Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
cfriend416
DIS Veteran

Whole milk in Disney World?

My sister was wondering if any of the quick service restaurants in the parks have whole milk? They will be transitioning my niece from formula to whole milk around the time we will be going, but we haven't seen whole milk on any of the menus.
cfriend416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfriend416 View Post
My sister was wondering if any of the quick service restaurants in the parks have whole milk? They will be transitioning my niece from formula to whole milk around the time we will be going, but we haven't seen whole milk on any of the menus.
I would hope they would....but you know how Disney has been lately about trying to force us to eat more healthy, so I wouldn't be surprised if all's available is 2 percent. Babies need the whole milk though.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
merina888
Mouseketeer

We got our whole milk from the food court at our resort. I'm not sure if the QS locations have it, but you could grab some from your food court.
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
crazybones27
DVC Member

I ran out of milk while we were at MK. The only place I found with whole milk at the time was at Cosmic Rays. It was the only time I ran out since I was bringing the milk from our room so I can't comment on anywhere else . You may want to pop in the baby centers to see if they have it on hand just in case while you're exploring the parks. They carry a lot of stuff for sale so it might be possible they have whole milk at one of them.
crazybones27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

Oddly, whole milk is available as a beverage for adult meals, but not with kid's meals, and the only low-fat (non-chocolate) milk available was the half-pints for kids. This means you get it in pint bottles. I'm trying to think of where else I saw it...

Sunshine Seasons
Fountainview Cafe
Main Street Bakery
Rosie's All American Cafe
Studio Catering Company

There are probably more, my parents are milk drinkers, and we kept running into "Do you want whole milk, or kid's mickey milk"
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Whole milk is available at some restaurants, just not all. But a 1 year old can drink 1% or 2% while on vacation and be just fine. In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics changed their stance on whole milk in 2008 to recommend that children in families with a history of obesity or heart disease switch directly to 2% milk at 1 year of age. So if the whole milk is available, great. If not, serve the lowfat milk and don't give it a second thought.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie'sMom
Whole milk is available at some restaurants, just not all. But a 1 year old can drink 1% or 2% while on vacation and be just fine. In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics changed their stance on whole milk in 2008 to recommend that children in families with a history of obesity or heart disease switch directly to 2% milk at 1 year of age. So if the whole milk is available, great. If not, serve the lowfat milk and don't give it a second thought.
Agreed! They also now make "toddler" formula that your sis could bring if she is worried about the child's nutrition.
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for a Poly dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Most DVC related resorts have 1/2 gallon cartons of whole milk available in the supply stores.

At AKL - Jambo at Zawadi Marketplace & Kidani at Johari Treasures Gift Shop - I have noticed 1/2 gallon of whole milk when I buy our 1/2 gallon of skim milk for cereal. Also, resort CS locations, I have noticed small cartons probably 6-8 ounce cartons of whole milk.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Dvc gift shops have whole milk. Also, in Epcot at the America pavillion they have ice cold while milk in little bottles. We were thrilled when we found this for our DD. We always asked for whole milk and if not 2% was fine for her at 12.5 months.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie'sMom View Post
I agree with this. My when we were transitioning our dd to whole milk from formula, we noticed that she was drinking less milk than she should. We went on vacation and the only milk we could get was 2% and 1%. She started drinking more milk. When we got home, talked to the pediatrician and she said that my dd probably didn't like the thickness of the whole milk and that 2% was fine.

So, a few days of 2% or 1% are not going to make a difference in her nutrition as long as the child is also eating well.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
cfriend416
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone for your replies!
cfriend416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
lucifie
DIS Veteran

With my kids we always did whole milk at home, but if we were out we'd do 2% if whole milk wasn't available. Except for the first, I pretty much switched to 2% full time around 18 months because I got sick of buying two kinds of milk. Now we switch between 1% and 2%, depending on which kid(s) is with me and which color label they like better.

Tags
baby, infant, milk

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: