Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #3256
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

Re: the Running in the dark post... WOW I am glad you lived to tell the story, but what a scary experience. Thanks for that post.

Stay safe everyone. There are a lot of reasons running in the dark can be dangerous...

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 10-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #3257
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym
This is my first post in a few years.

I started running about six years ago with W.I.S.H. and have run off and on, and have completed about a dozen half marathons since then. My first race ever was the Disney World half marathon in 2007. I've never been really fast. And that's been fine with me. My half marathon PR is 2:18, although most of my Disney races were around 2:50.

I ran the San Jose Rock 'n' Roll half marathon on Sunday with run/walk intervals averaging 11:58/mi and finished in 2:35.

I'm planning on traveling solo to run the full in January. This will be my first full marathon. I'll be turning 40 later that month and running a marathon is on my turning 40 bucket list, and, well, the medal looks awesome. So here I am.

I'm still pretty intimidated about the full marathon distance and especially the idea of running five to six hours. I expect that I'll be able to improve my pace with some speed work and losing some weight through the training, but I really don't have a lot of time during the week to work out.

I've mostly been following the Galloway plan "to finish" posted on the runDisney web site. So far good, although up until now hasn't gone beyond the half marathon distance.

Anyway I just wanted to reintroduce myself and say that I'm looking to seeing everyone in January :-)

chris
Hey Chris. I turn 40 two weeks prior and 'shocker' it's also on my bucket list. It will be my first full and have only run two halfs. I figure I'll be at least six hours maybe a lil more for the full. We can do this. It's one and done for me.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #3258
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams91

Hey Chris. I turn 40 two weeks prior and 'shocker' it's also on my bucket list. It will be my first full and have only run two halfs. I figure I'll be at least six hours maybe a lil more for the full. We cccmif

an do this. It's one and done for me.
Bucket list... Guilty here as well.

Yet mine is more involved. Mine is not just to run a marathon, but specifically Boston. Not just run it, but qualify and do it the real way. Charity spots don't count. So Disney full is just one step of a larger goal.

I did allow for one exception. Kona.

Both most likely will never happen. Yet, January will. It's all about having a goal and something to look forward to.

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
Old 10-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #3259
kimmiepcft
Kimmiep

Bucket Lister here as well! I wanted to run a marathon before I turned 40, and I turn 40 in April, so I will just be squeaking by, lol
Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #3260
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Add me to the 40 year olds and bucket listers. I'll turn 40 in December.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #3261
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal
I would like to introduce dh and myself - Doofus and Sleezy Chuckledoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepcft View Post
Bucket Lister here as well! I wanted to run a marathon before I turned 40, and I turn 40 in April, so I will just be squeaking by, lol
Another bucket lister for 40 as well - I turn 40 on October 23 - just ran my first marathon on October 7 and will run my second and last in January at disney and then am retiring from marathons and going back to 1/2's. But I figured I ran the 15th anniversary of the disney 1/2, just ran the 30th anniversary of the Mohawk Hudson Marathon this week and now the 20th anniversary of the disney marathon in january. Maybe I should get snobby and refuse to run any races unless they are special anniversary ones!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #3262
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst View Post
Bucket list... Guilty here as well.

Yet mine is more involved. Mine is not just to run a marathon, but specifically Boston. Not just run it, but qualify and do it the real way. Charity spots don't count. So Disney full is just one step of a larger goal.

I did allow for one exception. Kona.

Both most likely will never happen. Yet, January will. It's all about having a goal and something to look forward to.
Never say never! As long as you have that goal, then it's a possibility. I started running at age 49 and "never" was going to run a marathon. Never thought I could. But I finally realized, as I built up my training, that I "just might" be able to do it. And after I finally committed to it, I was able to do it. And then after saying " one and done", I realized that I was close to BQ so why not give it a shot. And I did. And I ran Boston. So if a 52 yr old can do it, then you certainly may be able to!

Of course, everything went downhill after Boston (18 months and counting of cervical disc issues, strained hip flexors, stress fracture, bike accident), but hey--I guess that's life

And I am now thinking that a 1/2 IM next year "just may be possible".

Maura
Old 10-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #3263
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Never say never! As long as you have that goal, then it's a possibility. I started running at age 49 and "never" was going to run a marathon. Never thought I could. But I finally realized, as I built up my training, that I "just might" be able to do it. And after I finally committed to it, I was able to do it. And then after saying " one and done", I realized that I was close to BQ so why not give it a shot. And I did. And I ran Boston. So if a 52 yr old can do it, then you certainly may be able to!

Of course, everything went downhill after Boston (18 months and counting of cervical disc issues, strained hip flexors, stress fracture, bike accident), but hey--I guess that's life

And I am now thinking that a 1/2 IM next year "just may be possible".

Maura
I've been thinking about doing a 1/2 IM and didn't know if I would cross it off the bucket list because of time, life, etc., but you give me hope!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #3264
kimmiepcft
Kimmiep

We might have to all meet up for a Bucket Lister photo lol
Old 10-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #3265
RENThead09
DIS Veteran

Did the marathon 2 years ago for my 40th. Said I would NEVER do one again. Training to cross the Goofy off my bucket list now. Hahaha. Thank you Jeff Galloway. Couldn't do this without ya. First you run, then you walk. Do the Galloway.

Upcoming Races...
Nov 2014 Avengers Half Marathon
Jan 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon
Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #3266
dreams91
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepcft
We might have to all meet up for a Bucket Lister photo lol
We should! Sounds like there are enough of us!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #3267
dreams91
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENThead09
Did the marathon 2 years ago for my 40th. Said I would NEVER do one again. Training to cross the Goofy off my bucket list now. Hahaha. Thank you Jeff Galloway. Couldn't do this without ya. First you run, then you walk. Do the Galloway.
Oiy.... I was hoping I wouldn't think that, but gosh, I can totally see that.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #3268
Mickey'sfriend
DIS Veteran

Marathon bucket lister here, too. However, I am a bit over 40. (just a bit)When I was training for my first 1/2 last year I said I would never do a full. I finished the Princess this year and felt so good, I immediately set my sights on doing the full, but as of right now, this is a once and done.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #3269
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

I thought I would be a 'one and done' too, but at 52yrs old, I am training for Goofy and two more marathons next year.

I might need an intervention!
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #3270
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by regul8ter18 View Post
we are starting to get into the same situation about need some light. Has anyone used the running lights that goes on you knuckles?
Another unsolicited word of advice: if you wear a headlamp over a brimmed hat, make sure you know your course well. A few years ago I was running in the the dark and rain and had a head lamp on over my running hat. I would tilt the brim down to block the oncoming car lights so I could still see the ground and not get blinded. That worked fine until all the sudden . . . BLAM . . . my head snapped back and I almost hit the ground. There was a 5'11" tree branch that caught my 6'1" head. The only injury was a slightly strained ab muscle. I thought about telling the home owners to cut the branch as it was a hazard. But, I think they must have seen me bonk because the branch was gone the next week.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: