Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
discookiemonsta
Mouseketeer

Christmas at Disney - critique my activities please!

So this will be our first Christmas at Disney and I planned some activities to hopefully capture the Christmas magic, besides enjoying the parks and their decorations.

We will have two full days at Epcot so will hopefully have more than enough time to listen to some of the Holiday narrators at the countries in World Showcase.

Candlelight Processional at Epcot one evening after dinner.

DHS - Osborne Family lights/EMH evening

Ft. Wilderness ADR and then a Wagon ride to see the decorations/lights.

MK (especially after the last MVMCP) so we can enjoy all the Christmas parades/fireworks etc.

Christmas Eve - MK with dinner ADR's at Crystal Palace at 5pm.

Christmas Day - Cape May Cafe Christmas morning breakfast
-resort hopping during the day to see the decorations
-Dinner ADR at Kona Cafe 6:30pm and afterwards sitting on the beach to watch the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes.

26th - our last full day - either Epcot/MK or DHS (has EMH)

We may also spend one day at Seaworld for their Christmas shows.

We also want to play mini golf one day and spend some time at DTD.

We have FD and will be at Disney for 2 weeks so we have lots of ADR's booked. That way we will see quite a few resorts for their decorations.

Our first week we are planning on spending the majority of our time at the parks and once the crowds pick up in the second week of our stay, we will have more down time/outside of the parks fun time, resort hopping, enjoying the Christmas atmosphere etc.

Just curious, since this is our first time at Disney at Christmas, am I missing anything? Are there any other Christmas activities I haven't considered?

Me(35) DH(35) DD(10) & DD(7)

discookiemonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Just a couple thoughts...

1. Don't forget the Jingle Jungle parade at AK and all the characters at Camp Minnie Mickey should be in Christmas attire. That area is also decorated with lots of trees.

2. The parade they do for MVMCP is the afternoon parade at MK once parties are over.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
discookiemonsta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
Just a couple thoughts...

1. Don't forget the Jingle Jungle parade at AK and all the characters at Camp Minnie Mickey should be in Christmas attire. That area is also decorated with lots of trees.

2. The parade they do for MVMCP is the afternoon parade at MK once parties are over.
Thank you so much for your response! We will be spending one day at AK, but we rarely go to Camp Minnie Mickey so we may have totally missed that! Great info!!!

Good to know about the Christmas/afternoon parade at MK - my girls love parades so we wouldn't want to miss that. We may have to see it more than once, actually

Anyone else who has been at Christmas have any tips/advice etc???

Old 10-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
discookiemonsta
Mouseketeer

Just out of curiousity....

since we will be at Disney until December 27th and we plan to be at MK after the 21st (the last MVMCP) at least 2 times, are there any valid reasons for paying extra to attend one of the MVMCP's before the 21st? The previous posters' comment about the Christmas parade being the afternoon parade after the 21st got me thinking about the parade being in the evening time/dark during MVMCP, and how different that must look compared to in the middle of the afternoon.

I know I'm probably just stressing over nothing, but I can't help it...I'm Disney obsessed

Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
geenerbell
Am I caught up with Robo yet?

You may want to visit ICE at Gaylord Palms hotel. They also offer a breakfast with Santa that is really fun.
geenerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I'm sure you know this, but I would just plan for EVERYTHING to take a long time. Getting from attraction to attraction, CS lines for food, restroom breaks, transportation.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
labattblue
DIS Veteran

OP...I see you reference "resort hopping" several times in your post. Not sure how many holiday decorations you can look at, before your kids get bored(especially after seeing the ultimate holiday display; The Osbourne Lights). It's one thing to walk around a resort for a few minutes if you are going to be there to eat, but to just go from resort to resort to walk around and look at decorations...not so sure.

I know you stated you are going to be there for two weeks, and I don't know your whole schedule, but hopefully there is plenty of time for your kids to be kids AKA "pool time".
labattblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
discookiemonsta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by labattblue View Post
OP...I see you reference "resort hopping" several times in your post. Not sure how many holiday decorations you can look at, before your kids get bored(especially after seeing the ultimate holiday display; The Osbourne Lights). It's one thing to walk around a resort for a few minutes if you are going to be there to eat, but to just go from resort to resort to walk around and look at decorations...not so sure.

I know you stated you are going to be there for two weeks, and I don't know your whole schedule, but hopefully there is plenty of time for your kids to be kids AKA "pool time".
Sorry it seems confusing about my reference to resort hopping. Yes, most of them are ADR's we have at different resorts (Grand Floridian/Polynesian/Ft. Wilderness/Beach Club)

For Christmas Day, since we will be having breakfast at Cape May, I thought it would be nice to walk around and view their displays/decorations, maybe check out the Yacht Club and the boardwalk, take a ride on the friendship boat...etc. That night we have dinner reservations at Kona Cafe so we'll see the Polynesian decorations etc. Just really would like to stay out of the parks on this day, if at all possible!

Yes, we will have plenty of down time! For right now we have 4 days that are not scheduled, so the girls will have some free 'kid' time as well

Old 10-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
discookiemonsta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post
I'm sure you know this, but I would just plan for EVERYTHING to take a long time. Getting from attraction to attraction, CS lines for food, restroom breaks, transportation.
Yes, I have taken this into consideration, which is why we are doing most of the parks early on in our trip. We are arriving on the 13th. We have been during this week before (12th-18th) and it didn't seem so bad and I am sure the crowds pick up around the 20th. Since we go to Disney every year, we don't feel the need to accomplish everything. Besides, this will be our longest trip yet, so we will have more park time than normal, which could be a bonus. This trip is some about the parks and the rides and more about being at Disney at Christmas, soaking in all the Christmas spirit it has to offer!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Jenna319
DIS Veteran

I think your itinerary sounds wonderful. Does anyone know when that wagon ride at FW ends? This sounds wonderful, but we don't arrive till 12/31.... does it run into January? Definitely make time to see the Gingerbread house at GF, it smells so amazing when you walk in!!
September '13- Boardwalk & Disneyland Hotel, December '12- 10-Year New Years Anniversary Trip- AoA, BCV & AKV Kidani, November '11- Old Key West, February '11- Family Trip- AKV Kidani & SSR, September '10- Disneyland Grand Californian, September '09- POR & Polynesian, October '08- CSR, March '08- Old Key West, October '07- <3 Disneymoon at BCV <3, '05- All Star Movies, '02- Polynesian, '01- Contemporary, '00- Girls Graduation Trip- Caribbean Beach, '98- Port Orleans French Quarter, '96- Port Orleans French Quarter, '94- All Star Music, '92 Contemporary & COUNTLESS off-property trips that I won't count
Jenna319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
discookiemonsta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna319 View Post
I think your itinerary sounds wonderful. Does anyone know when that wagon ride at FW ends? This sounds wonderful, but we don't arrive till 12/31.... does it run into January? Definitely make time to see the Gingerbread house at GF, it smells so amazing when you walk in!!
You can read more about the wagon ride (and other options as well) here:

http://allears.net/btp/carriage.htm

From what I understand, the Wagon ride (first one listed, which we are planning on doing) happens all through the year. Only some of the other rides are 'seasonal'.

Hope that helps!!!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
Jenna319
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info!
September '13- Boardwalk & Disneyland Hotel, December '12- 10-Year New Years Anniversary Trip- AoA, BCV & AKV Kidani, November '11- Old Key West, February '11- Family Trip- AKV Kidani & SSR, September '10- Disneyland Grand Californian, September '09- POR & Polynesian, October '08- CSR, March '08- Old Key West, October '07- <3 Disneymoon at BCV <3, '05- All Star Movies, '02- Polynesian, '01- Contemporary, '00- Girls Graduation Trip- Caribbean Beach, '98- Port Orleans French Quarter, '96- Port Orleans French Quarter, '94- All Star Music, '92 Contemporary & COUNTLESS off-property trips that I won't count
Jenna319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
discookiemonsta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna319 View Post
Thanks for the info!
I just noticed your ticker and that you are celebrating your 10 year anniversary at Disney. Our 10 year anniversary is in 6 days, but we are also celebrating it at Disney in December

I hope you have an amazing anniversary at Disney!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
Mickeylover13
Earning My Ears

I read some really great tips on here! I'm going for Christmas this year, for the first time ever. I plan on staying on property... I stayed at the POP last May... any recommendations as to another VALUE resort, to stay at? Also, I'm getting a package deal, I still have to pay extra for the Mickeys Christmas Party?? Is there a special discount that anyone knows about for this? I don't want to miss it, but I feel as I'm already paying a ton of money to do this, I sure wish this was included.

Either way, I can't wait to go there!! I love Disney, I love Mickey... so it will be the trip of a lifetime
Old 01-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeylover13 View Post
Also, I'm getting a package deal, I still have to pay extra for the Mickeys Christmas Party?? Is there a special discount that anyone knows about for this? I don't want to miss it, but I feel as I'm already paying a ton of money to do this, I sure wish this was included.
Yep, the MVMCP is a separate ticketed event (also called a hard ticket event.) There are certain dates that offer a small discount (about $7, I think) if you pre-purchase, but you'll have to wait until they announce the dates to find out which ones have the pre-purchase discount.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: