DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
belle41379
Disney is my happy place.

Transportation Delima

Our wait list for BC/BW didn't come through. . We have reservations with friends in Epcot at 8:50pm. Our flight lands at 7:30pm. I called ME and they said we can't be dropped off at an Epcot resort, nor will our luggage be delivered if we take a cab.

So, would you ride ME to AKV (usually last stop) then take a cab to Epcot, or take a cab to both places (AKV first to deposit luggage). I doubt we will have time to do all the transportation via Disney bus and get there in time.

Thoughts? What would you do?

belle41379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

You will barely have time to do it with a cab and/or car service - Disney transport is out of the question, IMO. Car service/cab is your only option that would even be close to getting you there on time. Don't forget that you will have to wait for your luggage to come off the plane, hail a cab or meet your car service, drive to AKL, check-in/leave luggage, get a cab if you used a car service from the airport (doesn't take long to get a cab at the resort) or you could ask the cabbie to wait if you used a cab, drive to Epcot, enter the park, walk to wherever your meeting place is.

If you're meeting in World Showcase, I would have the cab take you to Beach Club and drop you off, then walk in WS from the International Gateway.

And all that is assuming your flight is on time. I really don't think you're likely to get to Epcot on time if you have any luggage checked.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV

Last edited by vicki_c; 10-12-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: edited a confusing statement I made!
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

I think your timing is way too tight. Any delay, you don't make it. If you have to wait for checked bags, you don't make it.

How about your friends come to AKL to meet you for a drink in the lounge? Or they meet you at AKL & you head out to DTD for a late dinner & drinks somewhere.

What you are proposing is way too stressful a start to vacation IMO.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
And all that is assuming your flight is on time. I really don't think it's likely to be on time if you have any luggage checked.
I really think you should change your plans.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

I'll hop on the "you'll never make it" bandwagon

Depending on the airline and aircraft ground traffic, once you land it can take 5-10 minutes to reach the gate, a few minutes to get the door open, and 10 or so minutes to deplane.

If you have your ME tags on your luggage, you won't need to worry about that, as they will go straight to your hotel. However, you may not have time to check-in, either. Remember, you'll need to allot time to walk from the drop-off to the restaurant, including going through EPCOT security and the ticket turnstiles (assuming you have your tickets already).

Finally, it will take a few minutes (5 -10) to get to the taxi stand, maybe a few minutes (5?) to get a cab (getting your car, loading your self and carry-on luggage in the car and pull away), then 30 -40 to get to WDW with little traffic.

If you reach the gate at 7:30, then it is:

10 min to deplane
5 to get to the taxi stand
5 to load and leave
30 to get to WDW
5 to unload and pay driver
15 to get to restaurant (remember you'll have your carry-on luggage, so if it is more than a purse and non-stuffed backpacks, security may take a few extra minutes)
Total: 70 minutes having you a mere 10 minutes early for your ADR (if this liberal estimates pan out with no delay).

If you choose to rent a car instead, it will take longer to pick it up, go through the tolls, navigate WDW and park, but you'll be more mobile.

Good luck!

ETA: I just re-read your initial post, and that is interesting that they won't deliver your luggage if you don't ride the ME bus. Not sure how they check this, since it is likely transported to the resorts via truck and not on the bus itself. That said, you will need to add an additional 20 minutes to the time below for the bags to appear, get collected, and be on your way. Then you'll need to add time for check-in at the hotel (15 minutes if super fast, leaving bags with bell service to take to room while you are gone) and movement from AKV to EPCOT (20-25 minutes if no traffic and you get another cab immediately to BWV). In this case, you will be late for your ADR, but not horribly, so maybe your fellow diners will get seated and hold the table for your arrival.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Last edited by Greysword; 10-12-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Do carryon only and rent a car to drive directly to Epcot? That might make this doable, but you are probably still going to be LATE!

Plane lands at 7:30. you don't get off the plane at 7:30. So let's say 7:45 off the plane. Then you have to get to transport and pick up luggage... we are at between 8 and 8:15. Hmm.. then you have to get to resort and drop off the luggage. Let's go with 20 minutes, 8:35. You now have 15 minutes to get from AKL to LaHacienda... not happening.

If you rent a car and do carryon only then I have been out the door and on my way in 30 minutes after landing. So that's 8, you can make it then. Of course ANY delays are going to be an issue. (Waiting on luggage would be a delay, standing in a rental car line is another one, paying tolls etc...) So you have to rent from someone where you are a member of their club and can go directly to your car (and cross your fingers that there's no line at check out) and be prepared to pay their "toll pass" deal so you can drive through the toll lanes.....
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
nalajms
DIS Veteran

How many are in your flight party? Maybe you can split up: one person goes with ME and luggage to hotel. Check in then take a cab to Epcot. The rest go directly from the airport to dinner.
nalajms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Starr W.
DIS Veteran

It would be tough.

We have been on the road to VB 30 minutes after landing but here is what we did. Did stop at the bathrooms after deplaning.

A. Carry on bags only
B. Flew business class on Airtran
C. rented a car from Alamo and did all paperwork online, so you just pick a car and go.

With regular seats, carry on bags and Alamo online check in, we were at AK eating lunch within an hour of landing(this included stopping at guest services to buy our TIW card). But this was a 9am flight on Friday b4 MLK day.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Are your friends staying on site and if so where? If at BW or BC pehaps you can store your bags with them, pick them up after dinner, then head over to AKV and check in. Still will be tight though.
montrealdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Here is the Transportation Forum thread about using the luggage delivery without actually being on a bus. I would take that more seriously than a random rep who might not EVER have been to WDW. The DME rep I dealt with a year ago had not! And the rep I dealt with another time had been to WDW but had no clue about flying...still thought you had to get roundtrip tickets and was confused that I had one way on one airline and the other way on another.

One random DME person, for me, isn't to be trusted as much as a ton of people with experience.

Ohhhh, I just saw that the reservation is at Epcot, not an Epcot resort. I had a whole scenario typed out based on it being at a resort, but no, you'll never make it.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle41379 View Post
Our wait list for BC/BW didn't come through. . We have reservations with friends in Epcot at 8:50pm. Our flight lands at 7:30pm. I called ME and they said we can't be dropped off at an Epcot resort, nor will our luggage be delivered if we take a cab.

So, would you ride ME to AKV (usually last stop) then take a cab to Epcot, or take a cab to both places (AKV first to deposit luggage). I doubt we will have time to do all the transportation via Disney bus and get there in time.

Thoughts? What would you do?
Fortunately if you don't make it, there are no charges for having less people for a regular restaurant reservation than is listed on the reservation. Personally I'd scrap it or change to another night. If the friend's had a car, I'd have them pick me up if possible. Otherwise I'd rent a car and do carry on only even though a cab will likely be a little quicker still. If you do a rental car, make sure you do everything online and try to get into one of the premier clubs like nationals Emerald club so you can just be dropped off and pick up the car without going through the line at the counters.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

If the reservation is important to you, I would rent a car, put your luggage in the trunk, and drive directly to Epcot. There's no other way, I don't think.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #13
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post

What you are proposing is way too stressful a start to vacation IMO.
IMO as well.

I would cancel the ADR and have your friends come meet you at AKV for drinks.
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
maburke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
If the reservation is important to you, I would rent a car, put your luggage in the trunk, and drive directly to Epcot. There's no other way, I don't think.
I agree. I think the only way it would work if you did not check into the resort first.

1972: Contemporary; 1991: Radisson; 1994: OKW; 2001: BC & Disney Wonder; 2002: BWI; 2003: BCV; 2004: OKW; 2005: BWV; 2006: HHI, GCH@DL; 2007: BWV, GCH@DL; 2008: BCV; 2009: AKV-Kidani/VB & THV; 2010: BLT/BCV; 2011: VGC; 2012:OKW; 2013: VGC; 2014: DLP
maburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
belle41379
Disney is my happy place.

Thanks everyone! We now have a plan we feel good about. It's going to be a great trip!

belle41379 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: