DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

Spring Break - resort choices?

Some family members are trying to talk us into doing a spring break trip next year. I've never tried to book for spring break, nor have I tried to go during spring break, so I have a few quick questions.

The first isn't really DVC related. Just how busy are the parks during spring break (for Texas, if it matters)? We've never gone during spring break, so I have no idea what to expect. We usually pull the kids out of school, and may yet decide to, but we're being pushed to go during spring break right now.

Obviously, since this just came up, we don't have anything booked, and we're well inside our booking windows. I assume we're going to have to waitlist just about anything... so what would people suggest as a good choice for a party (including a toddler) who will be looking for a 2 bedroom? Which waitlists are most likely to come through?

Are all resorts likely to be pretty crowded and running with very full buses? We'll have a 2 year old with us, so this becomes a major factor for us.

Is spring break one of the pool hopping blackout dates? We'd really like to have access to either a good water play area or zero entry pool.

Any advice would be appreciated.

(me) (DH) (DS 8) (DD 3) (4 cats) (52 fish) (and a frog)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Goofy's apprentice
DIS Veteran

It all depends on when your spring break is. Ours is usually the second or third week in March. It is always very busy both in the resorts and in the parks. If you spring break is near Easter it will be even more busy.

Having said that, we have gone a few times as some of our relatives are teachers. We managed to get non-home resort reservations in Wilderness Lodge, BLT and BWV...even boardwalk views! Despite the crowds, we planned to hit the parks early in the day and had great vacations!
2006 Apr-BWV, OKW --- Nov-BWV, OKW
2007 Mar-SSR --May OKW/SSR --Oct - SSMC07
2008 Feb - SSR/VWL ---Apr - Vero/SSR --- Nov - BWV
2009 Mar-VWL/SSR ---Oct - BWV/BLT
2010 Mar - BWV/THV --- Oct - SSR (for WWOHP !!!)
2011 Apr - BWV/SSR --- Oct - SSR/BWV
2012 Mar - BWV/BLT --- Oct - BWV
Goofy's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Here are the black out times for pool hopping for 2012.
Quote:
2012 Blockout Dates
•February 19 - 25 (Sunday - Saturday)
•March 31 - April 14 (Saturday - Saturday)
•May 25 - 28 (Friday – Monday)
•June 29 - July 7 (Friday - Saturday)
•August 31 - Sept 3 (Friday - Monday)
•November 19 - 25 (Monday - Sunday)
•Dec 16, 2012 - Jan. 5, 2013 (Sunday - Saturday)
So around Easter, it is blacked out.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
drusba

DIS Veteran

"Spring Break" is a term that applies to any weeks between early March and about the third week of April because schools vary as to when they actually take breaks. You do not provide which week you are referring to. I am assuming you mean Easter week or the week immediately leading up to Easter. If so, the park crowds will be the second highest of the year, next to Christmas week. You have very late park hours but even so, you get sustained 90 minute to 120 minute standby lines at popular rides beginning by about 10 in the morning and lasting all day and evening, with Soarin and Test Track going to 3 hour standbys. Street crowds at MK are stifling and it gets hard to move around during the afternoon. Fast Passes run out for the entire day and evening by about noon. If you want to eat in a buffet or table service restaurant, you need to make reservations well in advance. Busses are usually full during any rush times, early morning and park closing.

As to what might. be available now, I have not checked but most likely SSR is and potentially AKV and OKW.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

Our spring break is always the last week in March. We went last year and loved it. It was busy, but not too bad, and the weather was good - except for two bad rain days. We would have done it again this year, but Easter falls that week, so the crowds will be crazier and the points were the highest. We do plan on going in 2014 that week. I think your best chance of a WL would be SSR or OKW.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
jel0511
DIS Veteran

We've been to WDW the last 6 Spring Breaks for us 7 is on tap, which is always the week before Easter. Yes it's crowded, but the weather is awesome and even with the crowds prefer this to Summer, even though the points are high. We're going for 10 nights next year, so hopefully we don't feel like we don't get to see a lot. We'll be at VWL, which in a 2 br is basically sold out. I check on occasion, as our flight doesn't arrive until 10:30pm, and am worried about getting a horrible room, as we'll be the last checking in. Of course, now our first night is unavailable, meaning a horrible room. I did put in my requests and hope my room gets blocked off, but arriving at midnight will lower my chances of getting my requests met I think. DH doesn't want to move, hence why we're using points for that night. My point in this long diatribe, is that since I check regularly, for the 10 nights we're there 3/22 - 4/1 currently SSR and OKW have availability in a 2 br, they pop us as alternatives to my WVL dates since most aren't available. YMMV......
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

Sorry I didn't specify the actual dates - Mar 9 - 16. I really hate large crowds at WDW, and have always tried to avoid them. It looks like I can find a room at AKV - Kidani, which would be fine for us, but would not please the family member pushing for spring break. To my amusement, while explaining to her that crowds would be high didn't phase her, telling her that it would have to be AKV has her thinking maybe spring break isn't such a good idea.

So maybe we'll look at February or April.

I'd be tempted to book BCV, but can you swim in early February? I suspect it would mostly be too cold, wouldn't it?

Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Goofy's apprentice
DIS Veteran

That week is similar to the one we usually have. It will be busy. We find if we head to the parks early and head to the resort for swimming in the afternoon...then back again at night...we manage ok. Otherwise, the crowds drive us crazy. As well, since we like to at off property, everything else is busy as well.

The weather is also not as good as it would be in April.

For us, we don't choose it as a time to go, but if friends or family have no other option we do go then.
2006 Apr-BWV, OKW --- Nov-BWV, OKW
2007 Mar-SSR --May OKW/SSR --Oct - SSMC07
2008 Feb - SSR/VWL ---Apr - Vero/SSR --- Nov - BWV
2009 Mar-VWL/SSR ---Oct - BWV/BLT
2010 Mar - BWV/THV --- Oct - SSR (for WWOHP !!!)
2011 Apr - BWV/SSR --- Oct - SSR/BWV
2012 Mar - BWV/BLT --- Oct - BWV
Goofy's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
bwang123

Went went during Texas Spring Break this year and found the crowds very managable. Going at rope drop everyday and utilizing fast passes we never waited more than 25min for a ride. The parks did get a litte crowded around 1to4pm but we mostly left and came back after a break. Flower and garden is at epcot, the weather is amazing and we would go back during this time.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
drusba

DIS Veteran

Your spring break is the week before the two Easter weeks. That makes a huge difference from the description I gave above. Yes, it will be crowded but nothing near what the Easter weeks are. You can easily survive that week although you still need to make your dinner ressies well in advance. I am not sure of the aversion to AKV Kidani because it is very nice and its 2BR is 100 sq ft larger than what you would get at SSR, BWV, VWL or BCV and has three bathrooms.

Whether you can hit the pool in February just depends. You can get days in the 80s in early February and days in the low 50s and sometimes those are consecutive days. In any event, you probably have an above average chance of it being just a tad bit cool for the pool most days (some can do pools when it is only 70 to 72 some can't)
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Been many spring breaks and ours were always the first week of April-just a great week every time. Esp the weather-its always been perfect. Would think early March would also be great weather but have not gone then.

Have been a lot so hanging at the pool has been a priority. We either stay all week at BCV for SAB-or split with BLT to get some MK action. Parks have been busy, but walking to EPCOT or DHS (and MK from BLT) has made planning much easier for taking breaks with FP's in hand and avoiding wastefull bus waiting/riding etc.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
Your spring break is the week before the two Easter weeks. That makes a huge difference from the description I gave above. Yes, it will be crowded but nothing near what the Easter weeks are. You can easily survive that week although you still need to make your dinner ressies well in advance. I am not sure of the aversion to AKV Kidani because it is very nice and its 2BR is 100 sq ft larger than what you would get at SSR, BWV, VWL or BCV and has three bathrooms.

Whether you can hit the pool in February just depends. You can get days in the 80s in early February and days in the low 50s and sometimes those are consecutive days. In any event, you probably have an above average chance of it being just a tad bit cool for the pool most days (some can do pools when it is only 70 to 72 some can't)
I think we're leaning toward April because of the weather worries now. Being able to swim is very important to some of our party. Our January trip a few years ago is the only one we weren't able to swim on any day of, and we really don't want to repeat that.

We love AKV, and are planning to do a split stay there (before the family members in question show up.) The family members coming with us do not love it, and feel like it is too far from everything. They've now made it clear that they just want to be at BCV or BWV, so they can walk to Epcot.

I've grabbed a room at BWV for the part of the vacation they're likely to be there for, if we do the April date.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #13
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Rose View Post
I think we're leaning toward April because of the weather worries now. Being able to swim is very important to some of our party. Our January trip a few years ago is the only one we weren't able to swim on any day of, and we really don't want to repeat that.

We love AKV, and are planning to do a split stay there (before the family members in question show up.) The family members coming with us do not love it, and feel like it is too far from everything. They've now made it clear that they just want to be at BCV or BWV, so they can walk to Epcot.

I've grabbed a room at BWV for the part of the vacation they're likely to be there for, if we do the April date.
When we were on the quarter system, our spring break was always a week that included March 19th. We did not always have good swimming weather, so I do think that April is better if you want to swim!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: