Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
snarfblatt
Mouseketeer

Mickey Head Tye Dye shirts

How hard are these for a novice.....novice of the novices.

Any tips or tricks?

DS (9) DS (6) Dh ME
2000- All Star Music
2005- Sheraton Vistana
2010- Sheraton Vistana
2012- PORFQ
snarfblatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

People have mixed results. If you go to the craft board there's a huge thread about these. That'll be the best place for info.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarfblatt View Post
How hard are these for a novice.....novice of the novices.

Any tips or tricks?
They are not that hard, but make them far enough ahead of time prior to your trip that you have time to make a second batch of them if you are unhappy with the first. There is a HUGE thread in the crafts board, be sure to read it all. I made them before my trip, and was very happy with them. We saw at least 2-3 other families wearing them during our trip.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Celidh
DIS Veteran

I made them for our 2011 trip. I didn't find them hard. Just follow the instructions. As the pp said, there is a thread here that is good and easy to follow.

I did have it bookmarked but must have cleared it. Just search for it on here or I think even if you google it, you still get the dis thread.

Celidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Ashlander
DIS Veteran

My tip is when I have the Mickey Head sewn and rubber banded I then cut a slit in the bottom of a baggie and put that over the Mickey Head and secure it with another rubber band. I do this to keep this dye from going where I don't want it to go. Then I close up the bag at the top when I am done. and do the rest of the shirt.

I am getting ready to do these shirts for our trip in November. Have you ever tie dyed before???

Me, DH, DS(11), DD(10), DD(8)

Ashlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
lucyem
DIS Veteran

I made some this summer. It took me two tries to get it right. But in the end 4 out of 6 were good. The boys just have some extra tie dye shirts to wear. It was not hard but it does take some tweaking and experimenting. My next task is to try again but to get the dye bright. I saw a lot of people at WDW with homemade tie dye shirts that were so vividly bright. Mine looked more washed out.

My only tip I never saw anywhere was to spread out the ears some if using a print out mickey shape. I found one online and cut off one ear and taped it down at a wider spot. Then traced the shape on the shirt and then using non waxed dental floss sewed the shape and then pulled the floss tight. The first round of shirts had little space left between the ears after the dye. The mickey heads looked like blobs. Once I widened the ears it made all the difference.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
snarfblatt
Mouseketeer

I thought we wanted to use waxed thread... The wax helps keep the dye from spreading.

I have tye dyed before but not with a celebrity in the middle

I've thought about avoiding the problems and re-Do's and just ordering them from Etsy but now it's become a challenge... I think I can, I think I can, I think I can

DS (9) DS (6) Dh ME
2000- All Star Music
2005- Sheraton Vistana
2010- Sheraton Vistana
2012- PORFQ
Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Ashlander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarfblatt View Post
I thought we wanted to use waxed thread... The wax helps keep the dye from spreading.

I have tye dyed before but not with a celebrity in the middle

I've thought about avoiding the problems and re-Do's and just ordering them from Etsy but now it's become a challenge... I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
You do need waxed floss - I get unflavored

You can do it!!! I just ordered the dye from Dharma Trading Company - I've been very happy with their dyes. Also you need to make sure you soak the shirts in soda ash first - or PH up pool chemicals which is what I use. It really makes a difference to do this step - the shirts are MUCH brighter.

Me, DH, DS(11), DD(10), DD(8)

Ashlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlander View Post
You do need waxed floss - I get unflavored
That would so make sense. Duh! The instructions I had found had said to use unwaxed. Might help with that spreading blob
Old 10-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
snarfblatt
Mouseketeer

Someone wanna make mine for me...

DS (9) DS (6) Dh ME
2000- All Star Music
2005- Sheraton Vistana
2010- Sheraton Vistana
2012- PORFQ
Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
myramsy
Mouseketeer

I made them years ago and loved them. I found them pretty easy to make. we wore them to the parks and a few people asked us where we bought them...My ds is now a teenager so I dont think he would wear one now.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

I bought tye dye shirts in the past but decided to try and make my own for our upcoming trip. They turned out ok. Not near as nice as the ones I bought. Here is the instructions I used to make ours...

http://disneydreamerdesigns.blogspot...-t-shirts.html

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
cyndik1111
DIS Veteran

They aren't hard, just time consuming and messy. I made them for the whole family when we did a disney cruise. they turned out great...I was shocked! Never Tie-Dyed before. I was skeptical till the very end. I used the thread that a pp had mentioned. I followed instructions step by step- no real problems. I do remember I used a ton of giant rubber bands. My hands were blue for days.
cyndik1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
PlutosMommy
Mouseketeer

Give it a Try!

We made them for our upcoming trip, and they were not hard at all! I was prepared to make them over if the first ones didn't turn out, but they did. I followed the instructions on this board (post 2020)

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2028914&page=135

I soaked my shirts in soda ask for 24 hours. We did not wash them in synthrapol at the end. I bought all the supplies at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon (Jacquard Dye Kit).

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

By the time you buy the shirts and the good dye, and then do it a second time because the first ones are for practice, you might as well buy them. I bought mine off etsy and wear them ALL the time....

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86370345...earch_type=all

They use the good dyes and they have not faded in the 18 months since we have been wearing them. If you buy your own, buy the good dyes. The other stuff turns pastel and just fades.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: