Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
mickeymom55
Mouseketeer

Questions about special requests

My SIL broke (shattered) her ankle 3 weeks before our annual F&W vacation. She cannot put any pressure on her foot and is currently using a walker and wheelchair to get around. We have made arrangements for a scooter but have questions regarding resort accommodations. I contacted WDW to request a handicap accessible room but there are none available at POR. The CM said we could request a first floor room - which I guess will work, but can I request additional items such as a shower seat and hand held shower fixture? Are these items available? Thank you in advance for your input.
mickeymom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Yes.

Alligator Bayou at PO has no elevators, but buildings are only 2 stories high, so you have pretty much a 50:50 chance of ground floor even with making no requests.
The Mansions at PO do have elevators in each building, so if assigned there, you will just need to find where the elevators are in relation to your room.

PO New Orleans also has elevators in each building.

Most of the WDW resorts have at least grab bars in the showers of first floor rooms.

You can request shower chairs and hand held shower heads from Housekeeping/Engineering.

Two suggestions -
Shower chair - before using it, check it out and make sure all the screws are tight. We got one once that was wobbly because the screws were loose. You want to check that out before actually using it.

Hand held shower head - make sure you know how to make the water divert to and from it and the regular shower head. Some are pretty obvious, but others not.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
mickeymom55
Mouseketeer

Smile

Thank you so much for the reply. Excellent info on checking the equipment and shower head!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Be aware that the grab rails in regular rooms are on the back wall and may be of no use getting in and out of the tub. Depending on which ankle it is I was able to use the tub using a garbage bag and a large rubber band covering my cast. I still had to keep the leg out but it avoided getting the cast damp. I was no weight bearing for 3 months and made 2 Disney trips during that time.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
mickeymom55
Mouseketeer

Smile

Two trips?!? We will be thrilled to accomplish just one! From what you said, you can commiserate with the situation. Good to know about the grab bar location in the tub. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Yep. Shattered my tibia and fibula and a metatarsal. I am now screwed together with 2 plates and 16 screws and feel it every time it gets cold. Tell her to take her pain meds before she really is in pain. My first trip was a week after surgery and had already been planned. It was Gay Day weekend and I was able do most thing but not Jungle Cruise. Special boat was not working yet. She will not be able to get in and out with the walker safely. She may need to transfer to a manual chair to use the special boat, but she will be able to go that way.
Be aware that the scooters can't go through all ride lines and she may be asked to transfer to a manual chair in some instances for the line. Pirates is a transfer to a manual chair and a step down that may not be doable with a walker or help from companions. Similar to Jungle Cruise and no special boat.
Maelstrom similar situation with a step down.
I tended to focus on the shows and parades rather than the rides knowing I could come back at other times for the rides.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
mickeymom55
Mouseketeer

Smile

We are already planning our next visit minus the cast and ECV! Sounds like a good excuse to go back. We will do our best and rely on CMs who know how to handle needs like this. Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

The way I get into some rides when I am non-weight bearing on a limb (which seems to happen randomly), I kinda scoot down on my butt from the wheelchair seat, then down into the boat. That way my center of gravity is low. Think of a toddle "bumping" down the steps on his rear end. I basically still do that when I need to.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
mickeymom55
Mouseketeer

Smile

I love it "I do what I need to" -great advice. The goal is to have fun and I appreciate the help with information I've received and great tips to make the most of our trip.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

I had a break very similar to Lisa (Talking Hands). Totally shattered the ankle. I didn't manage to get to Disney during that time but being non-weight bearing for three months was pretty tough even without a Disney Trip!

If she has a shower chair, as Lisa suggested, using a plastic garbage bag and some duct tape you can keep the cast dry in the shower. My husband used to wrap me up every morning before my shower. He did have to help me in and out of the tub. A HA shower would be much easier to deal with!

When you rented the ECV did you ask about having it able to elevate the leg? The ankle will swell if not elevated and will be very uncomfortable. I am not familiar with equipment that comes with a rental ECV but most of them I've seen at the parks don't look like it would be easy to elevate the leg.

If she is taking narcotic pain meds, she might want to avoid anything that spins! Even when I don't have broken bones I sometimes take pain meds for arthritis and some other stuff and they don't mix well with Mission Space for me!

I did do a trip in a manual wheelchair last May. I had a stress fracture in the foot with the bad ankle. I walk a bit "off" because of the ankle and it caused the damage. So my daughter pushed me. This saved the expense of renting a scooter since we own a wheelchair. Personal chairs are much better than the Disney rentals I understand. The cast members were great when they saw us coming. They quickly directed us to where we should go when you reach the point of the line where they have to separate wheelchairs from the regular line. Not sure how many are in your party but we had three and they always kept us together. I did not get a GAC since the wheelchair was the only accommodation I needed.

If her cast is high enough that she can't bend her knee (mine was mid-thigh) it might be difficult to board some attractions.
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

Check out this trip report for Doing Disney Disabled!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=465756
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Something to watch like was previously brought up, and that is the swelling. I broke my foot 17 years ago and to this day when it is hanging down too long, it swells up. In a cast it will be worse, and if it is hot out, it will swell even more. A wheelchair with elevating leg rests might be good idea to have too. At least she could have the best of both worlds. She could drive the ECV for a while and then switch to the chair to elevate her leg. It is almost impossible to elevate the leg on a ECV to help eliminate the swelling. Remember the more her leg swells the more pain she is going to be in. If there are enough of you to switch off on pushing, I would just fore go the ECV and use the wheelchair exclusively as long as it has elevating legs.

I can tell you from experience that if she is in pain from the swelling, she will not have any fun and will be miserable!
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
mickeymom55
Mouseketeer

Smile

I didn't even think about swelling. Being at the parks for extended periods of time without elevating her leg could be very uncomfortable. Alternating between the wheelchair and ECV is a good idea. She is in a hard Velcro closure boot. October weather can be very hot during the day and that could add to the swelling. So much to think about to be sure she's comfortable. We don't want to add any complications to her situation! Firsthand experience (unfortunately) results in great suggestions. I knew this was the best place for help.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
mickeymom55
Mouseketeer

Smile Update

Just wanted to give you a quick review of how things went on our trip. It was great! We had a first floor room at POR which worked out perfect. The shower bench we requested showed up on the first full day of our stay. We stopped several times during the day to let my SIL put her foot up as well as take her boot off for some relief. As far as the rides are concerned, we were amazed at how efficient the CMs were at assisting us. Also, they were helpful and polite - only one instance of a C M being a little short with us but no big deal. Using the ECV also worked out great. We rented from Walker Mobility -prompt delivery and no issues. Crowds at the F&WF were pretty heavy and tough to maneuver, but we managed. Low crowds for the MNSSHP made for a pleasant evening. My SIL did return to the room a few times during our stay to put her foot up on pillows - this allowed her to go a little longer in the evenings. Again, thank you all for the information and encouragement - it definitely helped to make our trip easier and comfortable! You are great!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
mickey&minniealways
DIS Veteran

Don't have any experience with the leg but as far as getting a cast wet. My DD several years ago burnt her arm. Melted butter that was meant to go on popcorn. Instead it spilled all down here forearm covered in 2nd degree burns. We had to change the dressing every day. She was 12 at the time. This happened about a month before our planned April vacation trip. She is a fish in the water and telling her she couldn't go in the pool wasn't going to go over well. So we visited the disboards and found out about an inflatible cast. So we ordered it online. They have them for Arms, elbows, legs, over the knee, foot and ankle. You put it on over the cast or dressing and blow it up afterwards. She was able to bath, shower and go in the pool. This thing literaly saved our vaction. Good luck.
mickey&minniealways is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: