS Veteran
 
fredgirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NB, Canada, 2811kms from Mickey
Posts: 859

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensamo View Post
I have not sailed a DCL Western itinerary, but the eastern cruises I've sailed on DCL all had time changes so ship time matched local time. This included the EBTA. I'm pretty sure we always changed time on a sea day between ports so the time change didn't mess up excursion times, as well.
Thanks for the clarification.
__________________
Me DH DD(14) DD(10)

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #24
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice
 
Golden Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 953

I just wanted to add that we didn't do the official swim with the manatees when we were there in February, but we did the Dolphin Push, Pull, and Swim, and they gave us a free short interaction with the manatees. We didn't feed them, but we got into the water with them and pet them.

What really surprised us was that they were covered in algae. This is apparently completely normal because they are slow moving, but it was more than a little disconcerting when we first touched them.

We are doing a 2pm dolphin interaction with a 3:45 ship return time, and I am definitely a little worried about the time. I don't usually like to push it time wise, and this does worry me a little. I'm pretty sure we'll have time to complete the interaction, but we may not have time to buy the photos. It would save us money, at least ;-)
__________________

(me) (DH) (DS 8) (DD 3) (4 cats) (52 fish) (and a frog)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #25
eeyoremommy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 675

We swam with the manatees at Chankanaab in June. The ship changes its time to match Cozumel time. There are no troubles there. I believe we did the 2:00 time slot. It is a 30 minute swim. For some reason, we were the only ones scheduled for that time, so it was just DH, DS, and myself. We had an incredible time. We got there a little early, and DS swam in the pool there. We have done the sea lion swim there as well on a different cruise. We booked through the website and told them we were staying locally as you cannot book through them directly if you tell them you are cruising with DCL. I highly recommend the experience. They do take a lot of pictures. The cost of the CD depends on the number of people in your group. The CD will be charged to your credit card in pesos if you do not pay cash (FYI - Your credit card company may hit you with a fee for converting the currency). Our DS was 8 at the time, and it was the highlight of his cruise. Getting a taxi is easy both there and back. The suggestion is to arrive 30 minutes prior, but we have had people get there later and still participate. We returned back to the ship in plenty of time. We chose the later swim because DH and I wanted to go a few places before we headed over.
eeyoremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
fredgirls
DIS Veteran
 
fredgirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NB, Canada, 2811kms from Mickey
Posts: 859

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoremommy View Post
We swam with the manatees at Chankanaab in June. The ship changes its time to match Cozumel time. There are no troubles there. I believe we did the 2:00 time slot. It is a 30 minute swim. For some reason, we were the only ones scheduled for that time, so it was just DH, DS, and myself. We had an incredible time. We got there a little early, and DS swam in the pool there. We have done the sea lion swim there as well on a different cruise. We booked through the website and told them we were staying locally as you cannot book through them directly if you tell them you are cruising with DCL. I highly recommend the experience. They do take a lot of pictures. The cost of the CD depends on the number of people in your group. The CD will be charged to your credit card in pesos if you do not pay cash (FYI - Your credit card company may hit you with a fee for converting the currency). Our DS was 8 at the time, and it was the highlight of his cruise. Getting a taxi is easy both there and back. The suggestion is to arrive 30 minutes prior, but we have had people get there later and still participate. We returned back to the ship in plenty of time. We chose the later swim because DH and I wanted to go a few places before we headed over.
Thank you so much. This is very helpful.
__________________
Me DH DD(14) DD(10)

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.