Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
tylerandalexsmom
Seriously addicted to Disney

Christmas parade - day or night?

Planning our first DLR trip (many trips to WDW, but 1st DLR). Planning on doing the Holiday Time Tour ON Christmas Day so we will have the reserved seats for the parade. But debating which tour/parade to do. I know we will be across from the IASW, so it would be really cool to have it all lit up at night, but I love taking pictures, and daytime would probably be better pictures. We did the Christmas parade on Christmas Day at WDW last year, and loved the day time parade. We about roasted at WDW (it was 85 degrees on Christmas Day)! Don't really want to freeze at night, but the snow affect would probably be better at night. (Or am I confusing it with the fireworks?) I have started going through the Christmas superthread, but there's a LOT of info on there, and we have to start making dining reservations soon (actually, I'm used to WDW making dining reservations 6 months out!) Planning on dining at BB that day, so need to plan the tour/parade so I can make reservations. Which parade would you recommend and why? (and pictures to compare day/night would be great!)
MK Dec 1972 (me) WDW/All Star Movies May 2003 WDW/All Star Movies Apr 2007 WDW/NSSHP/Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate room!) Sept 2009 Polynesian/Dream Cruise/WDW/CBR Pirate room Oct 2011 WDW Christmas 2011

tylerandalexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerandalexsmom View Post
Planning our first DLR trip (many trips to WDW, but 1st DLR). Planning on doing the Holiday Time Tour ON Christmas Day so we will have the reserved seats for the parade. But debating which tour/parade to do. I know we will be across from the IASW, so it would be really cool to have it all lit up at night, but I love taking pictures, and daytime would probably be better pictures. We did the Christmas parade on Christmas Day at WDW last year, and loved the day time parade. We about roasted at WDW (it was 85 degrees on Christmas Day)! Don't really want to freeze at night, but the snow affect would probably be better at night. (Or am I confusing it with the fireworks?) I have started going through the Christmas superthread, but there's a LOT of info on there, and we have to start making dining reservations soon (actually, I'm used to WDW making dining reservations 6 months out!) Planning on dining at BB that day, so need to plan the tour/parade so I can make reservations. Which parade would you recommend and why? (and pictures to compare day/night would be great!)
I definitely prefer the night for all of the lights and there is usually enough lights from all of the decorations to allow for great pictures, even during the night time parade. I don't have any photos from that location though.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Night.....the lights are absolutely amazing. I have some pics that I can try to upload tonight.

aidensmom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
nicolispicoli
DIS Veteran

I agree, the night with IASW lit up, it's so beautiful! It makes the hot cocoa and cookie that much better too! Although, my hot cocoa was already lukewarm when I got it
nicolispicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT....its good for both day and night but it really turns magical when you see it at night because everything sparkles and lights and its just awesome!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
larina
DIS Veteran

Night, no question.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
marcemc
I wouldn't be able to handle such fluffliness either

Both!! Oh I love me a Christmas Parade but if you must choose, go to the night time one.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
tylerandalexsmom
Seriously addicted to Disney

Alrighty then..... sounds like nighttime it is! That may work better anyway, since I originally wanted to do BB for the first lunch time to have a better chance to get to a waterside table. Although I kind of thought the dinner menu sounded a little better, but that's ok, I'm sure we will find something to eat! Plus, I was kind of thinking -- we've already done a daytime Christmas parade, so since this is a new park for us, it would be nice to go for the night time parade for something different!!!!

If anyone else has any other input, would still love to hear it! And still would luv to see pictures!
MK Dec 1972 (me) WDW/All Star Movies May 2003 WDW/All Star Movies Apr 2007 WDW/NSSHP/Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate room!) Sept 2009 Polynesian/Dream Cruise/WDW/CBR Pirate room Oct 2011 WDW Christmas 2011

tylerandalexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:45 AM   #9
larina
DIS Veteran

If you play it right, you can sit here (I hope this works)
We were amazed nobody was already in this preferred area when we arrived last Christmas Day/Evening.

larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerandalexsmom View Post
You'll find people on both sides with this one. As for me, while at night, it is all pretty and lit up, with Fantasmic, World of Color and the Candlelight Processional to think of, I think I'd rather see the parade in the daylight so I don't miss the other things. Also, I can see the detail on the rides better in the daytime. Of course, depending upon how they work the Candlelight Processional, it may be a moot point.

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
jsebsirois
DIS Veteran

Totally agree with fellow posters : night!

There is sometime more magical about parades at night, with all the lights on!

This trip, I'm glad Mickey's Soundsational Parade is playing later in the day to have that lightning effect.

They should do this over at Disney World!

WDW : October/November 2013 (MNSSHP and MVMCP) March 2013, October 2011 (MNSSHP), November 2010 (MVMCP), October 2008, October 2006 (MNSSHP) and July 2005 DLR : October 2012 (MHP), July 2010 and September 2009
jsebsirois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
Jperiod
Princesses Gone Wild

It's great at night and pictures are doable if you pose yourself in an area with decent overhead lights.

As for snow and fireworks, I prefer Main Street because I like the visual effect of how they shoot off the fireworks around the castle plus when it snows on Main Street, it's absolutely covered (as if it's really snowing!). The kids' eyes light up! It's amazing to see all those little hands reaching up in wonder at the falling snow. Truly magical and brings tears to my eyes every single time I see it!

DLR in 1/97, 8/98, 12/98, 12/99, 12/00, 12/02, 12/03, 12/04, 12/05, 10/07, 12/07, 5/08, 12/08, 5/09, 12/09, 5/10, and 12/10.
WDW in 12/11 to satisfy our curiousity.
Back to DLR in 12/12, 2/13 (VGC ), 7/13 (2 day trips), 10/13, 12/13, and 12/14!
Jperiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
jsebsirois
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperiod View Post
Truly magical and brings tears to my eyes every single time I see it!
It also brings tears to my eyes when I see a lot of snow on the ground here in Canada, but not magical tears!

The effect is indeed spectacular on Main Street. If you can have a good spot, make sure you're there!

WDW : October/November 2013 (MNSSHP and MVMCP) March 2013, October 2011 (MNSSHP), November 2010 (MVMCP), October 2008, October 2006 (MNSSHP) and July 2005 DLR : October 2012 (MHP), July 2010 and September 2009
jsebsirois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
Jperiod
Princesses Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsebsirois View Post
It also brings tears to my eyes when I see a lot of snow on the ground here in Canada, but not magical tears!

The effect is indeed spectacular on Main Street. If you can have a good spot, make sure you're there!
I totally agree! While I love the magic of a soft snowfall, I don't like the cold or wet aftermath! That's why Disney snow is ideal!

DLR in 1/97, 8/98, 12/98, 12/99, 12/00, 12/02, 12/03, 12/04, 12/05, 10/07, 12/07, 5/08, 12/08, 5/09, 12/09, 5/10, and 12/10.
WDW in 12/11 to satisfy our curiousity.
Back to DLR in 12/12, 2/13 (VGC ), 7/13 (2 day trips), 10/13, 12/13, and 12/14!
Jperiod is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: