Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Staying at the Fort 10/30-11/1!

I'm sooooooo excited! We are going to stay in a cabin from 10/30-11/1 so that we can enjoy all of the Halloween fun! I'm seriously busting with joy over here! Will we get many Trick or treaters at the cabin? My son can't wait to trick or treat (even thought he has food allergies and won't be able to eat the candy!)
Old 10-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Any tips to get the most out of Halloween at the Fort? Hoping to run into some Dis boarders there!

How long are the walks from cabins normally? My 65 year old parents will be with us and I'm wondering if the walk will be too much?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
AuntBJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
I'm sooooooo excited! We are going to stay in a cabin from 10/30-11/1 so that we can enjoy all of the Halloween fun! I'm seriously busting with joy over here! Will we get many Trick or treaters at the cabin? My son can't wait to trick or treat (even thought he has food allergies and won't be able to eat the candy!)
I am glad you mentioned this. I have been intending to post asking if anyone's child had allergies. Is there any candy your child can have? I would like to fix "safe" treat bags for the children with allergies.

Off site - 5/85, 1/98, 2/00ASMU - 3/02, 5/02(twice), 10/03, 12/06Ft. Wilderness Cabins - 2/03POFQ -2/03 & 12/04Camping @ FW - 11/04 & 6/08POP 11/07
AuntBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntBJ

I am glad you mentioned this. I have been intending to post asking if anyone's child had allergies. Is there any candy your child can have? I would like to fix "safe" treat bags for the children with allergies.
That's so nice of you to consider kids with food allergies! 1 in 13 kids have them (which I really think this statistic is wrong because in my son's preschool 2 out of 8 kids in his class have FA and in his playgroup 3 out of 13 do!). Dum dums, smarties, twizzlers, Swedish fish, mike and Ike's, tootsie rolls, tootsie pops, starburst, peeps are all safe for peanut/tree nut allergic kids. Stickers, pencils, etc are always good too!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
AuntBJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How long are the walks from cabins normally? My 65 year old parents will be with us and I'm wondering if the walk will be too much?
The cabin loops can be quite a distance from the camping sites. Unless you plan to rent a golf cart (which would be great for your parents), I would suggest catching an internal bus, maybe to the stop across from the Meadows Trading Post.

As far as the cabins & trick-or-treating, I didn't get a chance to leave my site during that time last year but I don't believe cabins have as many as the camp sites.

Make sure you check out Russell's FW train display. Your son will probably love it. I believe he said he will post his site number on the board when he checks in.

Off site - 5/85, 1/98, 2/00ASMU - 3/02, 5/02(twice), 10/03, 12/06Ft. Wilderness Cabins - 2/03POFQ -2/03 & 12/04Camping @ FW - 11/04 & 6/08POP 11/07

Last edited by AuntBJ; 10-13-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Dave is the castle guy. Russell is the train guy.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntBJ View Post
The cabin loops can be quite a distance from the camping sites. Unless you plan to rent a golf cart (which would be great for your parents), I would suggest catching an internal bus, maybe to the stop across from the Meadows Trading Post.

As far as the cabins & trick-or-treating, I didn't get a chance to leave my site during that time last year but I don't believe cabins have as many as the camp sites.

Make sure you check out Dave's FW train display. Your son will probably love it. I believe he said he will post his site number on the board when he checks in.
Thanks! My son LOVES trains, so that is a must see on our list. I'll pay close attention to this board to make sure we don't miss anything. I want to make sure we do Halloween right at the Fort!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
FWRR3
Engineer for "The Little FWRR"

Hey AuntBJ, thanks for the plug, but Dave's got the Castle show, in December. But Russell will be there with trains for Halloween. Probably won't get to post the site number until the evening of the 30th. Hope to see all!

http://littleFWRR.com/
FWRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWRR3
Hey AuntBJ, thanks for the plug, but Dave's got the Castle show, in December. But Russell will be there with trains for Halloween. Probably won't get to post the site number until the evening of the 30th. Hope to see all!
Will look for the post with the site number for sure! So excited for the Fort and Halloween!
Old 10-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
AuntBJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWRR3 View Post
Oops. Sorry about that and I will fix it. I know at my age I should search instead of trusting my memory.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
pooh4me
DIS Veteran

You will be hooked on the Fort and the cabins. We came for the first time in Jan of 2003 and have returned every year since then.
I would call reservations and have a near to transportation request put on your reservation, then when you check in ask to see on their maps where your cabin is. If this is a long way from the bus stops ask if they can get you closer this way your parents should be fine. We are senior citizens and have never had a problem with getting around the Fort with their internal bus system.
Have a really great time.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
photofreak
Camping & Disney!! The 2 best things together in one!!

pooh4me is exactly right.. You'll be hooked!! Halloween at the Fort is a blast!! We arrive in one week!!!
Jan/Feb 2010 Fort Wilderness Big Bear Path 1400 loop
Oct/Nov 2011 Fort Wilderness Palmetto Path 200 loop (took our besties for their 1st trip )
Oct/Nov 2012 Fort Wilderness Buffalo Bend 500 loop

Looking forward to 2013 Halloween at the Fort!!!
photofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

I can't wait for Tuesday to check in!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
roblab
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We'll also be arriving at the fort on the 30th (but in the campground). We normally try to do allergy safe goodies where possible... I'm sure we're not the only ones.
roblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
roblab
Earning My Ears

Quote:
On question for the group's collective wisdom... Staying in the campground... trying to figure out how much candy to bring....

Anybody ever keep a rough count of how many they got?
roblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

I have read it all depends on what loop you are on. We have a pack of 70 and will give out whatever my son gets that isn't safe for him. Not sure if its enough or not!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: