Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #61
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
Seriously? That's really ironic! I purposefully didn't buy Cadburys in the US because I knew it wasn't the same but I didn't know it was made by Hershey.

Shame you don't have the proper stuff anymore- England is crazy about cadbury. It's delicious!

I'm assuming you have things like KitKats, Twix and Snickers? And of course everywhere has Haribos I am guessing
Yeah we have Kit Kats and all that. I'm not sure if its the same as what you guys have though. Usually the international aisles have that the British versions of that stuff. I don't know what Haribos is. Maybe we have it and I've just never noticed.

I'm lucky because there's a British food store not too far from me. I usually go and stock up on the good stuff. I'll have to look up what Haribos is. Maybe I can find it at the British store. I need to go there soon anyways.

Quote:
My mom always made popcorn balls for the trick-or-treaters.
My mom would always buy popcorn balls and vanilla creme drops (I think that's what they were called0. We'd smoosh the creme drop on the popcorn ball. I don't see the drops anywhere anymore. I think the craft store has some but that's about it.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #62
nicolita3
DIS Veteran

Haribos are the gummy bears I love them!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #63
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway

Yeah we have Kit Kats and all that. I'm not sure if its the same as what you guys have though. Usually the international aisles have that the British versions of that stuff. I don't know what Haribos is. Maybe we have it and I've just never noticed.

I'm lucky because there's a British food store not too far from me. I usually go and stock up on the good stuff. I'll have to look up what Haribos is. Maybe I can find it at the British store. I need to go there soon anyways.
I'm pretty sure you must have haribo- I just researched it and apparently the US does have them. Gummy bears, cola bottles, tangfastics, starmix- not sure if they're under different names or something. I think they're actually German but huge in the UK as well as most of Europe.

We don't have international isles so to speak, although we've seen some Hershey Kisses hanging up in the supermarket and also the occasional beef jerky haha. What amazed me in the US was the trail mix- mixed in with sweets/candy. I felt like I was in a movie!

Out of interest, what does your British store sell? I'm guessing you've seen Marmite- some people's Reactions to that are rather funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolita3
Yup! We love gummy bears. But cola bottles are my favourite. Yum!

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #64
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
I'm pretty sure you must have haribo- I just researched it and apparently the US does have them. Gummy bears, cola bottles, tangfastics, starmix- not sure if they're under different names or something. I think they're actually German but huge in the UK as well as most of Europe.

We don't have international isles so to speak, although we've seen some Hershey Kisses hanging up in the supermarket and also the occasional beef jerky haha. What amazed me in the US was the trail mix- mixed in with sweets/candy. I felt like I was in a movie!

Out of interest, what does your British store sell? I'm guessing you've seen Marmite- some people's Reactions to that are rather funny!

Yup! We love gummy bears. But cola bottles are my favourite. Yum!
Yup, we do have them! I must have had chocolate on my brain because I was thinking chocolate bar.

The British store has a decent variety. There's a refrigerated sections with back bacon, meat pies, butter and cheese. It basically has a little of everything, canned goods, crisps (you guys have some interesting flavors we don't have), drinks, condiments.

I mostly stick with chocolate and Cadbury biscuits (I might be addicted to them). It does sell Marmite. I've never tried it.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #65
MissTink
MissyTink Boo Boo

CR (x4) ~ ASSp (x4) ~ ASMu (x2) ~ ASMo (x4) ~ CBR ~ POLY ~ POP
MissTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #66
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolita3 View Post
My friends were having a facebook debate over the weekend about whether or not Haribo gummy bears are really different flavors. They ended up having a blind taste test just to check. Interestingly enough, no one could tell a difference, but I swear that the clear pineapple are the best.

JennaDeeDooDah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #67
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Circus Peanuts are the worst. When I was a kid, if you passed out Circus Peanuts, your house got TP'd.

RE: Chocolate bars - there was a change to the requirements of calling something "chocolate" a while back. Basically, they lowered the percentage of actual cocoa that had to be in a product for it to be called "chocolate" (if it falls below this range, they can't use the term "chocolate" - a lot of them use "chocolatey" instead because, well, people are stupid and don't read). So of course, manufacturers now put in a large amount cheap fillers instead of actual cocoa.

That is why chocolate tastes awful now. It's no longer really chocolate, it's a mess of fillers and a relatively tiny bit of chocolate flavoring.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #68
princesspiglet
DIS Veteran

When I was a kid there were 3 houses that we all went to first as they had the best stuff. The first house was the whole way across town and up a hill and we would run as fast as we could to it! A nice old lady lived there and passed out the BEST homemade Cinnamon and Caramel rolls I have ever had. She only made so many a year, so you had to get there right away if you wanted one. At the bottom of the hill was another old lady who passed out cans of Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, etc, so she was our second stop. My grandma was our third. She would pass out full size candy bars on a silver platter and give each kid a dollar! LOL

Now I like to pass out full size candy bars, but I only give those to the kids I know. The rest get fun size versions. I live in Hershey, so most of the products I give out are Hershey products. Usually the town parade is a few nights before Trick or treat, so we hit up the parade, get 20 pounds of Hershey products for free and use that as our TorT candy!
princesspiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #69
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post
Circus Peanuts are the worst. When I was a kid, if you passed out Circus Peanuts, your house got TP'd.

RE: Chocolate bars - there was a change to the requirements of calling something "chocolate" a while back. Basically, they lowered the percentage of actual cocoa that had to be in a product for it to be called "chocolate" (if it falls below this range, they can't use the term "chocolate" - a lot of them use "chocolatey" instead because, well, people are stupid and don't read). So of course, manufacturers now put in a large amount cheap fillers instead of actual cocoa.

That is why chocolate tastes awful now. It's no longer really chocolate, it's a mess of fillers and a relatively tiny bit of chocolate flavoring.
Ah, it's like the whole burger vs. hamburger situation, but with chocolate. That clears that up. Thanks.

JennaDeeDooDah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #70
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

I had an old piano teacher growing up who used to have a jar of circus peanuts. I will forever be scarred from those florescent orange things. I cannot believe they still make those!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #71
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
I had an old piano teacher growing up who used to have a jar of circus peanuts. I will forever be scarred from those florescent orange things. I cannot believe they still make those!
Maybe they're just the same ones being repackaged, like fruitcakes?
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: