Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Hoosier37
DIS Veteran

Can't Decide Which Camera To Take

We are planning our second trip to the World. We are driving this time, and the kids think we are going on a fairly boring, history themed road trip. We hope to actually be on property before they figure out where we are going .

Anyway, I have two cameras: a Rebel XS complete with the kit 18-55mm, a 55-250mm lens, and a 50mm lens. This is what we took on our first trip, and I lugged the thing through the parks. I love taking pics with it, but it gets heavy.

My other camera is a p&s, a Sony CyberShot DSC-WX50. It is small and compact, plus does video (which my DSLR does not).

I am an amateur photographer. I do shoot either in manual or aperture priority when using my DSLR. While I don't necessarily want to lug the camera through all the parks every day, I fear I would miss it if I left it at home.

At the same time, the Sony takes good pictures, is easy to carry, and would be easier to pack safely away during rainy times or wet rides.

So I guess I'm looking for opinions. Should I leave the DSLR at home and have one less big thing to worry about? Should I take it but leave it in the room? Would it even be safe in the room? I love the idea of not having a big camera around my neck in the parks. But I also loved taking pictures with it.

WDW Trips
POP Century, March 2011
Art of Animation Little Mermaid, June 2013
Hoping to return in June 2015

(me) (DH) (DS14) (DD11)
Hoosier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
wbeem
DIS Veteran

That really depends upon what kind of trip you want to have. If this is more about family than photography, I'd take the Sony you mentioned. You can still get plenty of shots and stow it away when you're busy doing something else.

If it was a photography trip, I'd take the DSLR. Not as convenient, but much more flexible.

From what you've said, it sounds like the Sony is the better choice for this trip.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
rmattman
Mouseketeer

On our last trip to WDW, we took both the P&S and the Nikon D7000 with the 18-200mm zoom, a Sigma 30mm 1.4, and a tripod. The P&S takes pretty good snapshots around the parks and the pools. If I wanted more creative control of the pictures, then I would use the D7000 (ex. parades, fireworks, low-light situations where the dSLR is superior). Also, I would often return to the parks without the family after the kids (and usually my wife) were tucked in for the night. This gave me more time to experiment with the D7000 and more creative exposures.

Like William said, I think you have to decide what type of trip you are taking. If there will be very little time to do the more creative pics that a dSLR allows, I would take the P&S. If, however, you will have some time to play around with the dSLR (without stealing time from your family) then take both. I usually do not worry about my stuff being stolen from the hotel (particularly if staying on property).

By the way, how do you explain to the children a trip to Florida from ECB, Indiana that they will not assume includes WDW. Good Luck with that. On that subject, you should consider approaching WDW property by way of Western Way which enters the property on the Animal Kingdom side (Northwest). We exited the property using that road the last time we drove to WDW. I remember there being much less signage about WDW on Western Way compared to I-4 or Hwy 27 thru Clermont.

Have a good trip!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

I only do family photography on my Disney trips and I always take my DSLR. That's how I prefer to shoot. DH, who knows how to use a DSLR pretty well, prefers a point and shoot.

We're all different and no one else can make the decision on what camera to take but you.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

I'd recommend taking both with you, then decide day-to-day which one you feel like using. There are many times I'll pick up the P&S because I don't feel like dealing with the DSLR -- usually it's because we're just heading out to dinner and I don't want to find a place to put it down while we're eating, or because it's a rainy day.

As to the DSLR's heaviness, you may want to consider a new camera strap. It really can make the difference between, "I'm just not going to lug that thing around again today" and having the camera to catch a great shot. I used to be so sick of my camera by the end of a two-week trip, I would stop carrying it because my neck was just getting too sore. Now that I have a strap that doesn't go around the neck, it makes all the difference. The 60D I carry now is actually 30% heavier than the Rebel XT I used to have, and I can carry it for the whole trip without it being an issue.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Hoosier37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmattman View Post
By the way, how do you explain to the children a trip to Florida from ECB, Indiana that they will not assume includes WDW. Good Luck with that. On that subject, you should consider approaching WDW property by way of Western Way which enters the property on the Animal Kingdom side (Northwest). We exited the property using that road the last time we drove to WDW. I remember there being much less signage about WDW on Western Way compared to I-4 or Hwy 27 thru Clermont.

Have a good trip!
We are actually planning a whole fake trip centered around southwestern Georgia, with one day planned to drive into Florida (where my DH lived as a child) to see his old hometown that is conveniently an hour south of WDW. And we are planning on taking the direction you mentioned, so I am glad there isn't much signage. If they figure it out, it will still be a surprise because they won't know until that day.

It is so much fun to see my kids trying to drum up some enthusiasm for a week spent visiting plantations and antiquing throughout small towns in Georgia.

As far as the cameras: thanks for the input - I think you are right. I will take the big DSLR and if I want to do anything more creative I'll have it. Otherwise, I'll carry the little P&S. I tend to overthink these things I suppose .

WDW Trips
POP Century, March 2011
Art of Animation Little Mermaid, June 2013
Hoping to return in June 2015

(me) (DH) (DS14) (DD11)
Hoosier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
photo_chick

I totally second getting a good strap. Having one that distributes the weight and breathes well makes all the difference in the world for me. My favorite is my Crumpler Industry Disgrace and many on here like the Black Rapid straps.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Ow! Carrying a camera around your neck is definitely a good way to start some pain. Put that thing on your shoulder. At least then you can switch off if it gets sore on one side.

I just received my UpStrap today and will try it out on the photo walk at Epcot tomorrow. A number of photographers recommended it, particularly for its comfort and because it doesn't slide off your shoulder. I guess I'll find out, as I'm carrying a Nikon D700 w/battery grip and 24-70 lens tomorrow.

My old strap was a Black Rapid cross-body strap. I won't use it anymore because it attaches by the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera (or lens, if it's large enough). That tripod mount wasn't engineered to support the weight of the camera upside-down, though. My friend at Nikon Professional Services tells me that he's seen a lot of damaged cameras come in for repair after the threading or case around it gave out and the camera just dropped. On the other hand, the camera strap points were designed to hold the weight.

If anyone is interested in the Up-Strap that I mentioned, here's the site. I bought the Large camera strap with heavy-duty release. It seems very well made.

http://www.upstrap-pro.com
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Take both. There are days when you will definitely wish you had your slr. Just because you bring the slr doesn't mean you have to carry it with you everyday. I never put my camera around my neck either. Have to agree with WBeem. I always put the camera on my shoulder. In fact this time around I would choose just one lens and put it on the camera and just go with it. It worked out great. I left the gear in the hotel when I decided I needed a midday break. I didn't have the bag/backpack and it was just the camera and I....and oh yeah the family.

Take both.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses

Last edited by KCmike; 10-13-2012 at 11:56 AM.
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
photo_chick

That's what I love about my Crumpler strap. You can do around your neck or across your body comfortably with it. Some straps won't let you switch around comfortably. I don't do over my shoulder because I don't have particularly wide shoulders and things slip off too easily.

And I also am leery of the straps that attach with the tripod mount. But it doesn't change that a lot of people like them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: