Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
DIS Veteran

WL has 3 hot tubs, Poly has zero, might not be important to everyone but it's a deal killer for us, gotta be able to soak and loosen up those muscles after a long day in the parks!
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS View Post
WL has 3 hot tubs, Poly has zero, might not be important to everyone but it's a deal killer for us, gotta be able to soak and loosen up those muscles after a long day in the parks!
Me too! And I love WL being in one building.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
DEA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klib624 View Post
WOW! I am so glad I joined this board Everyone's responses have helped so much! When you think about spending that much money and have the hopes of the Deluxe Resort being "worth it"!

Thank you all for sharing! Now whats the best building to request at Poly? We can't afford to be Castleview but with a 13 year old and a 6 year old I want them to get the most of the location. As I said most of our trips the past 4 years have involved MAJOR walking to get to anything in the resort.
I'm partial to the Tahiti building at the Poly. It's one of the newer buildings in the complex, the rooms are larger than most of the other longhouses (476 sq. ft. vs. 415 sq. ft, Rapa Nui and Tokelau are the other longhouses with larger rooms), and although it is a few minutes' walk to the GCH, it is very close to the TTC, which gives you plenty of transportation options, and you are in a good position along the beach away from the crowds (who tend to be closer to the pool) for Wishes viewing.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
Lisann
Mouseketeer

Polynesian is superior to Wilderness Lodge, in my opinion. Both are GREAT resorts, but the rooms are bigger at Poly and I really like that...don't feel so cramped. Poly has monorail access, and that is hard to beat!! ) The rooms at WL are small to me, and so I would go with Polynesian if you can swing it money-wise.

I've stayed at: Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside.
Lisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
Belle'sFan
Mouseketeer

We first stayed at WL and loved it! We then tried the Poly and were surprised to find we didn't like it as much. One thing I didn't like were the crowds that came twice per night for the luau dinner show. Also the lack of a hot tub. I was also surprised that the monorail was not as great as I imagined. It was a walk to the main building and then up the stairs to get to the monorail. Often it was standing room only. Once it broke down and that was terrible! We also felt the theming at the poly was less authentic than at WL. I liked that the WL is a little more away - I felt it was more relaxing and break from the hustle. I felt the poly is exciting, but hard for kids to settle down because of the vibrant atmosphere and view of the castle. Guess I'm in the minority, but after a day in the parks I like a break someplace peaceful.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
2girlsR2good
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uagirl View Post
I've stayed at WL twice and the Poly twice. I love them both so much I don't think I could pick a favorite! I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Exactly the same for me. Love them both! You will have a wonderful time either way
2girlsR2good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #22
PamelaKay
DIS Veteran

Everyone will have a different opinion

I have stayed at both and really enjoyed both, but my favorite is the WL.

Things I love about the WL
1. Everything is covered. When it rains, you can take the bus at the WL and from the moment you get off the bus until you are at your room, you are either covered or indoors.
2. It is significantly less $ than the Poly,
3. The geyser and hot tubs.
4. The convenient short boat ride to Hoop Dee Doo. One of my favorites.
5. The absolute friendliest staff of all the resorts I have visited.
6. The yummy cupcakes, salads and sandwiches at Roaring Forks.

Things I loved about the Poly.
1. Transportation options and convenience. Like previous folks mentioned, it is a short walk to the transportation and ticket center to catch the monorail to Epcot.
2. I believe it has the largest square footage rooms and I really like the daybed/sofa.
3. You can get dole whips from Captain Cooks.
4. Breakfast at Kona Cafe... YUMMMMY

You really cannot go wrong with either one. I think the counter service options in both Roaring Forks and Captain Hooks are great, so I wouldn't worry too much about the food court issue.

I hope you enjoy whichever one you choose.

Mar 2007 - POR, Mar 2008 - WL, Mar 2009 - Dolphin and CSR,
Dec 2009 - Dolphin
Mar 2010 - AKL CL May 2010 - GF CL Nov 2010 - Dec 2010 POFQ and Poly CL
Mar 2011 - BWI, June 2011 CBR one night and split stay between WL and BCOct 2011 - POR and WL
March 2012 WL CL Oct 2012 WL CL and Dec 2012 WL CL
Mar 2013 YC CL, June 2013 Poly CL, Oct 2013 Hard Rock CL BWI CL and
Dec 2013 GF CL
PamelaKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #23
midge3426
Mouseketeer

We really like both resorts, but we prefer the Wilderness Lodge. I love the larger rooms as the Poly, but I hate the bathrooms. At most of the resorts the toilet and tub are enclosed and have a door. Not so at the Poly---everything is one big room. With two teenagers, it was impossible to get in the bathrooms. I will never stay there again until it is just me and my husband.

I did not like Captain Cooks, except for the Dole Whips. I did not think their food was very good.

I think the staff at the Wilderness Lodge is absolutley the nicest and most caring staff members on site---bar none.
midge3426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #24
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Count me in the WL group. I am more of a relaxed person on vacation and of the two, WL just fills that bill. Poly lobby is just way too busy for me. And there is no place quite like territory lounge. Quiet little place to sit and enjoy a libation or two. No place like it at Poly. For me, the grounds of the Poly are where the beauty lies, but at WL the whole hotel is where the beauty lies.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #25
cmadara
Mouseketeer

Poly all the way!

Love the Poly! Stayed at the WL to try something different and ended up back at the Poly after that. For me it comes down to this:
-monorail, boat and buses- so many options
-bigger rooms
-love the theme- I'm more of a tropical person than an outdoorsy person.
-memories- first resort we took our DD to and it holds many special memories- her SCREAMING her head off down the volcano slide!

But of course, everyone is different and has their favorites!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: