Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #526
Glennie5
DIS Veteran

So far I have only had a chance to read the first and last page of this thread but wanted to let you know that I am so glad to hear you are moving back to Canada and you will have your mother there to help you make the move home.
2013 May(Port Orleans Riverside),2011 Dec.(All Star Movies), 2011 Aug.(Port Orleans Riverside), 2011 May(Port Orleans Riverside), 2010 May(Port Orleans Riverside), 2009 Feb.(All Star Sports)&(Port Orleans Riverside), 2008 Sept.(Port Orleans Riverside)&(Caribbean Beach), 2008 Jan.(Port Orleans Riverside), 2007 May(Port Orleans Riverside) 2007 March(Port Orleans Riverside), 2006 Oct.(Off Site) 2006 March(Fort Wilderness Cabins), 2005 May(Off Site), 2003 Feb.(Off Site),
Old 10-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #527
shelemm
DIS Veteran

The ultimate goal of the OP should be to get the father to relinquish all rights. This guy is seriously ****ed up, and he will only bring more sadness and misery into your life. His girlfriend is unstable and so is he. He wil present a lingering danger to any chance of future happiness. Consult with an attorney on strategies to pressure him to eventually relinquish. It is to protect your well-being and that of the child. Do not let him hang around in your life.

You are your greatest gift to your parents. And this grandchild will be the greatest gift to all of you. You do not really need a thing from this guy except to stay away.

Get your ducks in a row, settle things financially with the house, and pressure him to relinquish.

He says he doesnt want this child, dont let him change his mind or you will regret his presence. It will make your present trouble look like a picnic.

You have everything to look forward to, even though its a scary time of sudden and drastic change. Your future can be one of love and hope or abandonment and regret.

Sorry to come on so strongly, but your life will be so happy once you remove yourself from his poisonous ways. Nothing good can come from this guy
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #528
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

If you had a good relationship with your in laws I suggest writing them a letter. There is no way he should have the chance to make up stories as to why you left the country. I am not suggesting telling them everything, what you tell them is up to you. I am just saying that they should hear from you why you decided to return to Canada before the birth of their grandchild.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #529
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
If you had a good relationship with your in laws I suggest writing them a letter. There is no way he should have the chance to make up stories as to why you left the country. I am not suggesting telling them everything, what you tell them is up to you. I am just saying that they should hear from you why you decided to return to Canada before the birth of their grandchild.
If she does this she should have her attorney look over it. I would be scared that they try to fight for some kind of custody or visitation and may use the letter to help them in some way.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #530
mrsksomeday

That's fine, I just wouldn't leave without a word to them. If she has a good relationship I would think she would at least tell them goodbye. She could run it by the lawyer, heck even let the lawyer mail it after she leaves.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #531
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's fine, I just wouldn't leave without a word to them. If she has a good relationship I would think she would at least tell them goodbye. She could run it by the lawyer, heck even let the lawyer mail it after she leaves.
I know that is a huge temptation however she has to put the baby's safety first. If the IL's are good people and understanding then perhaps they can visit her.

The less said the better.

Anyway, never put ANYTHING in writing. That is just basic CYA 101.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #532
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianjovigirl View Post
I did ask a lawyer friend of mine about this and she advised that jurisdiction for the custody must take place where the child resides.

I was aware of this for inter-province custody hearings as when i left my ex my lawyer advised me to move and then file there or i would be stuck returning to the province i filed in to complete it. My sis in law also moved provinces without my brothers knowledge and when he filed with the courts for access he had to file it in the province the child resided in.

Child support and custody is never dealt with here in the same hearing either. Looks like it will all work to the op's advantage to file in Canada for custody as then the hearings will take place where the child resides.
This is true and the reason everyone said from the very beginning of the thread that OP should take her pregnant self to Canada. The minute that baby is born the husband has rights to him, whether he is in Canada or the US. The reason for going to Canada is that all custody issues will be decided in a Canadian court, which will be wary of letting the child go out of the country. They will most likely allow visitation, but only in Canada. If the baby is born in the US, all issues will be decided in the US and OP will be unable to get her son out of the country for the same reasons.

About signing away his parental rights...I am not sure how that would work. I have only heard of that being allowed when there has been a long period of neglect and another father (step) willing to step in and assume responsibility. The state wants the deadbeats on the hook for child support if at all possible. Also, the grandparents are liable to raise a huge stink. They themselves do not necessarily have rights (though there are several states which allow grandparents' some rights to visitation) but they can force the ex not to give up his rights so that they can see the baby.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #533
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
A child has a right to a good and loving father that wants him. This child doesn't have that. A child deserves to have a father that wants him and will be there for him, and put his needs first.

That is not the case here at all. Will the father grow up, maybe, who knows, and right now, who cares. The OP, and the child is better off without him. OP should not have to bend over backwards to forge a relationship with him.

If he wants to later, that is up to the OP. I hope she can file everything in Canada and the Candian courts can make the decisions.

I know my sons were so much better off that their sperm donor disappeared. The money that I never received (that the court ordered), wouldn't have been worth it, if he had been in the picture. My sons are now grown men, and doing very well.
My friend, who was in a similar situation with a similar type of man, always said that she wished she had never said who the father was. The pittance she was supposed to get, which she seldom got, wasn't worth the years of aggravation he caused.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Old 10-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #534
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
She should wait to make any contact until she is safely in Canada (IMHO)
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #535
mrsksomeday

I agree. That is why I said have the lawyer look it over to make sure anything she writes doesn't cause issues down the line and let him mail it after she is gone.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #536
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Oh gosh, OP, I am so sorry. Just read most of this thread. Very sad BUT I am glad you are going home. You need to be with family that will support you emotionally at this time. You have INDEED made the RIGHT decision to go home.

Please update us when you get to Canada.

KAR

Old 10-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #537
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
My friend, who was in a similar situation with a similar type of man, always said that she wished she had never said who the father was. The pittance she was supposed to get, which she seldom got, wasn't worth the years of aggravation he caused.
Hmmm, interesting thought. Can the OP keep the father off the birth certificate if they were married at time of birth?

OP, that might be something you want to consider and ask your lawyer about.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #538
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Hmmm, interesting thought. Can the OP keep the father off the birth certificate if they were married at time of birth?

Probably not.

If I were the OP, I'd do my best to convince him that if he really had no interest in being a father that I would not fight him in signing away his parental rights.

I would be interested to be a fly on the wall when his parents find out this whole situation. I am quite certain he is going to "spin" it to sound like the OP went nuts and left. That's why keeping proof of his dalliance (ie-text meesages from the GF etc.) is a good idea. Blood is thicker than water, but the OP did mention that she has a good relationship with her in-laws so they might be the rare ones who realize that their child is an idiot.....especially if the OP can provide them with poof.

Take that computer with you too OP. If you two share a computer, put all his stuff on a thumb drive and leave that for him, but take the computer. It has a history on it somewhere that someone can get off if necessary to prove his behavior.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Old 10-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #539
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

They're married, so leaving him off the birth certificate would do no good. He will still have paternal responsibility.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #540
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post

Probably not. At least, if she gave birth in the US, that can be an ordeal - keeping a spouse off a birth certificate initially might not be hard but he can be added easily. He is also the presumed father since they are married, even if he isn't named on the birth certificate, and would have rights and responsibilities such as child support. At least, that is my limited understanding. That probably varies by state though.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: