Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
toychick
Earning My Ears

Planning First Trip in 25+ Years!

I'm actually really, really excited.

Hi. I've been lurking for weeks now but I finally had a question that I couldn't find an answer to anywhere so I had to break down and ask. I'm an obsessive researcher so I have to know all of the details and all of the options so that I can make 4,000 plans for my fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants family to totally disregard.

I haven't been to WDW since I was 12. Next fall DD turns 13 and we decided that since we are finally on solid financial ground for the first time in 6 years that we would make her 13th Birthday Present her first trip to WDW. YAAAAYYYYYY (Kermit style)!!

We've already decided on the last full week of September. It's a little ahead of her birthday but a whole lot less expensive to go two weeks early. She'll miss a week of school but shes an advanced student in an advanced school and advanced among her advanced peers. I'm bragging, sorry. But she does have a keen interest in International Studies, her school is an International Studies Magnet, so we're hoping to pull an excused absence in exchange for many excellent reports from Epcot.

We also chose the last week of September in hopes of catching the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. My obsessive research indicates that the Festival usually starts the last weekend of September (YAAAAAAYYYY!!!) unless October 1st is a Friday.

We have selected Port Orleans French Quarter because we love New Orleans and it's a special place for our family. Also it's small and shouldn't be busy at all the last week of September. We're crossing our fingers for a Free DDP.

However, planning the trip for the end of September does add one thing that we just really aren't interested in MNSSHP. We love Halloween and tend to do it up big, but after being burned at big zoo and theme park Halloween events in the past, we plan to be at Epcot on MNSSHP days.

Finally that brings me to my question, I know at DL they decorate the Haunted Mansion for Halloween/Christmas with Nightmare Before Christmas, even changing the ride. Do they make any changes to the MK Haunted Mansion for Halloween? I really want DD's first run on the Haunted Mansion to not be covered in Jack Skellington.
toychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

They do not change the haunted mansion at WDW, so no worries there.

I will warn you that Food and Wine gets really crowded, so avoid weekends at epcot. Personally, unless you are willing to pay alot of money to sample food and go to tastings and such, I would go before it starts. We have been in the world the last three years during Food and Wine and it seems to be getting busier and busier.

MNSSHP, I wouldn't write this one off yet. It is so much fun. The parade and fireworks alone make it worth it. Anyone of any age can dress up and trick or treat, you get a ton of candy and lot of it is really decent. My DH and I have gone twice and had a great time.
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm an obsessive researcher so I have to know all of the details and all of the options so that I can make 4,000 plans for my fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants family to totally disregard.
Welcome to our planet! You are one of us!

We love POFQ - it's really lovely and there's a free boat ride to Downtown Disney. You can also either take the boat or walk to POR, their food court is really nice and they have a much larger gift shop than FQ.

We've gone in Sept. many times and have never gone to MNSSHP. Just not our thing. We always have park hoppers so if one park closes early, we head to Epcot for dinner & evening touring. Or we just go back to POFQ and maybe hit Downtown Disney, or just relax at the resort.

September will be HOT. Hot and humid. So plan for that as well.

If you have a small family (seems like you are 3?) then be sure to do the math before jumping on a free dining offer. Typically free dining is offered alongside other room-only discounts, so you should compare the discount. Last time I booked "free" dining at POFQ, I had to pay my travel agent $250 more dollars, since we lost our room discount. Worked out to "half price dining" which of course doesn't sound as good, at least to Disney marketeers. Also, if you do get the dining plan, it's a good idea to have advance ADR's for every table-service meal, especially if they do offer free dining. The park crowd levels might be moderate or low, but the restaurants will be packed.

And lastly, we loved the F&W Festival, but I would agree that Friday nights & all day Saturday are NUTZ. Plus lots of unappealing drunk people, mostly towards evening. Sundays aren't quite as bad, but weekdays are lovely.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
toychick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwhitney View Post
They do not change the haunted mansion at WDW, so no worries there.

I will warn you that Food and Wine gets really crowded, so avoid weekends at epcot. Personally, unless you are willing to pay alot of money to sample food and go to tastings and such, I would go before it starts. We have been in the world the last three years during Food and Wine and it seems to be getting busier and busier.

MNSSHP, I wouldn't write this one off yet. It is so much fun. The parade and fireworks alone make it worth it. Anyone of any age can dress up and trick or treat, you get a ton of candy and lot of it is really decent. My DH and I have gone twice and had a great time.
Good to know, thanks!

I'm planning to spend one day in Epcot before the F&W Festival starts to make sure we get to see and do everything we want to and that Friday just for F&W activities and anything we missed the first day.

I'll think about MNSSHP. We can always buy tickets on the day of.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
toychick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHSweb79 View Post
Welcome to our planet! You are one of us!

We love POFQ - it's really lovely and there's a free boat ride to Downtown Disney. You can also either take the boat or walk to POR, their food court is really nice and they have a much larger gift shop than FQ.

We've gone in Sept. many times and have never gone to MNSSHP. Just not our thing. We always have park hoppers so if one park closes early, we head to Epcot for dinner & evening touring. Or we just go back to POFQ and maybe hit Downtown Disney, or just relax at the resort.

September will be HOT. Hot and humid. So plan for that as well.

If you have a small family (seems like you are 3?) then be sure to do the math before jumping on a free dining offer. Typically free dining is offered alongside other room-only discounts, so you should compare the discount. Last time I booked "free" dining at POFQ, I had to pay my travel agent $250 more dollars, since we lost our room discount. Worked out to "half price dining" which of course doesn't sound as good, at least to Disney marketeers. Also, if you do get the dining plan, it's a good idea to have advance ADR's for every table-service meal, especially if they do offer free dining. The park crowd levels might be moderate or low, but the restaurants will be packed.

And lastly, we loved the F&W Festival, but I would agree that Friday nights & all day Saturday are NUTZ. Plus lots of unappealing drunk people, mostly towards evening. Sundays aren't quite as bad, but weekdays are lovely.
Hot and humid is nothing for us, we are Southern and live in Arkansas. Every May we grow gills to get through the summer months.

There are only three of us. I'm planning to do all of my booking through the Disney site. We are driving down and seeing family in the Panhandle on the way so no need for a travel agent. I have been looking at travel agents and I always seem to come up with a better price playing with the Disney booking system.

I have read that about the table service restaurants. I'm going to make dinner reservations at Be Our Guest exactly six months out! I think we've decided that we have to try Coral Reef in Epcot for sure, too. So many food choices, so little time!

I did the math on the regular DDP and the Deluxe DDP and discovered with our tastes we could absolutely get our money's worth on either. The Deluxe plan just seemed like way too much food and a high likelihood of a food coma killing a day.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toychick View Post
Hot and humid is nothing for us, we are Southern and live in Arkansas. Every May we grow gills to get through the summer months.

There are only three of us. I'm planning to do all of my booking through the Disney site. We are driving down and seeing family in the Panhandle on the way so no need for a travel agent. I have been looking at travel agents and I always seem to come up with a better price playing with the Disney booking system.

I have read that about the table service restaurants. I'm going to make dinner reservations at Be Our Guest exactly six months out! I think we've decided that we have to try Coral Reef in Epcot for sure, too. So many food choices, so little time!

I did the math on the regular DDP and the Deluxe DDP and discovered with our tastes we could absolutely get our money's worth on either. The Deluxe plan just seemed like way too much food and a high likelihood of a food coma killing a day.

O'hana in the polynsian resort...is an excellent meal....can't be missed. A little pricey but so good. Another one that you should make 6 months outl.

In regards to buying MNSSHP tickets the night of, they do sometimes sell out, and plan a weeknight party not a friday night (as those are the busiest)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
toychick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
O'hana in the polynsian resort...is an excellent meal....can't be missed. A little pricey but so good. Another one that you should make 6 months outl.

In regards to buying MNSSHP tickets the night of, they do sometimes sell out, and plan a weeknight party not a friday night (as those are the busiest)
O'hana is on the options list. I would like to manage to have as much diversity in food as possible. If we settle on Yak and Yeti at AK then O'Hanas Asian/Islander fare doubles up. We were looking at Chefs de France at Epcot until we got a look at the Be Our Guest menu and eating in the Beasts Castle just sounds way more fun than in a French Restaurant.

The hardest part is making food decisions six months to a year out. I can't plan dinner menus at home a week in advanced!

We're trying to avoid weekends altogether.

This is the current scheduled plan.

Sun - MK
Mon - MK
Tues - Epcot
Wed - DHS
Thur - AK
Fri - Epcot

Nothing is set in stone until we start making reservations and the various event dates are released. I'm still debating Park Hoppers.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
nadiakim
Disney yesterday, today and forever!

Quote:

Also for the MNSSHP the ticket price is cheaper if you buy in advance. Last year we bought on line in advance and had them emailed to us. I say if you like to try international BOMA in Animal Kingdom lodge is a must!

ME DH DD (8) DS (6) DD (3) 115 Days till Disney Vactaion
nadiakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Spanky
DIS Veteran

If your family is into fireworks then I would also put in a plug for the MNSSHP as the best fireworks that Disney puts on. Plus as an older family [no little kids] you probably enjoy the Villains and they are out in force for the party.
I think Boma at the AKL would be a great meal on your AK day. A chance to try lots of different foods. It is a very interesting meal.
We love POFQ too. Ask for a top floor room [ they have elevators] so you don't have little feet running over your head.
Your plan looks great at this point - just remember to be flexible. It is often the unexpected that becomes the highlight of the entire trip.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: