Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
erinna
Mouseketeer

half marathon massage?

DH is running his first half at marathon weekend. I'm surprising him with the race retreat and a post-marathon massage. Any thoughts on when to book the massage for? Later that day? The next AM? When is the earliest that makes sense given the need to get back to Saratoga Springs (where we're staying)?

Thanks for all advice!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinna View Post
DH is running his first half at marathon weekend. I'm surprising him with the race retreat and a post-marathon massage. Any thoughts on when to book the massage for? Later that day? The next AM? When is the earliest that makes sense given the need to get back to Saratoga Springs (where we're staying)?

Thanks for all advice!
I had a massage after mine both years. The first year, it was perfectly timed. We (my aunt and I) got them sometime between 12 and 3 (I can't remember) at the spa at the Yacht Club, then went over to Beaches & Cream for dinner & a kitchen sink sundae (clearly exactly what one needs after a half marathon!) We still had three days left at the parks. The day following the half we went to Universal and noticed girls wearing their race shirts wobbling, and they asked us how we were walking so well. We can only imagine it was the massage! So, the day of will be perfect.

That being said, this year we had the race retreat, and ended up being more crunched for time. We almost didn't make our massage appointments (it doesn't help that I spent an hour in the room under the blankets because I was so COLD after the race).

I'd say anytime in the early afternoon/evening should be good. He'll have enough time to calm down after the race (jumping into the pool is a good idea post-race as well) and enough time to get to where you need to go.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
booth22
Mouseketeer

For the most part, you should wait until the window of 24-48 hours post race before getting a true sports massage. Earlier than that and it'll likely just add to the inflammation and tissue breakdown caused by the run.
booth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth22 View Post
For the most part, you should wait until the window of 24-48 hours post race before getting a true sports massage. Earlier than that and it'll likely just add to the inflammation and tissue breakdown caused by the run.
Agreed. Next day is most beneficial.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: