Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #3436
BDL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
Good Morning!!!

Congrats on breaking the 50 day mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamerMN View Post
50 days!!!
Congrats on being at the 50 day mark.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #3437
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie's Nana View Post
Too funny. On our honeymoon (will be 50 years next Feb) we drove from Buffalo to Miami without hotel reservations - kept driving around trying to find a motel. There were none available except a rather seedy looking one but they would only rent for 1-2 hours.
Thats awesome congrats
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #3438
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

I think its rather unfair of Valgoof to leave us all wondering
Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #3439
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubeast

My DH and I have a fascination with taking pics of old motels and signage in general. He actually took the pic of the Sands while I stayed in the car. A lady walked out of a room and came over to him to ask him if he was interested in.... (well you can guess). He came scurrying back to the car pretty quickly after that.
LOL!
And does he ask you to get out of the car to take pictures with him now?

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
Old 10-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #3440
M&MGirl1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgm2012 View Post
We've stayed away from renting mainly because, unless you're familiar, I've read that navigating the World can at times be pretty confusing and stressful. That alone would defeat the purpose of time-saving.

BUT the idea of not having to depend on ME for the return trip is something we'd considered - that hour can be precious time.

I don't think $200 is bad - divide that by the number of days and what you'd pay in cabs if you went that route and you'll find that it might pay for itself.

I'd say if you can afford to do it - then you should. Mainly because it will give you more mobility for your plans and just that fact that it's "available" at your beck-and-call...
Actually, I was the designated rental car driver on our huge family trip to WDW in Oct. 2010, so after 10 days of driving all over the World, it's not THAT confusing to me. Really, everything's very well marked, so if that's YOUR only concern with renting a car, I wouldn't let it sway you!

Having transportation at my beck and call is a BIG plus, and you are right, probably we'd end up spending at least $50 to $70 on cabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgoof View Post
We debated this for a while. DH wanted one, but I wasnt sure. Now I am excited about it for two of your reasons---getting back to resort from BW and I think we will be at DTD twice.
Those are the main reasons I'm leaning toward a rental - the ADRs at the resorts and the shopping trip to DTD. Part of me still thinks it's a silly expense, but a bigger part is telling me a $200 investment isn't bad to advert the (admittedly slim) possibility of waiting 2 hours for a bus and missing one of sissy's prized ADRs, which I would NEVER hear the end of, and therefore would be a trip ruiner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock View Post
I'm all for the car. I know its easier for us because we drive down but even if we flew, I would rent one. Disney transport is great but nothing beats getting in your own car and having a seat, your own music, control over heating/air etc. The biggest bonus is when you get to your car, there isn't a huge line of strangers waiting infront of you lol
I hadn't even though about knowing I'll have my own seat, and having control over the heating and music! The not having to wait in a huge line for a bus at park closing after we've been on our feet all day and are tired and cranky is a HUGE plus too. Hmm....now that I'm thinking about it that bus we'll have to wait on will probably be full of tired, cranky children too......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack View Post
I would normally vote NO for a rental car....but you only have 4 days and you are bouncing around quite a bit for parks and ADRs.....I think you almost HAVE to rent a car, otherwise you will be spending hours waiting for transportation.
And those are hours we could be playing in the parks if we had a rental! Ok, you all have convinced me! I'm off to book a rental now
Old 10-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #3441
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie's Nana

Too funny. On our honeymoon (will be 50 years next Feb) we drove from Buffalo to Miami without hotel reservations - kept driving around trying to find a motel. There were none available except a rather seedy looking one but they would only rent for 1-2 hours.
Congratulations on your upcoming 50th anniversary!
I bet that has contributed to some good stories over the years

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
Old 10-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #3442
Valgoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock View Post
I think its rather unfair of Valgoof to leave us all wondering
Sorry!! I actually had to get some work done this morning. Crazy, right?!

Well thankfully, none of our choices are "that kind of motel". LOL

I think all four options were guessed by at least one person. Sorry Tofu, changing the roll call again. But this time I swear I am done.

So after discussing this with DH last night.... We decided CSR looked too much like the condo we stayed in last year--very nice, but not Disney at all. We could stay somewhere like that on a different vacation.
WL was still my first choice, but if I want DH to ever agree to go to Disney again, this vacation cannot be a budget buster. AKL was a little cheaper, but still too much and DH had little interest in that one.

So POP Century it is!!!!! I am excited to have the food court and to take pictures of all the giant icons. I want to walk across the bridge to see AoA (and Jordan and Abby). We saved $500, so now my souvenir budget has a little more wiggle room. And the people on that POP thread are just so excited about going back to POP. I made my room request for one of the recommended quieter sections so we can get a little peace, maybe. I am going to start saving now, so we can stay deluxe on the next trip, but I am happy with this choice.

Thank you to everyone for weighing in on my debate and putting up with my indecisiveness. LOL

3 trips as a kid/teen-Offsite Dec 2011-Offsite Dec 2012-Pop Century Feb 2014-OKW Nov 2014-AoA Suite

Old 10-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #3443
M&MGirl1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Sorry!! I actually had to get some work done this morning. Crazy, right?!

Well thankfully, none of our choices are "that kind of motel". LOL

I think all four options were guessed by at least one person. Sorry Tofu, changing the roll call again. But this time I swear I am done.

So after discussing this with DH last night.... We decided CSR looked too much like the condo we stayed in last year--very nice, but not Disney at all. We could stay somewhere like that on a different vacation.
WL was still my first choice, but if I want DH to ever agree to go to Disney again, this vacation cannot be a budget buster. AKL was a little cheaper, but still too much and DH had little interest in that one.

So POP Century it is!!!!! I am excited to have the food court and to take pictures of all the giant icons. I want to walk across the bridge to see AoA (and Jordan and Abby). We saved $500, so now my souvenir budget has a little more wiggle room. And the people on that POP thread are just so excited about going back to POP. I made my room request for one of the recommended quieter sections so we can get a little peace, maybe. I am going to start saving now, so we can stay deluxe on the next trip, but I am happy with this choice.

Thank you to everyone for weighing in on my debate and putting up with my indecisiveness. LOL
You're actually doing WORK on a FRIDAY??? Are you insane??? Fridays are for slacking off and goofing around waiting for the weekend to start

I think you made a great choice! $500 is a LOT of extra spending money AND you'll be right next door when we're at AoA!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #3444
rubybpc
It's all about Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubeast

I bet they have CHARACTER meals!! The deluxe rooms might features vibrating beds! woot!

Hahah. Classic. 50 years? WOW Congrats!

Very red. I saw as she was approaching him. HE was so busy taking a pic, he didn't even notice till she was right in his face. I was chuckling pretty hard cuz I knew what was coming.
LoL!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #3445
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

Quote:

WHAT ?! That was a surprise! I never would have guessed you would go for Pop since you were talking about AKL and WL a lot! Are you sure this time? In any case, I'm glad you are happy with your choice.

We stayed at Pop back in 2006 and loved it. We had the 50's section and our room faced the parking lot. But it was kind of quiet. We even got to see some fireworks from HS.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
Old 10-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #3446
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&MGirl1 View Post
I think you made a great choice! $500 is a LOT of extra spending money AND you'll be right next door when we're at AoA!
I thought AoA is supposed to be a "value" resort? When I looked at the pricing for 2013, the cost was in the price range of a moderate.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #3447
rubybpc
It's all about Disney

Congrats mom2travel! 50 years is quite an accomplishment!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #3448
rubybpc
It's all about Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrkitn

I thought AoA is supposed to be a "value" resort? When I looked at the pricing for 2013, the cost was in the price range of a moderate.
I know! I looked into booking for our December trip for 6 BUT, it was cheaper to book 2 rooms at a moderate!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #3449
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Waaaaaaaa So I don't get a prize then

I think you've made a good choice - it was your first choice and its your first on-site stay so you're gonna love it. Save the deluxes for next time
Old 10-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #3450
Valgoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&MGirl1 View Post
You're actually doing WORK on a FRIDAY??? Are you insane??? Fridays are for slacking off and goofing around waiting for the weekend to start

Well this whole week has been spent thinking about Disney, so I figure I can give them an hour of my time.

Are you there when I am??? I should really pay more attention to that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrkitn View Post
WHAT ?! That was a surprise! I never would have guessed you would go for Pop since you were talking about AKL and WL a lot! Are you sure this time? In any case, I'm glad you are happy with your choice.

We stayed at Pop back in 2006 and loved it. We had the 50's section and our room faced the parking lot. But it was kind of quiet. We even got to see some fireworks from HS.
I know!! I talked about upgrading so much. It just didnt make sense for us. I am sure. I dont feel that crazy need to change anymore. The pieces just all fell into place last night. And I was able to keep my FD even though the offer is expired so that sealed the deal. I requested 50's lakeview.

3 trips as a kid/teen-Offsite Dec 2011-Offsite Dec 2012-Pop Century Feb 2014-OKW Nov 2014-AoA Suite

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: