Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
skullsplitter
Mouseketeer

American Pavillion and the Election

Over in a now closed thread a person from the UK was asking how the election works in the US. I think this is an excellent opportunity to educate people from outside the US and even our younger US residents.

Have some sort of temporary exhibit at the American pavillion in Epcot explaining the basics of our process. Of course it needs to be kept totally non-partisan. No mention of Dems, Repubs, Libertarians, etc. Have Mickey, Donald, and Goofy running against each other or something.
skullsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

I've lived here for nearly 9 years and I STILL don't understand how the election works - ours is much more straightforward and shorter
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullsplitter View Post
Over in a now closed thread a person from the UK was asking how the election works in the US. I think this is an excellent opportunity to educate people from outside the US and even our younger US residents.

Have some sort of temporary exhibit at the American pavillion in Epcot explaining the basics of our process. Of course it needs to be kept totally non-partisan. No mention of Dems, Repubs, Libertarians, etc. Have Mickey, Donald, and Goofy running against each other or something.
That is an awesome idea. Mickey and Donald have been fighting since well ever! Each character could make political ads that can be viewed somewhere and then everyone could vote. That would be fun!

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I come to WDW to escape the real world, not to be reminded of it. Politics and Disney don't (or shouldn't) mix. Just my opinion.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, and Newly Ordained.

Quote:
. . . Have some sort of temporary exhibit at the American pavillion in Epcot explaining the basics of our process . . .

1) How can you have an exhibit of
. . . pollsters
. . . political consultants
. . . half-truths
2) I guess you can just have a BIG pile of money, instead.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Do a Google search for "Pooh for President". Disney tried to do a fun, Disney-centric, "how an election works" thing that didn't bring in parties or politics. It was cute as heck, but provided no real information about how the US political system works. There's simply no "easy" way to explain it.

And, frankly ... if someone wants to know, there are plenty of sites, books, pamphlets, movies, documentaries and YouTube videos out there that will explain the electoral college and the political process. I'm not sure that the parks need to be dipping their toes in that water!

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
kathie859
DIS Veteran

As much as I love the idea of a mock election between characters--the election process is so complicated (i.e., popular vote vs. electoral college)
it'd be difficult to explain in an efficient manner that would hold a person's interest. God knows, I'm bored to death with it and I understand it
Old 10-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

I'm not so sure about the idea in that I just don't know how "entertaining" it is. Educational and informative? For sure, but I don't see it fitting in with the experience of Epcot. It's information that is readily available to anyone who wants it through books/internet, etc...

I will say though, that if they were going to do something like that, then I would hope and want to see it for all the countries represented in the WS, not just the US. That would be far more interesting.
POP & Offsite - Aug 2013 - MB/FP+ test
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
JustMeFran
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
i come to wdw to escape the real world, not to be reminded of it. Politics and disney don't (or shouldn't) mix. Just my opinion.
agree!

JustMeFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I come to WDW to escape the real world, not to be reminded of it. Politics and Disney don't (or shouldn't) mix. Just my opinion.
Totally agree!
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillianP1301 View Post
I will say though, that if they were going to do something like that, then I would hope and want to see it for all the countries represented in the WS, not just the US. That would be far more interesting.
You really want to see how Italian or Chinese Politics work?
Old 10-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I like this idea. Roll it out every four years, starting after the political conventions so there are actual candidates out there. But have the exhibit do cartoon people "running" against each other. End with voters going into the polling place and never having a winner declared.

America's voting system is complex, no doubt about it. And it's different from anywhere else in the world. Instead of saying how bad it is, wouldn't it be nice to be positive and show the world what we do here?

Remember Schoolhouse Rock? That concept would be excellent for something like this.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
Starclassic
‎"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~Walt Disney

Quote:

Feb.2012 ASMu, Feb.2013 ASMu, Feb.2015 Pop

Starclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
matheke
DIS Veteran

Quote:

For those of you not in a swing state, consider yourselves lucky. We have been bombarded with campaign ads, Special Interest Group Ads, candidate phone calls, PAC calls, polling calls non stop since May.

I have 2 days circled on my calender, Nov 6 and Dec 2. Both will be when our vacation starts.
matheke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: