Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #631
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2
Hi Cynthia! Love the updates! Makes me want to plan for Vero - only problem is, Aulani is calling my name really loudly now.
Oh it's calling my name too! The airfare is my hurdle. Vero is just lovely though

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2
Your Oct plans look great - lots packed in.
So excited! 4 days!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs
Your pictures of the beach make me want to be on vacation so bad right now!
Me too

Quote:
Did your kids get sunburned? The pics of Evan in the sand look like he was getting progressively more pink. Hope that wasn't the case.
Well I think the editing I did enhanced it in a couple of pictures. Good eye, I wondered if anyone would catch that.

Seems obvious in the pictures. In that bright sun, with sunglasses on, not so much.

Evan is that kid. The "I don't burn" kid. The I'm too cool for a swim shirt/rash guard. At 13 I have to pick my battles. Eric burns if you look at him, so we watch him closely. But Evan? Sometimes the best thing is for him to learn the hard way.

Quote:
Your "not the best morning" reminded me of a melt down I had a couple of trips ago. Something to do with rental cars if I remember correctly (why is it always rental cars?). Different people needing to pick up cars on different days and it was in the middle of the day when I wanted to be somewhere else, and Todd was expected to be the chauffer. Not my finest moment either. I can definitely sympathize with how you were feeling.
It is so hard when you feel certain moments you'd really looked forward to slipping away due to things beyond your control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark
Cynthia, I am so sorry I missed two updates. Between work and moving my mom to the Nursing Home and the Engagement Party, life has been hectic to say the least.
I'm impressed you are on the boards at all!

Quote:
Sorry you had to work on vacation...it sounds very frustrating what you were trying to do. And I don't blame you for the meltdown with not getting to go to the beach when you wanted. I mean...you did ALL the planning for this trip, they should have gone with you.
I could have made the E's go and opted not to. All Jeff really knew at that point was I wanted out of the room, not that it was as beach focused as it was.

Quote:
The beach pictures are beautiful...it looks so serene and clean.

An adult beverage with lunch is just what you needed, I'd say.
Yeah, probably should have made one before I left the room the first time lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl
I wish I could have a drink with lunch at work some days! That's frowned upon though.
I'll have to do that on vacation like you did! I can't wait!
Yeah, the days of the 3 martini lunches at over huh. Vacation is a better place for it I think lol. Vacation is actually the only time I will do it at lunch, any other time I'd need a nap after a drink in the middle of the day! On vacation...I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl
I'm finally caught up! Thank you so much for the links, it made it much easier
Welcome back!

Quote:
As I was reading, I was mentally making note of the different things I wanted to comment on, but then I decided that the list was far too long and that everything I had to say had probably already been said by someone else, so I'll refrain!

I will comment on this last update though because I can so relate to how you were feeling that morning. I often have a plan in my head about how I want certain things to go and I am very guilty of not sharing said plan and then getting irritated when things don't go how I wanted them to - something I need to work on, I know....
I think most of us, females anyway, are guilty of that. It's funny the spoken and unspoken wishes we all have. Often the unspoken are much more important to us yet we don't share them. I wonder why that is?

Quote:

I'm glad your day turned around and you got to enjoy the beach after all!

I'm really excited to hear about the turtle walk, think you'll get that far before you leave on Tuesday?
I'm not sure. I'll get at least one more update up, but may be writing the title walk update on the plane lol! We still have a few adventures before we get to the actual walk and that will definitely get it's own update.

I was hoping to post the update today as I'm at a trade show and have downtime but the Internet connection is crummy.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #632
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Snit does happen!

And I doubled up. Snit happens with family AND work.

Oh yes. Guess who was supposed to proof something for the brochure and never received it?? Yup that would be me.
No worries- I proofed what I gave again with what I submitted and the official aquatics brochure designee will double check what I submitted against what is supposed to be printed.

Quote:
Well, I think it depends on the man. I've had previous relationships where voicing it wouldn't have made an iota of difference nor would I have felt understood. Jeff on the other hand.....
Oh I totally agree. Someone that understands what your goals are for a trip or otherwise make better mindreaders. But to be able to open up and know that will be accepted is priceless.

Quote:
Love that line, definitely keeping it.

Love it too.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #633
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Oh yes. Guess who was supposed to proof something for the brochure and never received it?? Yup that would be me.
No worries- I proofed what I gave again with what I submitted and the official aquatics brochure designee will double check what I submitted against what is supposed to be printed.
I hear you there. 1 mailing and 2 proposals out there waiting to come back to me to finish up.

Did I get anything today?

Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Oh I totally agree. Someone that understands what your goals are for a trip or otherwise make better mindreaders. But to be able to open up and know that will be accepted is priceless.
Priceless is right. Generally speaking Jeff does better than the average bear, no complaints 99% of the time. I let him off the hook the rest.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #634
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Good thing you rented everything so you wouldn't get sand all over the villa!

I don't know how I feel about the rental fees for the chairs and umbrellas. On one hand, it eliminates the towel game where someone gets up at 0-dark:30 to plaster loungers with towels to reserve them, but really, aren't these trips costly enough???

I love everything about the beach (including the sand). I love the sounds, I love the smell and I find waves are mesmerizing to watch. I always bring a book to the beach, but I never end up reading it because I am always watching the ocean.

Love your pictures!

This was the first time at a warm beach for your boys?

Cynthia- I'm not sure if I will get back here before your trip, but I want to wish you and your friends a spectacular trip! It truly sounds like the most amazing getaway ever!

I would say "Don't do anything I wouldn't do" but I'm actually pretty boring- so do EVERYTHING I wouldn't do. And think of me as strains of Jimmy Buffett play over the speakers while you are drinking something tequilla-ey.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #635
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Good thing you rented everything so you wouldn't get sand all over the villa!

He did go straight into the ocean.

it wasn't so much about sand all over the villa, it was more about sand all over MY towel and then by default, me. If I had 2 towels, lying on the sand is fine, though not ideal for my neck but when it's part on, part off, sand seems to get into the crevices of anything and everything. The chairs just helped alleviate that a little.

Quote:
I don't know how I feel about the rental fees for the chairs and umbrellas. On one hand, it eliminates the towel game where someone gets up at 0-dark:30 to plaster loungers with towels to reserve them, but really, aren't these trips costly enough???
It is a public beach so they can't really just have them up and out for anyone and everyone so I get a fee for set up and take down but the prices were steep. I'd originally discounted the idea entirely but was persuaded by many who'd been, that they were worth it. And they were.

Quote:
I love everything about the beach (including the sand). I love the sounds, I love the smell and I find waves are mesmerizing to watch. I always bring a book to the beach, but I never end up reading it because I am always watching the ocean.
I do the same. Reading poolside, no problem. At the beach, I'll just close my eyes and listen to the sound of the surf. Pretty sure that's what heaven sounds like.

Quote:
Love your pictures!

This was the first time at a warm beach for your boys?
thanks! It was, we'd been to other warm beaches but...it had NOT been warm when we were there so they'd never actually swum, played in the sand, snorkeled or used a boogie board. All new to them.

Quote:
Cynthia- I'm not sure if I will get back here before your trip, but I want to wish you and your friends a spectacular trip! It truly sounds like the most amazing getaway ever!
I am SO excited, can't come fast enough. ONE more work day!

Quote:
I would say "Don't do anything I wouldn't do" but I'm actually pretty boring- so do EVERYTHING I wouldn't do. And think of me as strains of Jimmy Buffett play over the speakers while you are drinking something tequilla-ey.

LOL! Sadly I will probably not hear anything remotely buffetty unless we play it in the villa. Which actually is a spectacular idea while we make our Turtle Krawls, or enjoy one on the verandah, the drinks we are copying from the Gurgling Suitcase and making in the villa.

I doubt you are boring at all
Old 10-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #636
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

When we'd looked at the activity list the night before, Archery had been identified as something the E's really wanted to do.

And apparently they wanted it more than they wanted to stay at the beach.

Only one person guessed correctly, and even identified the activity!

One slushie credit for Mark (aka Captian Oblivious)!

I admit, I was a little bummed. Purely selfishly, I'd have stayed at the beach. But, I was cooled off in all ways that mattered, had gotten a little beach in and really...the trip was about the kids and whatever they wanted to do. New and different things and going with the flow so I was ok with it. I assumed Kendall and Jeff would but instead, they decided to follow us and check it out. First order of business was to check in at Ebb and Flo's. Apparently half the resort wanted to do the activity as well!

I have no idea what Evan is doing in these pictures

First they hand out the equipment by Ebb and Flo's, which is located behind the pool.

And then you stare at it like it might bite you

Truthfully this part wasn't all that interesting to me to watch so instead, I found this on the sidewalk to take a picture of.

Training complete (I paid a lot of attention to it huh), we headed out of the main resort area. The archery field is across the street from the resort where some additional property is located. If you stop by Glennbos TR, you'll see what Fishing at Vero looks like! And actual pictures of the Neverland tunnel, which apparently I didn't photograph.

Just before the archery field, is a small soccer field

The target was nestled in the woods

Now the real instructions started

While the E's learned where to point, and where not to point&.the other half of our crew checked out the goals. They had remembered there were soccer fields (ok field, and a small one at that) over where we were headed and had checked out a ball from Ebb and Flo's.

The guy on the fence cracked me up. I saw him everywhere during our stay.
And he never had shoes on.

The archers were lined up by age

If an arrow went astray, it could end up here and not so fun to find

Oops, not an arrow, a soccer ball. Some over zealous kicking for a field the size it was.

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 10-13-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #637
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

First up?

Eric

Who was struggling

And didn't handle it very well. He’ had been at Boy Scout camp just a few weeks prior, and had done quite well at archery. He'd expected it to be similar and to just ace it without having to work, focus or maybe even dare I say pay attention to the instructions.

Eric is a perfectionist and when frustrated can default to not wanting to try… if he can't do it well. He was on the verge of a meltdown.

Before I could go try to re-calibrate him…

Evan was up.

He cracks me up, I swear it’s as much about the look and pose as anything! He did pretty well though so clearly whatever look he was going for, worked.

While the kids were going for the bulls-eye…the bigger kids kept playing soccer.

On a small field.

Kendall, as a defender, has a serious boot. Jeff not so bad himself.

They had a very hard time keeping the ball on the field. Even near the field. Which was pretty funny for a while, each of them running past the field, into the foliage to forage for the ball. Until…

Jeff kicked it right into the archery range.

Talk about a party foul!

Yes, he got yelled at and a lot of evil eyes.

Of course I have no shots of the party foul, I was busy looking at this little guy

I am not sure how many rounds the kids had, there were a LOT of archers and as a result it took a bit. I’ am guessing it was about 3. Eric, while he did regroup and have some success, it was not where he'd wanted it to be and was still a little upset. We headed back and the group decided they were really hot and wanted the pool. Sigh. Not the beach, the pool. I decided… I needed a few things from the store. And that I wanted to shop, really poke around in there, alone.

It is a small shop and I felt a little silly taking pictures so didn't get much and what I did, I tried to have be Vero Specific

Now what you can't see in the pictures is that the pink shirt at the bottom, which was a night shirt, was the only item with the Minnie and Turtle Vero logo. This bummed me out to no end. I love that design and had been dreaming about a souvie with it, for months. Literally. However, I don't wear nightshirts (PJ's thank you before anyone goes somewhere with this one lol). Everything else Vero was Mickey with the surfboard. Frankly, it seemed unfair. 4 mens Vero specific T shirts and all us girls got was...a nightshirt. Plus as a general rule, I don't do pink. Ok really it was only one shirt design in 4 colors but still, it provided options. Still, I made some purchases.

Heading back to the room, I made myself an adult beverage for the pool and went to pull out my new old key west mug from the dishwasher.

Apparently, it wasn't dishwasher safe.

It did have a sticker on the bottom that said so.

It had never, ever, occurred to me that a coffee cup would not be dishwasher safe. Sure, I knew the new salad servers I'd bought at WOD, which are melamine, weren't dishwasher safe but a coffee cup? Who makes a coffee cup that can't go in the dishwasher? Unless maybe it has a metallic rim?

The design had literally melted off the mug and I was left with a few blobs of what looked like paint in spots.

One of my purchases at the store just now had been a Vero Mug. Yes, with Mickey and the surfboard. The OKW one was such a great size and feel, I did want another. However, interestingly enough while they are similar, they aren’t identical. OKW is slightly bigger and has cool ridges on the inside of the handle, Vero does not. I digress.

Sure enough… it also had a sticker.

To say I was bummed was an understatement. I debated returning the Vero mug but decided I’d keep it and try to manage handwashing on a go forward basis. Risky. While I can control myself, the reality is that any one of my family could accidentally stick it in the dishwasher and ruin it.

But I really liked the mug. And since I'd ruined one, I didn't have a pretty one to drink out of the next morning so...I kept it.

As I made my drink, I realized we were about out of rum. We'd only had a small bottle purchased at OKW and it had been used up in several rum and cokes for Jeff over the course of the trip. I was only on my second drink of the trip using any of it but if I wanted another tomorrow, or he wanted one tonight we’d need more. He'd helped himself to a beer while I was at the store so it wasn't mission critical but I figured why not take care of it now and have errands done. Drink in hand, I headed down to the pool to find…...

Little boys making farting noises with the noodles. If you blow into them it can make a farting noise. Which can become a contest if you find it funny enough. And it squirts water, even better. Poop noodles, they decided to call it, and were just having a blast squirting and farting water left and right. It's the little things, right? Everyone seemed content so I headed back to the store to get more rum so Jeff could have a drink while getting ready if he wanted.

Purchases made and items delivered to the room I headed back to the pool. By my photo stamps we must have spent at least another hour at the pool, maybe more and suddenly it was getting late. Late that is if we wanted to shower before dinner and make it to the turtle walk on time. The call went out for one last poop noodle and we headed up. The boys always get the short shift here. Rinse off at the pool using the shower so the big people can take real showers with shampoo and such. Eric is still very ok with this. Evan, Mr. I have to pack my special Hollister body wash (which he left somewhere on the trip though I can't recall where…, possibly Vero) on the other hand, likes his own prep time these days. Too bad, so sad.

Originally I had planned on doing dinner in the villa this night but we’d decided that we wanted to go out and would instead, cook the following night. This would add some time. Time to clean up, change, travel to dinner, eat, then drive to the turtle walk location. The turtle walk was scheduled to start at 9pm. We were asked to arrive at least 15 minutes early. Have I mentioned that we are those people? The perpetually cutting it close, not allowing enough time, late people? Typically not horribly late. 5, 10 15 minutes. However, as evidenced by how long it took us to get to Vero…not the best travel time planners, especially in new areas.

5 people. One shower. Could we pull it all off?

Squidlips

Last edited by eandesmom; 10-31-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #638
KatMark
DIS Veteran

First, thanks for the info on the OKW Mug. After I saw yours, I had to have my own and bought one last month. The only time I use my dishwasher is at the holidays when we have people over, and I'll be sure NOT to put my mug in the dishwasher.

I love your update. Eric and Evan crack me up. You can almost see that Eric is frustrated in his pictures, and Evan just gives off that "I'm good looking and suave look" in his pictures.

That is too funny about Jeff kicking the ball into the archery section.

And why is it they ALWAYS have more of a selection for men in the type of shirts we want? I do sleep in nightshirts, but I would rather have a t-shirt.

As always, enjoyed the update.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #639
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Archery huh? Well that seems like a fun choice... nice size group...I liked your photo of everyone on the move...

Poor Eric... He's a perfectionist ... he wants to be good and gets frustrated when it doesn't go the way he wants it do... (I think it's much easier to be like Evan and go with the flow...) I've got a little perfectionist and because he is so good academically it's really hard to get him to realize that sometimes its just cool to do something new... and even if your not great the first time out it's ok... you try stuff and see if you like them... and you can get better...

(Strangely both of my kids wanted to do the LL Bean Discovery School when we were in Maine and they wanted to do archery too... Hmmm... the thought of Emily armed with bow and arrow... )

I think you should have sent out a call for Captain Morgan to bring you some rum... (have you seen those new commercials... they make me laugh...)

Oh Cynthia that stinks about your mug... I know that must have been frustrating... I collect mugs from different places we go... that would have upset me... (On the positive side you'll be going to DWD really soon so you can get something new...

Turtle Walk ... woo hoot ....
Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #640
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

You probably won't believe me, but I knew it was archery and didn't want to spoil it. I don't remember how I knew...it wasn't an Instagram pic...maybe some other correspondence.

Hey, thanks for the shout out! It's funny how we took similar pictures of the walk over across the street. Well maybe not, what else is there to photograph?

Yes, I thought that soccer field looked a little small. It must be hard to keep the ball in play (and out of the archery range ).
Old 10-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #641
Misskitty3
DIS Veteran

Great update!

How cool that Vero has different activities like archery for guests to try out!

What is lurking in the bushes? Is that a rabbit?

Disneyland: June '13 - Hojo's.....May '12 - BWPPI..... May ’09 - Hojo’s….Oct ‘07 – Grand Californian….Nov ‘06 – Paradise Pier.…June ’04 – Disneyland Hotel.…June ‘96 Anaheim Hilton…. July ‘95 - Carousel Inn….Aug ’92 – Carousel Inn…July ’90 - Embassy Suites…July ’89 - Anaheim Hilton…May ’88 - Penny Sleeper…May ’87 - Penny Sleeper…April ’77 (?)…June ’76 - Disneyland Hotel….June ‘73 First trip ever to Disneyland!!!

WDW: July ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center.…April ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center….July ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center….April ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center
Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #642
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Great update!

My boys would have chose archery as well...Nick especially. He loves archery which he just discovered after a unit in gym class. Glad Eric had some success after being so frustrated. It sounds like the pool was just what was needed. Too funny about the pool game.....sounds like something my boys would do.

Sorry about your OKW mug. Glad you were able to get a Vero one though....

Old 10-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #643
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed your update!

My husband owned a compound bow when he was a kid, and our boys have had some exposure to bows and arrows.

There is a day camp less than a half-mile from my house. They offer archery during the camp and you can also sign up for just archery as a separate program. This year, there were a lot more girls taking the class than in the past (Hunger Games, anyone?)

Loved the descriptions of the boys as they took their shots!

Poop Noodles!

Bummer about the coffee mug

Next up: Have fun! That is all.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #644
MEK
DIS Veteran

Bummer on the mug! That stinks and is very irritating. Did you take it back (I hope)?

ARchery? Who knew? I was definitely thinking more beach time.

It's pretty cool that they put a soccer field (despite its size) in there. I tried to find the pictures of my kids kicking the soccer ball all over the yard right outside the back of the inn. Maybe they got tired of too many kids doing the same thing?

Pretty pictures. It looks like a fun activity.

I hope you get to dinner on time, but I'm doubtful.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #645
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

My son is a total perfectionist, also! And, also has no patience if he can't master something new the first time he tries it!! No concept of practice makes perfect

Too bad about the mug, I do tend to put whatever I can in the dishwasher, even if it has a sticker--I bought stainless steel water bottles that say they're not dw safe. Come on, really? But especially a coffee mug! Weird.

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: