DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex
 
shellybaxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Susanville, California
Posts: 5,494

I don't know what the standard is - and honestly I don't care - I know it is extra work for someone to put my to go orders in all the containers, get all the extras together, put it into boxes or bags, etc - so I tip on to go orders. The people seem to appreciate my "thank you" - which is why I do it - not because it is expected or because I'm "supposed to"
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I believe the standard isn't to tip to individual go orders that are picked up within a business. Of all of the restaurants I'm familiar with and know about the process, I can't think of a single one that routinely use wait staff that is currently busy. I've seen them ask a wait person that is standing around if they minded grabbing an order. It seems most use the hostess staff and management in combo to take care of this task, none of which are in a tipped position. I realize each situation can be different. I wonder what the % is on the order not being correct, I'd guess 10-20% or greater partly because there's often not a chance to correct it. IMO this is something that should be put on management, not the customer and simply illustrates the flaws of the system when one feels like they should only be doing things that are directly tipped. As Sammie points out, there are individual circumstances that must be considered given we're stuck with this system at present.
ya know, I don't know how they work it at, say "chili's" where they advertise take-out, or other chain restaurants.

I work at one of the numerous independant restuarants across the nation.. we do not have a hostess or "management". the couple who own the restaurant are the "management".. there are them, the bartender the cooks, and the witresses. and we all work together. and, you answer the phone, you get the order together.sometimes it's me or the other waitress, somtimes it's the owner. sometimesit's the bartender..


Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybaxter View Post
I don't know what the standard is - and honestly I don't care - I know it is extra work for someone to put my to go orders in all the containers, get all the extras together, put it into boxes or bags, etc - so I tip on to go orders. The people seem to appreciate my "thank you" - which is why I do it - not because it is expected or because I'm "supposed to"
thank you!!!! so much!!!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
ya know, I don't know how they work it at, say "chili's" where they advertise take-out, or other chain restaurants.

I work at one of the numerous independant restuarants across the nation.. we do not have a hostess or "management". the couple who own the restaurant are the "management".. there are them, the bartender the cooks, and the witresses. and we all work together. and, you answer the phone, you get the order together.sometimes it's me or the other waitress, somtimes it's the owner. sometimesit's the bartender..




thank you!!!! so much!!!
Being empty nesters we eat out maybe an average of almost once a day and rarely fast food though some CS, so we see many restaurants options from low end to high and we get take out rarely other than a to go meal added for a family member who might be tied up or working and I pay attention to details. I'm sure there are many variables and variations, however, this would seem to be a management issue if the overall compensation is not appropriate for an employee doing an appropriate job in this situation. While tipping may be appreciated, IMO, it's not appropriate when someone walks into a restaurant and picks up a basic to go order.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #19
Sammie
DIS Veteran
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Fantasyland
Posts: 20,398

I figure the person that does curbside, does as much or more than a server at buffet and I tip them.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #20
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Being empty nesters we eat out maybe an average of almost once a day and rarely fast food though some CS, so we see many restaurants options from low end to high and we get take out rarely other than a to go meal added for a family member who might be tied up or working and I pay attention to details. I'm sure there are many variables and variations, however, this would seem to be a management issue if the overall compensation is not appropriate for an employee doing an appropriate job in this situation. While tipping may be appreciated, IMO, it's not appropriate when someone walks into a restaurant and picks up a basic to go order.
what is a "basic" to go order? how does it differ from a non-basic to go order?

anyhow, someone has taken the time to put that order together. say they ordered a Tempura Shrimp dinner. and a prime rib dinner. with horseradish sauce. one soup, one salad. I put a few rolls in a paper bag. I put together a salad.(in the togo container, I go to my salad bar, put in lettuce,and dress it with the following: radishes, grated carrots:tomato cucumber, green pepper, onion. and put i n a cup of salad dressing, with a lid. and fill a to go container with soup, grab a packet of oyste crackers, . put the soup, salad and rools i none plastic bag. now, go to the kitchen and get the entrees from the cook. put some cocktail sauce in a little plastic cup with lid. same with sour cream for the baked potato oh, an a couple lemons (which I have cut, and now may have to cut more ).
and I take some horeseradhish and some sour cream and make up a little horseradish sauce, to put in a little plastic cup, with a lid (for the prime rib)

now, I took time out to take the order over the phone (love those people who want you to practically read the menu to you over the phone) . when the customer arrives, I take their credit card and run it.. or take their money and give them change. (this usually takes a couple trips)

and yes, this IS taking time away from my tables in the dining room.

however, in my opinion, a tip in the dining room is expected. a tip for carry out is appreciated, not expected. but it is definitely apppropriate. 10% is great! a couple bucks is appreciated, too!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #21
JAG107
Mouseketeer
 
JAG107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Ca.
Posts: 113

Has anyone ever ordered drive-thru, was then asked to go park around the corner and wait for an employee to bring out your order? Do you tip these people? Is that all that different from curbside carryout from say Chili's?
There are times when I see tip jars at fast food places, where I fill up my drink, and carry my tray or bag either to a table or out the door.
Other times, for example at the Dinosaur CS at AK, the CM's have offered to refill our drinks, bus our trays and get us anything else we might need (napkins, sauce, etc.) yet no tip is expected there. I will gladly tip those that go the extra effort to making our dining experience above average, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth when the "karma" jar is left out when the only service being provided is my food being put in a bag and handed to me.
It's unfortunate that restaurants are required to report mandatory tips to the IRS, I think this is completely unfair, especially in a take-out situation. What is so difficult about having a separate register for carryout orders? The ones I've seen at Chili's HAVE a special register just for carryout orders, am I missing something there?
__________________
AS-Sp 5/07 POP 2/08 AS-Sp 1/09 POP 11/10 BLT 1/12VAKL 11/12 BLT/VGF 1/14 BLT/BWV 12/14
JAG107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 47,083

OP, do NOT talk to my husband about you not being able to complain because she works. DH has been telling me for years that he wouldn't mind it at all if I hired a cleaning service, even though I'm at home with absolutely no plans to go back to working outside the home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBill View Post

Don't have a maid. Can't afford one because we tip everyone...


Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post


As far as them being taxed on money that they don't receive, as an employee I would be contacting the IRS because the employer is filing false tax returns.

Bill
Wouldn't it be great if servers (in the states with "server minimum", and at the restaurants that do this) would do just that?




OP, if YOU quit your job and went to clean houses, and you spent 5 hours cleaning up *someone else's stuff*, how much would YOU want to be paid? (bet it's more than $140!)
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #23
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
what is a "basic" to go order? how does it differ from a non-basic to go order?

anyhow, someone has taken the time to put that order together. say they ordered a Tempura Shrimp dinner. and a prime rib dinner. with horseradish sauce. one soup, one salad. I put a few rolls in a paper bag. I put together a salad.(in the togo container, I go to my salad bar, put in lettuce,and dress it with the following: radishes, grated carrots:tomato cucumber, green pepper, onion. and put i n a cup of salad dressing, with a lid. and fill a to go container with soup, grab a packet of oyste crackers, . put the soup, salad and rools i none plastic bag. now, go to the kitchen and get the entrees from the cook. put some cocktail sauce in a little plastic cup with lid. same with sour cream for the baked potato oh, an a couple lemons (which I have cut, and now may have to cut more ).
and I take some horeseradhish and some sour cream and make up a little horseradish sauce, to put in a little plastic cup, with a lid (for the prime rib)

now, I took time out to take the order over the phone (love those people who want you to practically read the menu to you over the phone) . when the customer arrives, I take their credit card and run it.. or take their money and give them change. (this usually takes a couple trips)

and yes, this IS taking time away from my tables in the dining room.

however, in my opinion, a tip in the dining room is expected. a tip for carry out is appreciated, not expected. but it is definitely apppropriate. 10% is great! a couple bucks is appreciated, too!
When I say basic, I mean normal, nothing overly difficult or special. This should be most of the to go orders. As I suggested, this is a management issue. In your case, the owners are making money on those orders and should figure a way to cover that issue. Hopefully the overall situation is positive for you. The actual work itself is somewhat irrelevant in this situation, the question is who does it and how it's compensated. My opinion is that it is not the standard and therefore it's not appropriate. Since you say it's not expected, I'm assuming you agree that it's not the standard. My personal approach in general is that tipping situations or persons outside the standard is inappropriate. Larger picture, I believe the entire system should be scrapped and employer's should pay employees a market based rate.

ETA: Do you have other duties that are not compensated extra from tips like general restaurant cleanup, acting as cashier, food prep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Wouldn't it be great if servers (in the states with "server minimum", and at the restaurants that do this) would do just that?
As I understand it, no one is taxed on money they don't receive. They have withholding assuming a 10% I believe and the employer has to make up the difference related to min wage if they don't make that much. My understanding is that IF they were over withheld at the end of the year and file taxes accordingly, they would get back any excess withholding.
__________________
Dean

Last edited by Dean; 10-12-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #24
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,727

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG107 View Post
Has anyone ever ordered drive-thru, was then asked to go park around the corner and wait for an employee to bring out your order? Do you tip these people? Is that all that different from curbside carryout from say Chili's?
There are times when I see tip jars at fast food places, where I fill up my drink, and carry my tray or bag either to a table or out the door.
Other times, for example at the Dinosaur CS at AK, the CM's have offered to refill our drinks, bus our trays and get us anything else we might need (napkins, sauce, etc.) yet no tip is expected there. I will gladly tip those that go the extra effort to making our dining experience above average, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth when the "karma" jar is left out when the only service being provided is my food being put in a bag and handed to me.
It's unfortunate that restaurants are required to report mandatory tips to the IRS, I think this is completely unfair, especially in a take-out situation. What is so difficult about having a separate register for carryout orders? The ones I've seen at Chili's HAVE a special register just for carryout orders, am I missing something there?
Salted tip jars are successful because humans tend to follow others. They see the tip jar with money in it and they don't want to be the person not leaving a tip so they do.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.