Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

You certainly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADisneyQueen View Post
My girls are 6th grade cadettes. After the boring journey last year, we will not do another. We are doing just reg. badges from the book plus some of the badges you can buy from the journey book. The little badge books are $4. We are also doing more service projects and field trips that may not have anything to do with a badge. We will try to get a fun patch for these. We only meet twice a month for meetings and one other day a month for a trip/project.

We have just started the new cuisine badge and next will do first aid. There is also a patch for helping younger girl troops but I can't remember what it is called.

I guess we won't be doing any of the silver/gold awards b/c of journeys but also b/c my girls do a lot of other activities and can't commit to all the work for them. Don't feel like you have to do a journey and a silver award. There are a lot of troops that aren't doing these.

don't have to do the awards, but the girls in my troop are the opposite. They want to give up badges/trips/etc. and only focus on their awards. It will look good on college apps. and they can apply for scholarships through GS. The Journeys are what you make them. You don't have to do each activity the way it is mapped out. You can tweak some things to make it more interesting.

Good luck! They sure didn't make it easy with all these new ideas. Very frustrating.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #17
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

I was the anti-girl scout leader. I NEEDED to do the Media journey with my girls. I had 15 6th and 8th graders. The crap they were posting on line scared the holy hell out of me. So I used my knowledge from my current job to scare the holy hell out of them in regards to internet safety. So I did most of the stuff and then went off my own plan because I do not believe it truly covers enough about it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
marlynnp
No take backs, bowing out or other weenie manuevers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsDragonflies View Post
The Journeys suck. They are a big time suck and a waste of money, a ruse cooked up by the GSUSA to make everyone buy stinking books.

They are boring, they are redundant and they are a PITA. Our girls hate them. So do I.

Best of luck.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

'tis better to remain silent and appear a fool; than to speak and remove all doubt.
marlynnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #19
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

well we are done with the MEdia, and it was by fffaaarrrrrrr better than the aMaze !

They did a great job on their MEdia re-make. We did end up have 2 sleep-ins to get more sessions done in a shorter amout of time.

I've been seaching blog and forums trying to map out an idea for how to deal with the Breathe. After doing the sleep-ins for the MEdia, it's def the way to go.

One thing I've noticed from the blogs is the wide variation of how people intreperit the sessions or requirements for the award compotents.

I think some of the hard part, is that it's so open for intrepertation that there is such a wide margin to achieve.

As far as girl led, it really seems like we're working backwards. There is no way in the world the girls can pick the different choices or work it out, unless they go threw and read the whole dang thing, make all the choices, gather the materials, organize, and then go back and do it all over again !

And yes, i couldn't agree more than this is a BIG FAT ruse to buy all these new books, and inserts, and journeys, now some of the younger levels have the add skinny journey-like books.

I personally, dont think they are going to add any more. Because when they released the new handbook/badge book, the format of the program can only support upto 3 journeys. On the other hand, how long do they think they can push the journeys until they have to come up with a totally new format again.

If it aint broke, don't fix it !
Old 10-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #20
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

So very true that the Journeys are moving backwards in the "girl led" department. The best we have been able to do there, other than having them choose which Journey to work on, is having girls who have already completed a journey then go back and lead some or all of it for others in their troop or a lower level troop.

MEdia is the best of 6 Journeys I have worked with (Cadette and Senior) BY FAR. It was really the only one I felt was truly worthwhile--though it was a stretch to come up with a true "service" project as a media remake. Our girls had a lot of fun and made PSA kinds of things (one troop did a "real fashions for real girls on real budgets fashion show at the middle school and one did a video to True Colors showing real girls getting ready for a dance in clothes they would really wear), they just did not feel like they were being very helpful.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 AM   #21
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

We had found a Brownie troop to do the LIA with, but it may not work out after-all.

We met with the Brownie leader in late summer, planned out a schedule, and decided on the activities.

The brownies are working in the WOW (same It's your story- Tell It Series) And her girls are already getting too bored, and losing interest on the 2nd week. We aren't supposed to meet with them for the 1st time until another 3 weeks from now. She said she's not sure if they are going to keep working on it, or if they are just going to drop it.

I don't blame her. I wouldn't want to hold it over my troops head for 5 meetings working on something they don't like & aren't interested in.

She said her girls were none too pleased when they found out they are supposed to plan a skit/play for the end of the book for their own It's your story- tell it

And yes, ! So much of it now is make-believe, or make a list, or blah blah blah. It's like everything can just be made up in their heads. Where is the hands on experience ? ( I mean WE add them in) Where is the go and see it ? The out into the world-ness ? So much of it is just fictional make believe, such as make a list about x,y,z. Not go see X, Y or Z, invite X,Y,Z to your meeting, make up 10 questions and interview x,y,z, etc or "think about "
Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #22
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

We've not started our Journey yet, but will be doing MEdia. Agree with all that has been said about these not being girl-led, huge step backwards. The girls do not want to do these things. It is too much like school work. They have enough of that! I have yet to meet a leader or scout who likes them. Throw in that our council has done NOTHING to help leaders learn to get through them. I have asked repeatedly with no response.

Most of my girls did Bronze last year, but I prebought the old badges and we slipped under the deadline to do with the old program. They are all chomping at the bit to do Silver this year, so trying to psych myself up to do a Journey with them.

I've been reading alot on the GSJourneys yahoo group. (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GSJour...guid=305227639)
We're going to do MEdia. We're planning to do most of it in two all day Saturdays. There are plans on the group (or google) for doing it and other Journeys in a weekend, but I thought two Saturdays with a break in between would work better for us.

First day plan is to get through the first section, through brainstorming for the media remake. Based on what they decide to do for that (print, video, radio...), we'll have a field trip or two. (Eg to a TV station or the newspaper. I'm going to try to get them something above the standard "this is how we print the paper" or "this is how we make the map behind the weather man" tour to talk to some writers or cameramen.) Some of the girls want to do Digital Movie Maker badge, we may do that in between.

Second Saturday will be filming the new ad or drawing up the ad or whatever as well as planning how they will share it.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #23
Chocolab23
Disney Dreaming

I am now a Senior Girl Scout, but I earned all three of the Cadette journeys. We earned one as a troop and I did the other two on my own. I think that it took a lot of commitment and time but it was fun along the way. We went on a lot of day trips that year and we would often work a part or two while on those trips until we had earned the whole thing. I say work hard and keep with it, and it will all pay off.
2013-Going to celebrate my birthday the best way!-PORLet your Hart be your guide/January 2013 PTR
2013-Alex's Unbirthday trip-POR"A Very Merry Unbirthday!" DEC 2013 PTR
Chocolab23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: