Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Podcast Cruises
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #16
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Enabler View Post
We don't know much about pin trading. Do you take newbies?
Carol - Pin trading is basically, trading one of your Disney pins, for one of someone else's Disney pins. Disney releases pins in their parks, resorts, Disney Vacation club (and cruise line) all across the globe. Those who generally travel to Disneyland might not get a chance to see EuroDisneyland pins ... or WDW pins.

You can purchase news pins direct from Disney (at resorts, etc) ... but I would not suggest buying new pins to use as traders. If you have an account on eBay, and IF you are familiar AND comfortable with using eBay ... you might consider buying a set of 20, 30, 40+ pins. You can usually buy them for under $1 per pin, verses $6 - $12 per pin (when new). If you DO buy online ... I would suggest you ONLY buy from someone who sells other Disney pins, or Disney merchandise. I would also suggest you DO NOT buy from someone outside of US / Canada. There are many sellers from Asian countries who sell what are called SCRAPPERS ... basically, the pins are rejects.

Many cast members in customer service or retail (including ship officers) wear a lanyard with Disney pins. If you see anyone with a lanyard (around their neck (some wear them on a hip pad), you can ask to trade with them. You may pick 1 or two of their pins, so long as you give them the same number of Disney pins in trade. One more rule is that they cannot accept a duplicate pin ... you cannot give them two of the same pins, or, you cannot give them pin "x" if they already have it on their lanyard (they will help you if you have questions).

Steven

DCL MAGIC: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise ('99), 7 night Eastern Caribbean ('01), 7 night Western Caribbean ('06), 15 night EB Panama Canal - Inaugural to Aruba & Cartagena (Aug-Sep '08), Eastern Caribbean / Inaugural Tortola (April-May '09), Eastern Caribbean / St. Croix (Ooops - Tortola, again) (Dec '09), 14 night EB TransAtlantic, Florida to Barcelona (April '10), 12 night EB TransAtlantic, Galveston to Barcelona (May '13), 7 night Southern Caribbean, R/T San Juan (Sept/Oct '14), 15 night EB TransAtlantic (Florida to Copenhagen) (May '15)
DCL WONDER: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise (April '08), LA - Vancouver REPO (Apr/May '11), -B2B- Inaugural Alaska (May '11)
DCL FANTASY: 7 night Maiden Voyage: Western Caribbean (March '12), 7 night podCast 4.0 Western Caribbean (Dec '12), 7 night San Juan/Western Caribbean (Apr '15)
DISapalooza: WWOHP / Universal (Dec '12)
DISNEY ON BROADWAY: Mary Poppins @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2012, Spiderman (Marvel) @ Foxwoods Theatre - 2012, The Lion King @ Minskoff Theatre - 2013, Aladdin @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2014
NON-DCL: RCCL Freedom FROM the Seas, Western Caribbean, Jan 2014; Celebrity Horizon, 7 night Philadelphia - Bermuda; HAL Noordam, 10 night NYC - Caribbean; Princess, 7 night FL-Caribbean; Carnival (don't waste my time)
sdlong329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #17
sdlong329

I have a very nice collection of pins ... but do not bring them while traveling. When I am on specialty cruises, I try to pick up a few extra "unique" pins. I'd consider attending a pin trader event, if it is posted online, or it is listed on the podCast events. If listed on the podCast events, I am SURE you will get many people to attend.

Steven

DCL MAGIC: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise ('99), 7 night Eastern Caribbean ('01), 7 night Western Caribbean ('06), 15 night EB Panama Canal - Inaugural to Aruba & Cartagena (Aug-Sep '08), Eastern Caribbean / Inaugural Tortola (April-May '09), Eastern Caribbean / St. Croix (Ooops - Tortola, again) (Dec '09), 14 night EB TransAtlantic, Florida to Barcelona (April '10), 12 night EB TransAtlantic, Galveston to Barcelona (May '13), 7 night Southern Caribbean, R/T San Juan (Sept/Oct '14), 15 night EB TransAtlantic (Florida to Copenhagen) (May '15)
DCL WONDER: 4 night Bahamas practice cruise (April '08), LA - Vancouver REPO (Apr/May '11), -B2B- Inaugural Alaska (May '11)
DCL FANTASY: 7 night Maiden Voyage: Western Caribbean (March '12), 7 night podCast 4.0 Western Caribbean (Dec '12), 7 night San Juan/Western Caribbean (Apr '15)
DISNEY ON BROADWAY: Mary Poppins @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2012, Spiderman (Marvel) @ Foxwoods Theatre - 2012, The Lion King @ Minskoff Theatre - 2013, Aladdin @ New Amsterdam Theatre - 2014
NON-DCL: RCCL Freedom FROM the Seas, Western Caribbean, Jan 2014; Celebrity Horizon, 7 night Philadelphia - Bermuda; HAL Noordam, 10 night NYC - Caribbean; Princess, 7 night FL-Caribbean; Carnival (don't waste my time)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #18
tink576
Think of the Happiest Things, Fairies, Princesses and Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
I have a very nice collection of pins ... but do not bring them while traveling. When I am on specialty cruises, I try to pick up a few extra "unique" pins. I'd consider attending a pin trader event, if it is posted online, or it is listed on the podCast events. If listed on the podCast events, I am SURE you will get many people to attend.

Steven
Well I hope you consider joining us for a trading event. Right now we are trying to find how much interest there is to be able to coordinate to see how much space we will need (which would also factor in to deciding when and where it would be held). Anyone reading who's interested please speak up, to help me get an idea for numbers. As we get an idea with numbers closer to, we'll have more details. John has been very gracious and has mentioned that if people are interested it'll go on the schedule.

tink576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
tink576

I'm interested to know, what does everyone like to collect? I personally love Figment and Goofy, I have a ton of hidden Mickey pins but I think I have given up on that set, every time I think I complete it they add another pin to the set.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #20
tink576

Quote:

You can purchase news pins direct from Disney (at resorts, etc) ... but I would not suggest buying new pins to use as traders. If you have an account on eBay, and IF you are familiar AND comfortable with using eBay ... you might consider buying a set of 20, 30, 40+ pins. You can usually buy them for under $1 per pin, verses $6 - $12 per pin (when new). If you DO buy online ... I would suggest you ONLY buy from someone who sells other Disney pins, or Disney merchandise. I would also suggest you DO NOT buy from someone outside of US / Canada. There are many sellers from Asian countries who sell what are called SCRAPPERS ... basically, the pins are rejects.

Steven
Be careful, most of eBay sellers are scrapers...not all but a good portion. Check on the collectors board, I've also seen it pop up on the budget board, they have lists of good eBay sellers who are known to be good or bad.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

I have bought (mostly off ebay) and collected Wall E, UP, Enchanted, and Ratatouille pins, these I keep and dont trade. I have them displayed nicely at home I also trade random pins for just ones I like in the parks and also display those on a large pin board, its really fun, pulled out my bag of traders last night and I had about 30 left cant wait for this event
Old 10-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrose18
I have bought (mostly off ebay) and collected Wall E, UP, Enchanted, and Ratatouille pins, these I keep and dont trade. I have them displayed nicely at home I also trade random pins for just ones I like in the parks and also display those on a large pin board, its really fun, pulled out my bag of traders last night and I had about 30 left cant wait for this event
We love Wall-E

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #23
tink576

I like Wall-E too, but I've only ever seen 1 pin of him. How do you display your collection at home? I have 3 shadow boxes but I need to come up with a new idea because I've run out of room in the boxes.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:27 AM   #24
paulasillars
Body in New Zealand, mind in Walt Disney World
Winner of the ABD Potty Olympics

Pins

I'd love to trade, I don't have any opportunities unless we are in the US so I will be sure to bring my traders with me

paulasillars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #25
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink576
I like Wall-E too, but I've only ever seen 1 pin of him. How do you display your collection at home? I have 3 shadow boxes but I need to come up with a new idea because I've run out of room in the boxes.
Hmm.... We have 3 Wall-E pins.....he's the forgotten about Pixar character

Yes, shadow boxes. We have one for holiday pins, one for DCL/pirate pins, and one for the rest. DD also has one for hers.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #26
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

I have about 40 wall e pins when they first came out I bought every one, the last year or two just the ones I like. But I did score all of the dsf ones upon release, so they are worth quite a bit of money (oh and i spent quite a bit too ).... I will post pics later of my display's!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #27
sdlong329

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink576 View Post
I'm interested to know, what does everyone like to collect? I personally love Figment and Goofy, I have a ton of hidden Mickey pins but I think I have given up on that set, every time I think I complete it they add another pin to the set.
I prefer to collect specialty and LTD ED pins ... including DCL, World of Disney, Cast Member and Walt Disney Family Museum. I also collect unique Tinkerbell, Donald, and Jessica Rabbit pins.

Steven

Old 10-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #28
sdlong329

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink576 View Post
Be careful, most of eBay sellers are scrapers...not all but a good portion. Check on the collectors board, I've also seen it pop up on the budget board, they have lists of good eBay sellers who are known to be good or bad.
I disagree! I know I am not a scrapper, and I am quite sure I am not listed on any collectors board (do you have a link ... not sure of which board you are referring?). As noted, check their feedback, check what they have been selling and buying. If you are not familiar or used to eBay, this may not be the best way to get your feet wet.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
tink576

Quote:
I disagree! I know I am not a scrapper, and I am quite sure I am not listed on any collectors board (do you have a link ... not sure of which board you are referring?). As noted, check their feedback, check what they have been selling and buying. If you are not familiar or used to eBay, this may not be the best way to get your feet wet.
I know not everyone is a scrapper...the problem is that many people who don't have experience ordering pins off ebay don't even know there is such a thing as scrappers and are dumbfounded when they get to the parks and it is explained to them. Typically when a person looks on ebay they are looking for the best "deal" the problem is if you get the best price you don't always get real pins. I just want people to be aware that there are many scrappers out there and you have to be on the lookout. Didn't mean anything against you. The threads on the collectors board was created from dis'ers posting on their experiences buying pins from different sellers.

Here's a link to the thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419

Taken from the thread:
"Major piece of advice: DON'T BUY BIG LOTS! They are often full of scrappers. Try to buy individual pins!

Also, don't just judge a seller by their feedback! I have been burned with scrappers by sellers with 100% positive feedback! The problem is that the majority of eBay buyers don't know what a scrapper is, or they don't know how to tell whether or not a pin is a scrapper."

Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #30
tink576

Anyone collect Hidden Mickey's? I just realized that a ton of new ones have been released since my last trip?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: