Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
maslex
DIS Veteran

What to do with leftover bar soap?

You know after taking so many showers and you end up with little slivers of soap left? Wasn't there a thing way back when that you could put those slivers of soap into and it made like hand soap or something like that?

We are not body wash kind of people. We like the traditional bar of soap, so with a family of four we end up with a lot of extra soap that you can't really use once you get down to the last little bit of the bar. I'd like to be able to use it up somehow instead of just throwing it away.

Any ideas?
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

We use them at camp, but I guess you could really do it anywhere you want to.

We use a handful of those lil slivers, we get a pack of 99 cent, knee high panty hose, put the slivers down in the toe and tie a knot at the ankle.

Then we wrap and tie the "leg" portion around the sink faucet. It keeps the soap at the sink, the soap dosen't sit in the sink and get soft, the panty hose makes it work up a nice lather, and then because it hangs from a faucet, it dries between uses.

I guess you could pretty much do the same thing in the shower. It would be a like a luffa with built in soap !

Shanna-like-Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Zerosinthecloset
DIS Veteran

At a certain size, I just stick the sliver to a new bar of soap. Never have to throw it away. It's quite easy with Dial soap.
Zerosinthecloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

I just pitch it.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
travelbug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post
You know after taking so many showers and you end up with little slivers of soap left? Wasn't there a thing way back when that you could put those slivers of soap into and it made like hand soap or something like that?

We are not body wash kind of people. We like the traditional bar of soap, so with a family of four we end up with a lot of extra soap that you can't really use once you get down to the last little bit of the bar. I'd like to be able to use it up somehow instead of just throwing it away.

Any ideas?
Yes, years ago I bought a soap dispenser from the Miles Kimball catalog. It has beads inside that turn soap slivers and water into nice liquid soap. I've used it for years. Don't know if they still sell that, but maybe you could poke around on the Miles Kimball website.
2005 - Feb.-BCV & POFQ; Mar.-BWV & SSR
2006 - Feb.-BWV & ASMo; Apr.-BCV; Nov.-BCV
2007 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Grand Cayman (DVC pts.)
2008 - Jan.-BCV; Dec.-BWV; 2009 - Apr.-SSR
2010 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Cabo San Lucas (DVC pts.), Dec.-BWV
2012 - Feb.-AKV; Apr.-BWV; Dec.-BWV & BCV
2013 - June-Aulani; 2014 - Jan.-BWV
2015 - Jan.-BCV & BWV
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerosinthecloset View Post
At a certain size, I just stick the sliver to a new bar of soap. Never have to throw it away. It's quite easy with Dial soap.
Its quite easy with any soap
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
At a certain size, I just stick the sliver to a new bar of soap. Never have to throw it away.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This morning, a fairly new bar of soap is sitting in the shower with a lumpy middle on both sides, old slivers stuck to it. One side was down a bit so I stuck another sliver on it. I thought just this morning, wonder if anyone else does this?

The bars get used up in the middle more rapidly, and thus when it is small enough, it breaks in half. Adding the old half pieces to the newer bar keeps the middle built up so they don't break in half.

The only problem with this is..... The 8 year old likes to pick at things and she picks at the soap I am trying to "melt" into the newer bar of soap, LOL.

I was having a huge problem early on when my eyes were screaming in burning pain when I put my contacts in after washing my hands in the morning. It was the liquid soap I was using. Now I keep one of these broken half bars at the sink to use for pre-contact-eye-puttin-in hand washing.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
exactly what we do. It is still good soap and doesn't take much before it is just part of the new soap no matter what soap you are using.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

My loofa has a little place to put soap inside so I do that. I still use a body wash in conjunction with the left overs because I like to "rinse clean".
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
nmmom95
I'm a pregnant lesbian in an interracial relationship
Or am I?

I just throw it away.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

We use a mesh soap saver! Got ours at Walmart but these are actually a much better price $4.97 for 4 of them, I paid $3 for 1! They work great and we just hang them up ion the shower, plus then soap doesn;t get mushy
http://www.amazon.com/Aquasentials-E...ef=pd_sim_bt_1

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Throw it away.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
marthachick
DIS Veteran

I'm sure if you look on Pinterest you could find 5,986 ways to use it up!

Seriously we mostly use body wash & liquid soap but if we do have bar soap, we just toss it when it gets too small.

Offsite May 1984
Offsite January 1990
All Star Sports October 2005
POP Century December 2013
marthachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
lucas
°o°

Quote:
That's what I do.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: