Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
smilie
Mouseketeer
The Tag Fairy wants to know why you aren't in school? Aren't you 16? ;-)
Married to a taco arsonist!
WoW Widow

Anyone live in or around Jacksonville, FL

I'd like to hear from those that live in or near the Jacksonville FL area.
We are considering our moving options and this area has come up.
I'd just like to know what the area is like.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Karalea
Mouseketeer

I don't but I have very good friends who moved just south to Ponte Vedra and they love it. They choose Ponte Vedra because of the school system. They heard nothing good about Duval county (Jacksonville) schools.
Karalea is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

My SIL and family moved to J'ville almost 20 years ago and they really love it. Their kids are out of school now and I can't remember where they went for HS (I know it wasn't Orange Park but somewhere else). They live in Argyle Forest. My DH and I aren't crazy about J'ville - we lived in Brevard County for a while and visited them often and it just didn't do it for us, but like I said they love it. My BIL works downtown and my SIL has done a number of different things all over the area.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
gottaluvPluto
I feel like Tink and Tigger

I have lived there off and on for several years and in a month we are moving back. Anyway, St. Johns County is the best county for school system. You should check out Fruit Cove, Ponte Vedra and Ponte Vedra Beach. Also look into a community called Town of Nocatee. Nocatee is a planned community with nature preserves and walking trails, very pretty.

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvPluto View Post
I have lived there off and on for several years and in a month we are moving back. Anyway, St. Johns County is the best county for school system. You should check out Fruit Cove, Ponte Vedra and Ponte Vedra Beach. Also look into a community called Town of Nocatee. Nocatee is a planned community with nature preserves and walking trails, very pretty.
I live in Fruit Cove, aka St Johns. LOVE IT.
OP. Stay out of Jacksonville/Duval county. You want to live in St Johns county. Schools are fantastic and a very family feel to it. All the kids are very involved in school activities/sports/church, take your pick or do all of the above. We call it living in the "bubble" he in St Johns. Ponte Vedra is nice, but a little older and probably somewhat more expensive and close to the beach.

Nocatee is nice, but I would look closely, they were in full start right when the housing crash happened. Not sure how built up it is. PM me if you need more answers. If you are going to move I can not suggest this area enough and 100% stay out of Jacksonville.

PS Most people who live in this area do work in Jacksonville. Also another poster said their relatives lived in Argyle, in Orange Park, I agree with her, don't like it and I would stay out. Traffic night mare, and not so great schools.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Swan4Me
DIS Veteran

My sis moved south of J'ville in the Mandarin area-but her kids are grown
Their house is on a creek with a boat dock-they are always out on the river-and she has a kayak too!
I really like this town-there is an art bazar under one of the main bridges every Saturday-and the College is really cool! (Her DH is a Professor there)
Swan4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
smilie
Mouseketeer
The Tag Fairy wants to know why you aren't in school? Aren't you 16? ;-)
Married to a taco arsonist!
WoW Widow

Thank you for all of the replies and info!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
JimB.
DIS Veteran

I live in St Augustine. Been here about 27 years. Nice place. Not too expensive (but Ponte Vedra IS.....). Nice beaches. Good schools. Economy is so-so. Jacksonville..............let's just say I moved out of THERE to come HERE. Very tourist and agricultural based economy. Some light manufacturing and tech jobs, but not that many. Nice airport. Fun to fly at. Closest airlines at Jax International & Daytona Beach to a lesser extent.

That being said, when I retire, I am getting outta' here.............
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

I live in Jacksonville. Any questions you have I would be more than happy to answer
Old 10-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

I'm in Middleburg. Used to live in Jax on the southside.

I wouldn't live in the north or west. Southside is ok, but is starting to slip a bit.
Job market still reeks.
Duval schools are very hit or miss.
People are ok, for the most part.
I dislike driving on bridges--always have though.

I like living in Mburg---it's the boonies, but I have a quarter acre and a 4 bedroom house, close enough for my son to ride his bike to school, and my neighbors are nice. I just wish Whole Foods was closer!
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
gottaluvPluto
I feel like Tink and Tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I live in Fruit Cove, aka St Johns. LOVE IT.
OP. Stay out of Jacksonville/Duval county. You want to live in St Johns county. Schools are fantastic and a very family feel to it. All the kids are very involved in school activities/sports/church, take your pick or do all of the above. We call it living in the "bubble" he in St Johns. Ponte Vedra is nice, but a little older and probably somewhat more expensive and close to the beach.

Nocatee is nice, but I would look closely, they were in full start right when the housing crash happened. Not sure how built up it is. PM me if you need more answers. If you are going to move I can not suggest this area enough and 100% stay out of Jacksonville.

PS Most people who live in this area do work in Jacksonville. Also another poster said their relatives lived in Argyle, in Orange Park, I agree with her, don't like it and I would stay out. Traffic night mare, and not so great schools.

We went to Nocatee a couple of months ago and it's doing very well. A couple of subdivisions are in closeout and one is in the last phase. Willowcove has sold signs throughout the subdivision and they estimated that they will be in the last phase in a few months. They are starting to work on opening up two or three more subdivisions. The greentrails are up and running and within a year they will expand the trails to the Nocatee nature preserve. I was really surprised by the growth, but they are doing well.

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:25 AM   #12
parrothead365
I'd rather have a kiss than a smoke
Dr. Said I have evil toes!
I like laundry as much as Tabasco enimas
I just hope I end up with the licking end of the dog under my nose

I live just north of Jacksonville in Nassau county fo over 20 years and in the Jacksonville are for over 30 years. What do you want to know?

"Phins to left...Phins to the right"

I'm an analog guy in a digital world

Proud Dad of a Shotokan Black Belt

We should all remember that the Freedom we ALL enjoy was NOT FREE....Thank a Veteran today!
parrothead365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB. View Post
I live in St Augustine. Been here about 27 years. Nice place. Not too expensive (but Ponte Vedra IS.....). Nice beaches. Good schools. Economy is so-so. Jacksonville..............let's just say I moved out of THERE to come HERE. Very tourist and agricultural based economy. Some light manufacturing and tech jobs, but not that many. Nice airport. Fun to fly at. Closest airlines at Jax International & Daytona Beach to a lesser extent.

That being said, when I retire, I am getting outta' here.............
Where does someone who lives in FL retire to??????
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: