Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #91
roblab
Earning My Ears

Good Day all,

We'll be joining the Disney Magic for the Aug 31 med sailing. Joining us will be my lovely wife (Lorna), our daughter Shannon (9 on the cruise) and my younger sister(Shayna)

This will be our first cruise - and our daughter's first trip to Europe. Really looking forward to it. Given the large sunk cost of airfare and the cruse we'll probably spend a few days in Spain pre cruise to recover from jetlag and see the BCN area well (perhaps even a day or two in Madrid)

We're just now figuring that out and planning what we're going to do onshore at the various ports - always up for ideas - might make sense if we can get a smaller group together with similar interests for some DIY shore excursion fun.

Sometimes the planning is as much fun as the trip

Rob.

Last edited by roblab; 10-05-2012 at 11:05 AM.
roblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #92
roblab
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Mel View Post
If anyone would like to organise any of the above or has something they would like to add to the list just let me know
Not sure how much help I'll be given I'm very new to the whole Disney Cruise thing and the DISboards - but I'm game to pitch in wherever.

any good newbie threads that you'd recommend?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #93
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblab View Post
Good Day all,

We'll be joining the Disney Magic for the Aug 31 med sailing. Joining us will be my lovely wife (Lorna), our daughter Shannon (9 on the cruise) and my younger sister(Shayna)

This will be our first cruise - and our daughter's first trip to Europe. Really looking forward to it. Given the large sunk cost of airfare and the cruse we'll probably spend a few days in Spain pre cruise to recover from jetlag and see the BCN area well (perhaps even a day or two in Madrid)

We're just now figuring that out and planning what we're going to do onshore at the various ports - always up for ideas - might make sense if we can get a smaller group together with similar interests for some DIY shore excursion fun.

Rob.
Hello! Yes, I agree that the planning is as much fun as the trip. Welcome aboard!

debsters41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #94
Florida Mel
Ready to sail on Disney Magic with Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsters41 View Post
Count us in for 3!
I'd be more than happy to organise I've added you all to the list

Oct 2000 - 2 Weeks Villa Sunset lakes Jun 2002 - Disneyland Paris - Newport Bay Hotel Oct 2003 - 2 Weeks Villa Formosa Gardens Oct 2004 - 4 days Condo @ Clearwater 10 days villa @ Formosa Gardens Oct 2007 - 4 days Cocoa Beach & 12 days Villa Sunset Lakes July 2009 - St Augustine & WDW Yacht Club Feb 2010 - DLRP Newport Bay Hotel July 2010 - Our 1st Disney Cruise - Dover to Barcelona on Disney Magic August 2011 - Our 2nd Disney Cruise - 7 night Med on the Magic August 2012 - DLP 3 nights Dream Castle August 2013 - Jumped ship and we are Florida bound February 2014 - Back to WDW for mums BIG 60th September 2014 - WBTA and the BIG WEDDING - COMING UP
Florida Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #95
Florida Mel

Talking Welcome onboard

Welcome onboard Rob (Roblab), Lorna, daughter Shannon and younger sister Shayna

How exciting your first Disney cruise and trip to Europe, you guys are going to have a ball. Happy planning

Quote:
Good Day all,

Rob.

Oct 2000 - 2 Weeks Villa Sunset lakes Jun 2002 - Disneyland Paris - Newport Bay Hotel Oct 2003 - 2 Weeks Villa Formosa Gardens Oct 2004 - 4 days Condo @ Clearwater 10 days villa @ Formosa Gardens Oct 2007 - 4 days Cocoa Beach & 12 days Villa Sunset Lakes July 2009 - St Augustine & WDW Yacht Club Feb 2010 - DLRP Newport Bay Hotel July 2010 - Our 1st Disney Cruise - Dover to Barcelona on Disney Magic August 2011 - Our 2nd Disney Cruise - 7 night Med on the Magic August 2012 - DLP 3 nights Dream Castle August 2013 - Jumped ship and we are Florida bound February 2014 - Back to WDW for mums BIG 60th September 2014 - WBTA and the BIG WEDDING - COMING UP

Last edited by Florida Mel; 10-06-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:46 AM   #96
Florida Mel

Quote:
Not sure how much help I'll be given I'm very new to the whole Disney Cruise thing and the DISboards - but I'm game to pitch in wherever.

any good newbie threads that you'd recommend?
Many start by having a read of some of the trip reports from last years Med cruise Here's one to get you started 2011 Disney Magic Med Cruise

Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #97
Tod&Copper
DIS Veteran

We would be interested in mixology, we did it last year on the transatlantic cruise and it was great fun. One small tip, make sure it's later in the afternoon so it doesn't clash with anyone's palo brunch ressies in the 2 sea days

DVC Member since 2000 - VWL AKV BLT
Platinum Castaway Club Member

14 Magical Sailings completed - 5 more to look forward to

WBTA 2010 / WBTA 2011 / EBTA 2014 / WBTA 2014 / EBTA 2015
7 Night New Year Cruise Disney Magic 2014
7 Night Dover to Barcelona repo Disney Magic 3rd August 2015
EBPC October 2015
Tod&Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #98
Florida Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod&Copper View Post
We would be interested in mixology, we did it last year on the transatlantic cruise and it was great fun. One small tip, make sure it's later in the afternoon so it doesn't clash with anyone's palo brunch ressies in the 2 sea days
I've arranged 2 and always make sure there is no clash with Palo brunch, wouldn't miss that for the world

Old 10-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #99
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Mel View Post
I've arranged 2 and always make sure there is no clash with Palo brunch, wouldn't miss that for the world
I Palo brunch

Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #100
cntclark
Earning My Ears

Flights

Hey guys! we are joining the cruise with our inlaws and dd (3) this is our 2nd disney cruise. First on Magic. So here is my question, has anyone else been looking at flights? Ive seen some on aircanada getting in at 7am the day of the cruise. I wasnt planning to come in a day early as work schedule conflicts. Has anyone else gone on a europe cruise and arrived same day? What about airlines, which ones are reputable which ones avoid?
cntclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #101
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntclark
Hey guys! we are joining the cruise with our inlaws and dd (3) this is our 2nd disney cruise. First on Magic. So here is my question, has anyone else been looking at flights? Ive seen some on aircanada getting in at 7am the day of the cruise. I wasnt planning to come in a day early as work schedule conflicts. Has anyone else gone on a europe cruise and arrived same day? What about airlines, which ones are reputable which ones avoid?
Welcome aboard! I would say a majority of people arrive on the same day and make it just fine. However, I have known a few people whose flights have been delayed and they have missed their cruise.
The reality is that all the airlines are reputable or they wouldn't stay in business. That being said, Delta does have a special relationship with Disney and the transfer of information AND luggage is easier.
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #102
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Hello and welcome Cntclark! If I were flying in day of over a transatlantic, I would take a closer look at travel insurance. That being said, a 7 am arrival, even with a delay of a few hours, should still get you there in plenty of time. Is it a direct flight? If so, even less risk.

Glad to have you join us!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #103
roblab
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntclark View Post
I'm a rookie at cruising, but flights to Europe - that is something I do way too much for work - happy to help there. Where are you starting from?

The Air Canada direct Toronto -> Barcelona will get you in with buckets of time to spare - and will probably be the flight we use going out to Barcelona. Will not be the routing we use coming home though, we'll take a connection through Frankfurt or Munich most likely. Reason is that Air Canada uses one of the 3 older 767s on that route - so no personal tvs to keep you occupied on the flight (not an issue going east as I'll be trying to sleep). There is a chance this might change as the new 787s are starting to come on stream now, and they will be retiring the 767s as they do.

Assuming you're coming from Canada, United will have code share flights as will US Air. However United hasn't released their full schedule yet. The only other direct option from Canada is Air Transat. They'll be your cheapest option, but will only fly 1-2 days a week, so might not work for your desire to get there cruise day. I haven't looked into it since I have more than enough points for our tickets on Air Canada. The only advice in general is to book with an eye to risk. ie, make sure no matter what you make the boat - so book long (2.5 hour or more) connections if direct isn't possible and you should be fine.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #104
Florida Mel

Talking Welcome onboard

Welcome onboard cntclark family and inlaws

I see you've received lots of help with your flight question already, there's a wealth of knowledge on the cruise I can just feel it

Quote:

Old 10-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #105
Florida Mel

Question

Quote:
I'm keeping a role call on the front page of this thread and wondered how many are in your party? We have a Facebook page too: Our Facebook Page

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: