Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #31
battymum
DIS Veteran

aww - that looks just beautiful !!

However I had come on here to tell a story.

My kids often talk about a boy they went to primary school with who still believed in Santa in Year 6 - now I dont think he was bullied directly, but there was certainly a lot of s******ing and disbelief behind his back. Otherwise he was probably more mature than the other boys, always wanted the teenage fashion etc when he was very young.

It still comes up in conversations 4 years later "remember when xxxxx believed in Santa in Year 6 bahahahha"

Sad - I know, but be careful, might be the time to ease him into it, maybe Santa only leaves big presents for under 10s or something like that. Christmas magic is certainly about more than Santa.

Please dont flame me - just telling it as I thought it was sort of cruel for his mother to do that to him.
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #32
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by areweindisneyyet View Post
At work now so had time to think some more:

DD2 was very worried Santa wouldn't find us so wrote him a letter in Macy's

And we visited him in Disneyland and he picked her accent straight away and said of course I know you are here. Very reassuring. Could have paid him a fortune.
She was so relieved when he found us.

I also ordered from room service milk and cookies for Santa and hot chocolate and cookies for the girls before bedtime. That was also nice and normal.

We also had the lego solution and did just that. Took some big zip lock bags to make sure all was kept together as was meant to be. We came home with about 5 different Harry Potter sets and a Star Wars set.

Christmas Day we had a normal breakfast, had sherbert and choc chip cookies and chilli for lunch and found a more traditional meal for dinner. Many of the hotels offer a Christmas Day meal. This brought the formal part of the day. It was so nice not to be peeling potatos or stuck in the kitchen. Told DH we should do this every year

From memory I paid about 40USD for double leather pandora's one pink and one purple at the Pandora shop in Honolulu. I got turtles and dolphins as they had swum with them in Hawaii, a plane, and found a non Pandora bead for Disney. We have been adding the Europe one's for special occasions such as birthdays. DD1 now has Eiffel Tower and DD2 Big Ben.

The Christmas case worked well because we also kept track of what space we had. It was just remembering which one it was and not having the kids peak inside. DH told them it was the dirty washing.
What an awesome Santa at Disneyland. No one does it like Disney I tell ya .

Our Christmas day is lunch at The Rock Cafe overlooking the iceskaters at Rockefeller Centre and then Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular. I'm also thinking if we feel like it and are up early we might go to Ellen's Stardust Diner for breakfast, I think that would be fun.

I'm not so worried about Christmas day activities so much, I think we've got lots of good things planned. It's more just those "from home" traditions that I would like to incorporate where I can.

We will definitely do the milk and cookies for Santa, I love that. We always give the kids Christmas jammies so that will still happen.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #33
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
I don't actually have anything useful to add as everyone else's suggestions have been so wonderful!

Ms Shuttergirl, whatever you decide to do or not to do, it will be special because you're there as a family and its Christmas! So try not to stress too much about it (easier said than done I know), things will fall into place somehow. This is just my 2 cents, but if you can, keep it simple. So it will all be about the experience of a special day in a special place rather than about material goods that is being received. Knowing you, "simple" will be quite phenomenal anyway!
Thanks Shushh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
aww - that looks just beautiful !!

However I had come on here to tell a story.

My kids often talk about a boy they went to primary school with who still believed in Santa in Year 6 - now I dont think he was bullied directly, but there was certainly a lot of s******ing and disbelief behind his back. Otherwise he was probably more mature than the other boys, always wanted the teenage fashion etc when he was very young.

It still comes up in conversations 4 years later "remember when xxxxx believed in Santa in Year 6 bahahahha"

Sad - I know, but be careful, might be the time to ease him into it, maybe Santa only leaves big presents for under 10s or something like that. Christmas magic is certainly about more than Santa.

Please dont flame me - just telling it as I thought it was sort of cruel for his mother to do that to him.
This is something I think about from time to time too Battymum. He's only in year 4 and has only just turned 10. I'm sure he will be a wake up very soon but until then, I'll enjoy it while I can.

Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #34
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

I found this - thought if I tweaked it a little in terms of the wording that the kids would think this was fun. I could wrap up $1 notes:-

Thought this was cute too for DD. I love Christmas craft:-

I've found some Christmas word searches and stuff like that too. If I give DS a little activity to do on days when we have some down time, along with watching some movies, playing some Christmas carols on ipods, reading some of the stories and poems with a few simple decorations in the room - I'm sure that coupled with all of the Christmas amazingness we encounter in the US that we will have the most amazing time.

Thank you

I truly can't thank you enough for all of your help on this. Just reading others suggestions and experiences really got my mind into gear and I'm feeling much more comfortable with everything which I think was what my post was all about in the first place . I thought it was about the children and their expectations but in the end I realised it's probably my own comfort and expectations I was trying to satisfy.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #35
shushh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
I've found some Christmas word searches and stuff like that too. If I give DS a little activity to do on days when we have some down time, along with watching some movies, playing some Christmas carols on ipods, reading some of the stories and poems with a few simple decorations in the room - I'm sure that coupled with all of the Christmas amazingness we encounter in the US that we will have the most amazing time.

I truly can't thank you enough for all of your help on this. Just reading others suggestions and experiences really got my mind into gear and I'm feeling much more comfortable with everything which I think what my post was all about in the first place . I thought it was about the children and their expectations but in the end I realised it's probably my own comfort and expectations I was trying to satisfy.
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #36
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What an awesome Santa at Disneyland. No one does it like Disney I tell ya .

Our Christmas day is lunch at The Rock Cafe overlooking the iceskaters at Rockefeller Centre and then Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular. I'm also thinking if we feel like it and are up early we might go to Ellen's Stardust Diner for breakfast, I think that would be fun.

I'm not so worried about Christmas day activities so much, I think we've got lots of good things planned. It's more just those "from home" traditions that I would like to incorporate where I can.

We will definitely do the milk and cookies for Santa, I love that. We always give the kids Christmas jammies so that will still happen.
Yes, and we still did the unwrapping of new Christmas jammies on Christmas Eve... thanks for the reminder. The little things the same were great, but lots of new ones like sherbert for morning tea on Christmas Day

A touch of old, A touch of new!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #37
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Shuttergirl...

Picture my friend sent me...apparently $25. About 2 1/2 ft tall. She asked what size were you looking for. Is this what you're kinda looking for? If so, then she can probably suggest somewhere.

She also mentioned the Dollar Stores.
Quote:
That tree is adorable. So kind of your friend and yourself to help me with this. I'd love to hear where she thinks I could find something like this. I will definitely have decorations to put on a tree as I will be shopping up a storm in WDW. I'd also love to know where the Dollar stores are near Times Square if you friend wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks again PIO for your amazing help.
Hi Shuttergirl. I'm PIO's friend. I have lived in NYC most of my life and right in the Times Square area. I know this place really well and can offer you some suggestions. It would be helpful to know which part of Times Square you are staying in. At least the numbered cross street. Then I can direct you to stores closer to where you will be.

For instance, there are two supermarkets which have the 2 1/2 ft tree PIO posted above. They are both the same supermarket: Food Emporium, but one is at 43rd St & 9th Ave, and the other is at 49th St at 8th Ave.

Both places also will have down the street, a street vendor which will be selling whole Christmas trees on the sidewalk. Since you are staying for 9 days, and you are into decorating, you might want to look at 3+ ft tall trees (below) instead like this and decorate it with your kids. You can probably have them cut the tree down to any size you want. You can buy a little stand from them. They will put the tree in a sleeve, so you can carry/drag it with you. Or you can hail a cab and drive it back to the hotel for about $7.

When we get closer to the holidays and the trees are out for sale, I can probably take a few pictures on my cellphone of the Christmas trees for sale, so you will have a better idea of what is being offered and know where you want to head to. it will save you some time.

Dollar Stores:
There are three different dollar stores in the area. They usually have a full wall of Christmas decorations as well as small, decorative gift boxes and even some NYC souvenirs. You can get a string of lights there or at any drugstore.

One dollar store is on W. 46th St between 5 & 6 Aves. South side of the street. I don't know the name off hand. Dollar something. You can't miss it. It has two floors. A household section on the lower floor, in case you need something cheap there. They also have mugs that say NYC on them, and some small stuff like that.

It's closer to 5th Ave. Also close to the BIG Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center at 49th St between 5th & 6th Aves. Up on the the "Top of the Rock" is the best view of Manhattan in my opinion. St Patrick's Cathedral is across the street on 5th Ave. You don't need the building numbers in NYC for stores as you know the cross streets.

NOTE: When you give an address to a taxi cab, always give the cross streets instead of a building number. Only tourists (who they can then rip off by driving around an extra 10 minutes and adding to the fare,) give building numbers like: 523 Main St. instead of saying "Main Street & 23rd St."

Jack's 99 cent store, is located on E. 40th St between 5th Ave and Madison Ave. South side of the street. you will know it's the south side of the streets because the numbered streets count down as you head south.

A second Jack's 99 cent store, is near Macy's & K-mart, which PIO gave the address of earlier. This one is located on 32nd St between 6th & 7th Aves. It is 2 blocks south of Macy's. 3 blocks over from K-mart. And about 6 blocks from the Empire State Building.

Drugstores:
Walgreens is right at the "V" in Tines Square. Look up, see the ball that drops on New Years eve and head to that building. At the base of it will be Walgreens, on 42nd St.

Rite Aid is at W. 50th St & 8 Ave. NW corner. They will have an aisle of Christmas stuff like lights and balls.

Don't shop at Duane Reade - extremely overpriced tourist trap.

Baked Goods:
Food Emporium (where I mentioned getting a 2 1/2 ft tree from) is more of a high end supermarket so they actually have a fresh baked goods section, complete with gingerbread cookies and decorated Christmas cookies. You can buy a platter or small containers. I stopped by earlier tonight and picked up these mini cupcakes for $2.

My favorite bakeries in the world are located in Times Square. One is called The Little Pie Company. Long before Oprah listed it as one of her "Favorite Things" on her Christmas shows, we locals knew about this shop. We'd line up every Thanksgiving morning and Christmas morning to pick up our heavenly baked pies. They are so popular, that before Oprah helped them become famous and they were able to open 2 more shops around the city, the reserve list for the pies closed in AUGUST. If you didn't get on by then, you might have a chance to get pie that was by first come-first serve. BUT you had to stand in line at 6am and hope by the time you got to the beginning, they still had the type pie you wanted - or your holiday would be ruined as all your loved ones want one of those pies. With the 2 extra stores, they no longer had to have a reserve list for the pies. But, still go early on Christmas morning, or the best flavors will run out.

My favorite pie from The Little Pie Company, is their sour cream apple walnut pie. It's like no other pie in the world.

(Oprah's favorite is the key lime pie.) The big pies are between $23 - $30 for one pie, but so worth it. BUT, they also sell 5 inch pies for $8, so you could actually get a couple smaller pies, or one a day, to split into 4 slices for you & your family. Here is the selection of pies:
http://www.littlepiecompany.com/

If you want to experience an authentic "New York" style cheesecake, get a cheesecake from Junior's, on W. 45th St between Broadway & 8th Aves. Don't eat at Juniors, they are way overpriced. Just get a cheesecake or dessert there. They have special crunchies on their cheesecake. The "everything" cheesecake is really good. Their cupcakes have authentic butter cream frosting. It is just around the corner from the Disney Store & Toys are Us.

See the crunchies!

Here is a thread of places to eat in the Times Square area. I have a few posts on it:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2918439

As for where to hide presents, ask your concierge if they have a room or closet in which you might be able to store a box or suitcase in for a day or two. Usually they have an area in which guests who have packages mailed to them are safely stored until they can pick them up. They might be able to hold your presents of you label the box well with your name & room number. Especially if you make it clear you will give them a nice tip for doing you that special favor.

K-mart actually has layaway. In which you can shop & reserve your items and pick them up on Christmas eve. The lines for pick up will probably be long though. And the store may close early. Make sure you know the store hours on Christmas eve.

Oh, one warning, do NOT go to the Target in Manhattan. It is actually in a very dangerous neighborhood: Spanish Harlem. Which is more dangerous than regular Harlem. _I_ won't even go there. You have to walk several blocks from the subway to get there. And you will probably be mugged of all your purchases on the way back. One friend I know takes a taxi or car service to come back when she has several bags. Kind of defeats the purpose of shopping and getting low prices when you have to hire a car or taxi.

If you want to go to Target, there is a nice one in Queens. If I know which hotel you will be at, I can tell you which subway to take that is close by. It's about 45 minutes by subway.

We have no Walmart in NYC. There is one in NJ. It's a short ride - about 20 minutes. And the bus station is a block from Times Square.

Feel free to PM me or have PIO get in touch with me if you have more questions or need more help, or I was unclear on anything. I am usually over on the DIS Community Board.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 10-12-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #38
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
Hi Shuttergirl. I'm PIO's friend. I have lived in NYC most of my life and right in the Times Square area. I know this place really well and can offer you some suggestions. It would be helpful to know which part of Times Square you are staying in. At least the numbered cross street. Then I can direct you to stores closer to where you will be.

For instance, there are two supermarkets which have the 2 1/2 ft tree PIO posted above. They are both the same supermarket: Food Emporium, but one is at 43rd St & 9th Ave, and the other is at 49th St at 8th Ave.

Both places also will have down the street, a street vendor which will be selling whole Christmas trees on the sidewalk. Since you are staying for 9 days, and you are into decorating, you might want to look at 3+ ft tall trees (below) instead like this and decorate it with your kids. You can probably have them cut the tree down to any size you want. You can buy a little stand from them. They will put the tree in a sleeve, so you can carry/drag it with you. Or you can hail a cab and drive it back to the hotel for about $7.

When we get closer to the holidays and the trees are out for sale, I can probably take a few pictures on my cellphone of the Christmas trees for sale, so you will have a better idea of what is being offered and know where you want to head to. it will save you some time.

Dollar Stores:
There are three different dollar stores in the area. They usually have a full wall of Christmas decorations as well as small, decorative gift boxes and even some NYC souvenirs. You can get a string of lights there or at any drugstore.

One dollar store is on W. 46th St between 5 & 6 Aves. South side of the street. I don't know the name off hand. Dollar something. You can't miss it. It has two floors. A household section on the lower floor, in case you need something cheap there. They also have mugs that say NYC on them, and some small stuff like that.

It's closer to 5th Ave. Also close to the BIG Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center at 49th St between 5th & 6th Aves. Up on the the "Top of the Rock" is the best view of Manhattan in my opinion. St Patrick's Cathedral is across the street on 5th Ave. You don't need the building numbers in NYC for stores as you know the cross streets.

NOTE: When you give an address to a taxi cab, always give the cross streets instead of a building number. Only tourists (who they can then rip off by driving around an extra 10 minutes and adding to the fare,) give building numbers like: 523 Main St. instead of saying "Main Street & 23rd St."

Jack's 99 cent store, is located on E. 40th St between 5th Ave and Madison Ave. South side of the street. you will know it's the south side of the streets because the numbered streets count down as you head south.

A second Jack's 99 cent store, is near Macy's & K-mart, which PIO gave the address of earlier. This one is located on 32nd St between 6th & 7th Aves. It is 2 blocks south of Macy's. 3 blocks over from K-mart. And about 6 blocks from the Empire State Building.

Drugstores:
Walgreens is right at the "V" in Tines Square. Look up, see the ball that drops on New Years eve and head to that building. At the base of it will be Walgreens, on 42nd St.

Rite Aid is at W. 50th St & 8 Ave. NW corner. They will have an aisle of Christmas stuff like lights and balls.

Don't shop at Duane Reade - extremely overpriced tourist trap.

Baked Goods:
Food Emporium (where I mentioned getting a 2 1/2 ft tree from) is more of a high end supermarket so they actually have a fresh baked goods section, complete with gingerbread cookies and decorated Christmas cookies. You can buy a platter or small containers. I stopped by earlier tonight and picked up these mini cupcakes for $2.

My favorite bakeries in the world are located in Times Square. One is called The Little Pie Company. Long before Oprah listed it as one of her "Favorite Things" on her Christmas shows, we locals knew about this shop. We'd line up every Thanksgiving morning and Christmas morning to pick up our heavenly baked pies. They are so popular, that before Oprah helped them become famous and they were able to open 2 more shops around the city, the reserve list for the pies closed in AUGUST. If you didn't get on by then, you might have a chance to get pie that was by first come-first serve. BUT you had to stand in line at 6am and hope by the time you got to the beginning, they still had the type pie you wanted - or your holiday would be ruined as all your loved ones want one of those pies. With the 2 extra stores, they no longer had to have a reserve list for the pies. But, still go early on Christmas morning, or the best flavors will run out.

My favorite pie from The Little Pie Company, is their sour cream apple walnut pie. It's like no other pie in the world.

(Oprah's favorite is the key lime pie.) The big pies are between $23 - $30 for one pie, but so worth it. BUT, they also sell 5 inch pies for $8, so you could actually get a couple smaller pies, or one a day, to split into 4 slices for you & your family. Here is the selection of pies:
http://www.littlepiecompany.com/

If you want to experience an authentic "New York" style cheesecake, get a cheesecake from Junior's, on W. 45th St between Broadway & 8th Aves. Don't eat at Juniors, they are way overpriced. Just get a cheesecake or dessert there. They have special crunchies on their cheesecake. The "everything" cheesecake is really good. Their cupcakes have authentic butter cream frosting. It is just around the corner from the Disney Store & Toys are Us.

See the crunchies!

Here is a thread of places to eat in the Times Square area. I have a few posts on it:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2918439

As for where to hide presents, ask your concierge if they have a room or closet in which you might be able to store a box or suitcase in for a day or two. Usually they have an area in which guests who have packages mailed to them are safely stored until they can pick them up. They might be able to hold your presents of you label the box well with your name & room number. Especially if you make it clear you will give them a nice tip for doing you that special favor.

K-mart actually has layaway. In which you can shop & reserve your items and pick them up on Christmas eve. The lines for pick up will probably be long though. And the store may close early. Make sure you know the store hours on Christmas eve.

Oh, one warning, do NOT go to the Target in Manhattan. It is actually in a very dangerous neighborhood: Spanish Harlem. Which is more dangerous than regular Harlem. _I_ won't even go there. You have to walk several blocks from the subway to get there. And you will probably be mugged of all your purchases on the way back. One friend I know takes a taxi or car service to come back when she has several bags. Kind of defeats the purpose of shopping and getting low prices when you have to hire a car or taxi.

If you want to go to Target, there is a nice one in Queens. If I know which hotel you will be at, I can tell you which subway to take that is close by. It's about 45 minutes by subway.

We have no Walmart in NYC. There is one in NJ. It's a short ride - about 20 minutes. And the bus station is a block from Times Square.

Feel free to PM me or have PIO get in touch with me if you have more questions or need more help, or I was unclear on anything. I am usually over on the DIS Community Board.
Wow Imzadi. So much AMAZING information. I can't thank you enough for jumping in with all of this detail. It is so very much appreciated.

To give you a point of reference, we are staying at The Hilton New York, Cnr 6th Ave & 53rd Street. We have stayed in this hotel before and liked that it was a few blocks off of Times Square. We felt that we explored a little more from this area.

To answer the food thing. I have done some research on dining options but would welcome your feedback on some of the places I've jotted down. I've created a personalised google map with some notes (yes I'm a little crazy ). I'd love it if you could take a look and tell me if my suggestions are an epic fail or whether I've got some good things on there:-

https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?m...ed35ad5c&msa=0

Some places we've eaten at before, many are new though. If you have some to add, that would be awesome.

That larger Christmas tree is super cute. I'd be happy with whatever so long as we have something so if you think we can find something with a street vendor then that would be perfect.

I will 100% be getting some of those pies from that pie company you recommended. We will likely buy 3 or 4 of the smaller ones so we can taste a few different ones and share. Thank you for that because they look yum yum yum.

I'll definitely stay away from Target but may give Kmart a whirl.

I have one supermarket marked down near our hotel but would welcome any recommendations for markets nearby to pick up breakfasts, yoghurts and snacks if you know of any.

Love those cupcakes you shared. Hmmmm and only $2, that is so cheap.

I've seen the Walgreens, I'm obsessed with buying large quantities of ibuprophen . It's so cheap there. Like seriously. I paid $7.95 for 24 tablets here yesterday and at Walgreens its like $14.95 for 500 or something ridiculous . I'll be stocking up for sure.

I think one of the dollar stores you mentioned isn't far from us so I'll definitely be checking them out.

Okay, I'm sure I've got lots of more questions but I'll leave it at that for the moment. You have been so very kind already, thank you so much.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #39
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Thanks Imzadi! You're the best!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #40
coco392
Mouseketeer

we did a letter to Santa telling him we'll be away and what hotel. asked Santa to leave presents at home. had 2 small ones on NYC

try a night before Christmas app!!! there are some very cool ones
coco392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #41
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

Quote:
Wow Imzadi. So much AMAZING information. I can't thank you enough for jumping in with all of this detail. It is so very much appreciated.

To give you a point of reference, we are staying at The Hilton New York, Cnr 6th Ave & 53rd Street. We have stayed in this hotel before and liked that it was a few blocks off of Times Square. We felt that we explored a little more from this area.
Oh, that's a good place. I haven't seen the rooms but attended a couple seminars there before.

If they serve free breakfasts, do NOT eat the bagels from there!!! They get them in bulk and refrigerate or freeze them. Once NY bagels have been refrigerated they become horrible, chewy, doughy hockey pucks that can be thrown as weapons.

Get FRESH bagels from a corner deli or from the street vendor carts. They usually do not have room to store them so they get fresh deliveries every morning. There are 3 things I am a real NY snob about: NY bagels, NY pizza & NY cheesecake. I'd rather go without than have bad ones.

Quote:
To answer the food thing. I have done some research on dining options but would welcome your feedback on some of the places I've jotted down. I've created a personalised google map with some notes (yes I'm a little crazy ). I'd love it if you could take a look and tell me if my suggestions are an epic fail or whether I've got some good things on there:-

https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?m...ed35ad5c&msa=0

Some places we've eaten at before, many are new though. If you have some to add, that would be awesome.
There are some places to cross off the list immediately and/or substitute. Some are real touristy traps, overpriced and not good food. I'd rather you save your money on experiences or events, and save on food, unless that's really part of the experience. I also have a friend who is a concierge at a hotel, so I'll ask him for some recommendations and give you our list later.

Right now, John's Pizza is good. Cross off Angelo's. Everyone raves about John's Pizza.

Cross off La Bonne Soupe, and substitute Au Bon Pain, which makes great soups like the New England clam chowder, the corn chowder or their pumpkin soup which was so good, I had to try to copycat it at home so I wouldn't go broke buying it all the time. I think I did make a reasonable copy. They make good sandwiches & salads, and pastries, too. There is one 52nd between 7th & 6th Aves. Another on 50th St. between 5th & 6 Ave.

Or Pret A Manger. They make fabulous sandwiches, all natural ingredients. I haven't had a bad sandwich there yet. Both places have several cafes right around the area, depending on which direction you head in. There is one on 6 Ave north of 47th St, east side, or on 42nd between 5th & 6 Ave. Plus a few other places in the area.

You can cross off Katz's Delicatessen. It's too far downtown, unless you are going to be doing something else down there. The area's kind of gritty. Carnegie Deli is on 7th Ave at 57th St. or Stage Deli on 7th Ave. at 54th St. Very busy, loud, touristy, but are known for their HUGE, overstuffed authentic pastrami or corned beef or brisket sandwiches, which is comparable to Katz. Probably one sandwich can feed two people. You can alternately order these to go and eat them in your hotel room if you get the midnite munchies. They are open late.

Also The Shake Shack on 8th Ave. The lines are out the door.
http://www.shakeshack.com/location/theater-district/

Cross of Bubba Gumps. It's just a name and no one I know has really liked the food there. If you want good seafood, there are better places my concierge friend can recommend.

Mickey Mantles is very expensive. Unless you are going in to watch a ball game, it is a very expensive experience. You pay per ITEM. If you order a steak, you ONLY get the steak, you still have to order the veg separately and for another $10, and also order the starch/carb separately, too.

Quote:
I have one supermarket marked down near our hotel but would welcome any recommendations for markets nearby to pick up breakfasts, yoghurts and snacks if you know of any.

Love those cupcakes you shared. Hmmmm and only $2, that is so cheap.
The cupcakes weren't that flavorful after all. They are new; must be a different baker than the one who makes their sheet cakes with real butter cream frosting. When I get a butter cream frosting craving I usually get a slice of cake there for $4. But the cupcakes looked good yesterday. I'm going back to the cake instead.

Junior's cheesecakes also makes a small size cheesecake, and single serving, mini cakes & slices, so you won't have a lot of leftovers. Their cupcakes also have real butter cream frosting.

Supermarkets - closest places to you:
Food Emporium: 49th St & 8 Ave - they have a fresh deli center upstairs, you can have sandwiches made, or take out containers of hot foods. Downstairs is the supermarket. Closes at midnight.

Gristedes: 54th St & 8 Ave. Slightly lower prices than Food Emporium. Open 24 hrs.

The Amish Market is on 9 Ave at 50th St. Great, fresh produce. They have good soups & a salad bar. They have a little cafe area. Closes at 10 pm.

Morton Williams Supermarket on W 57th between Broadway & 7th Ave is the cheapest supermarket around. Stock up on yogurts & fruits here or at Gristedes. Might be 24 hrs.

One of the best health food stores in the city is Westerley Market at 55th St & 8 Ave. Closes at midnight. They make pre-packages but made fresh daily, all natural sandwiches on whole grain bread, to take out, at the back wall of the store and have a fresh soup bar. Their produce is organic. They have a huge vitamin & supplement department. I get all my stuff there. The guys who work the supplement aisles really know their stuff & have worked their for years. You can ask them any question. One helped cure my anemia with their OTC iron supplement suggestion.

4 blocks up at 59th St & Broadway, (Columbus Circle) is Whole Foods. (Also a health food store.) They have a huge hot/cold food bar, sushi counter & places to sit downstairs. But get any supplements at Westerley as they will be cheaper. Closes at 10 pm.

Quote:
I've seen the Walgreens, I'm obsessed with buying large quantities of ibuprophen . It's so cheap there. Like seriously. I paid $7.95 for 24 tablets here yesterday and at Walgreens its like $14.95 for 500 or something ridiculous . I'll be stocking up for sure.
I know exactly what you mean! I stock up there too. Walgreens & Rite Aid on W 50th St are both 24 hours.

There is a post office on W. 50th St between 8th & 9th Ave. You can ship stuff home from there. There are also Fed Ex and UPS centers to ship stuff too in the neighborhood, if you prefer them instead. Closes at 6pm.

Quote:
I think one of the dollar stores you mentioned isn't far from us so I'll definitely be checking them out.
Yes, the dollar store on W 46th St between 6th & 5th Ave is just a walk from the hotel. Closes at 7:30pm.

Right down one block, on 45th St, almost back to back with the dollar store, is another Jack's discount store. But, they aren't the 99 cent store. Higher priced items. Some great discounts on household items & beauty supplies. Like, if you suddenly decide to buy a cheap toaster during your stay, this would be the place to get one.

Are you pretty much only going to stay around the Times square area? Little Italy and Chinatown a few blocks down both have authentic, ethnic foods. Just get on the F train or the R train down there. But, you probably already get really great Chinese food being so close to China.

One thing for the kids to do: ice skating in central park or at Bryant Park.

We have the largest dinosaur exhibit in North America at the Museum of Natural History. The laser light show on Friday nites at the museum is supposed to be really fun.

I'll get back to you with a better restaurant list of the area later.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 10-13-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #42
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco392 View Post
we did a letter to Santa telling him we'll be away and what hotel. asked Santa to leave presents at home. had 2 small ones on NYC

try a night before Christmas app!!! there are some very cool ones
Every Christmas eve, there is an online program where Norad Tracks Santa LIVE as he crosses the globe. Norad stands for: North American Aerospace Defense Command, (this is a real place.) So they have the tracking satellites around the globe in outer space.

Since the kids will be in NY, they can track him as he comes across AU, Asia and through Europe. That would be fun for them this year. If they are still up, it's fun to see him when he flies through NYC.

The site doesn't come online until Christmas eve, when Santa leaves the North Pole. I don't know if they have a phone app.
http://www.noradsanta.org/
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #43
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Imzadi - I am mortally wounded at the suggestion that Bubba Gumps isn't any good . All of the aussies who read this will be cracking up because I absolutely adore Bubba Gumps. It will be the first place we eat when we arrive into NYC, I'm not even kidding. The bourbon st mahi mahi is a dish I dream about . Here is my gorgeous little mahi mahi

So I'll have to still go there I'm afraid .

I will add Au Bon Pain to the list and will definitely note down all of those amazing supermarket recommendations. That is priceless information so thank you thank you thank you. Knowing that they are open for such long hours and where to go for great fruit etc is truly going to be so helpful, not just to me but to many of the other aussie disers who will be visiting NYC.

Have been to Carnegie Deli for a few breakkies but hadn't done the pastrami there. Perhaps we'll skip Katz deli but I have to say my DH and I have been drooling over the pictures of the Reuben and the Pastrami on rye for a while. We do like our food very very much I'm afraid and whilst I know Katz is a complete tourist trap, what can I say, I love me some When Harry Met Sally .

Mickey Mantles is more for my DH and DS. They are wild for baseball and are very sad that we will miss seeing any games while we are in the US this time.

And I'm crazy excited about checking out the cheap shops you've mentioned. I love wandering through those type of shops here so can only imagine how much more fantastic they are in the US. Yay .

Post office v UPS - Is UPS a courier company? So I'd probably be better off going to the post office. I've heard the post office do a flat rate box internationally to the US that costs something like $50 regardless of the weight. So long as it fits in the box. I may need to use one or 2 or those once my DH starts shopping, he's a shopaholic .

That idea about tracking Santa is soooo cool. I have never seen anything like it, thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for all of this help. I'm so very grateful.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #44
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

Quote:
Imzadi - I am mortally wounded at the suggestion that Bubba Gumps isn't any good . All of the aussies who read this will be cracking up because I absolutely adore Bubba Gumps. It will be the first place we eat when we arrive into NYC, I'm not even kidding. The bourbon st mahi mahi is a dish I dream about . Here is my gorgeous little mahi mahi

Maybe we're just afraid of a fish that has to name itself the same thing twice.
That does look good though.

Quote:
Mickey Mantles is more for my DH and DS. They are wild for baseball and are very sad that we will miss seeing any games while we are in the US this time.
Tell them to go for lunch. It will be cheaper.

Maybe you & DD can go to American Girl Place at the same time? I don't know if that will be too young for her.

Quote:
Post office v UPS - Is UPS a courier company? So I'd probably be better off going to the post office. I've heard the post office do a flat rate box internationally to the US that costs something like $50 regardless of the weight. So long as it fits in the box. I may need to use one or 2 or those once my DH starts shopping, he's a shopaholic .
Yes, UPS is a courier service like Fed Ex. The post office does have the flat rate boxes. It's all you can stuff up to 70 lbs, I think.
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #45
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I was sitting here giggling when i read that post and then i read this :rofl2 :rofl2 but you are not alone it is one of our favourite places to eat in NY as well and i don't think we could do a trip without eating there

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: