Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #16
outahere

To the OP....

Since you are already back home, I would send a letter (not email) to the general manager, explaining what happened during your stay (including room numbers). I have written to her in the past and she was pretty responsive.

Mim Flynn, General Manager
Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts
1800 EPCOT Resort Boulevard
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the BC villas this past June (and many times in the past), our room was in great shape. In fact we're scheduled to stay there again later this month & January before and after our Disney Cruises. Hopefully we won't have issues like the OP.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
kam1011
Mouseketeer

Yup! I won't stay at BC anymore. Our last stay was in 2008 for my BIL's wedding, so everyone we knew was in that resort. My parents had to change rooms three times before they got one that was decent. There were even frayed wires in one of the rooms they left. My dad took pictures of all the nastiness and it really set the two of them in a mood for the trip.

2000s:
5 off-site trips
All Star Music Family Suites
Beach Club
Wilderness Lodge Villas (x2)
Old Key West (x2)
Saratoga Springs
AKL - Kidani Village
Bay Lake Tower

I may have missed some...

kam1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
francie57
DIS Veteran

We have been to the BCVs twice this year and will be returning in Jan. Between this years trips and last years we have never had a problem with the villas we have stayed in. They have been extremely clean and not run down at all. As for the BC, when we were there in Aug. they were replacing the rugs in the halls and were doing work all over. Thought I had read on there that the place was undergoing a renovation. May be that you got a room that will be done. We were at the BWVs when they were being redone and I know they won't put people in rooms near the work so if the BC is being redone they may not have use of the entire resort.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #20
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Sorry you had a bad experience.

BC is our favorite resort and we've never had any problems with a dirty room or mousekeeping. When we checked into CL they did ask us our preference for time of room cleaning - we always requested the earliest time slot available.

One year we had a terrible experience with mousekeeping at the GF, but it was just a one time thing and never happened again. Maybe you just had the bad luck of the draw like we did at the GF. It didn't stop us from staying there again.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #21
fall08CP
Cheesehead

For previous posters who have suggested notifying the front desk, there's nothing they can do except continue to reassign your room. It is NOT a front desk issue, it's a housekeeping issue. They will call a housekeeping manager, but it's faster and more effective if you call housekeeping from your room and ask a housekeeping manager to meet you there. How do I know? I once worked beach club front desk
Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #22
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Red face

We were at BCV in April and the room was disgusting but they are not alone-we have stayed at OKW many times and over the years that has become dirtier and dirtier-you can reno and redo all you want but if the normal day to day housekeeping is lacking it gets gross.

Housekeeping needs to be held to certain standards-

Our bathroom floor at OKW could have used a jug of bleach! YUCK!!!

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
Sorry you had a bad experience.

BC is our favorite resort and we've never had any problems with a dirty room or mousekeeping. When we checked into CL they did ask us our preference for time of room cleaning - we always requested the earliest time slot available.

One year we had a terrible experience with mousekeeping at the GF, but it was just a one time thing and never happened again. Maybe you just had the bad luck of the draw like we did at the GF. It didn't stop us from staying there again.
Just wanted to say "ditto" to all of this (in other words, we've never experienced any problems with BC rooms over the past 20 years) and post a few photos from our BC stay last weekend:

First, the lobby:

Then, up the stairs to the second floor:

We walked through the elevator bank:

Then we turned to the right:

And our room was right there!

Our balcony:

The daybed:

Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL and CBR

Last edited by pixarmom; 10-14-2012 at 05:50 PM.
pixarmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #24
merina888
Mouseketeer

I haven't stayed at BC, but I was less than impressed with Mousekeeping on our last trip. My daughter who was 1 at the time found everything on the floor. You could tell the floor had not been thoroughly vacuumed. My daughter also got sick in the pack-n-play one night. I had left the Disney sheets on (which is unusual because I generally put our own sheets on the pack-n-play). So we stripped the nasty sheet off the bed, put new sheets on and left the nasty sheet with the dirty towels on the bathroom floor (in a pile). Imagine my absolute disgust when I found that nasty sheet stuck in my children's suitcase with their clean clothes. Lucky for mousekeeping that my husband spoke to them because there were four letter words coming out of my mouth that day and I was really angry.
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #25
Mom23WildBoys
Earning My Ears

We had a really bad BC stay too...

Sorry, this is long! So readers beware!

This past summer I decided to take an impromptu, late August DW trip, since the great discounts came out. I've never taken my boys anywhere alone, but I figured that they were old enough now to stay with me and be safe. I was expecting this to be an easy trip, based on our April 2012 BCV stay, which is why I risked my first trip alone with my two older boys (6 and 5...left the 2 year old at home!). Well, it turned out to be a horribly stressful trip, and I'll try to give you the "abbreviated" version of what went on.

Checked in Tuesday night, they only had a king room with a rollaway bed. I asked for our groceries and stroller to be sent over to the room and the boys and I walked over to see where the room was and to drop off some stuff and head to EPCOT. The room was 1st floor on a corner, RIGHT next to a back exit. We came back from EPCOT around 12:30 am to find NO groceries/NO stroller. I tried to call the front desk/bell services, but the phone didn't even have a dial tone (it was plugged in, I checked). I had to re-dress the boys and walk down to the lobby. They said that they'd send the stuff to the room and make a note to fix the phone in the morning. By 1:30 am I had mostly unpacked and they finally delivered the stroller and only some of our groceries (Garden Grocer delivered them to BWI!). Bell services promised to go get the rest of the groceries and bring them in the morning. Garden Grocer never responded to my email about the delivery mix-up. Anyway, the room turned out to be awful b/c my kids are wiggly sleepers, there was luggage rolling by the room all night, and the exit door slammed/people talked loudly coming in and out all night too. None of us slept well at all.

Wednesday morning I got up to get ready and the hair dryer DIDN'T work. I still couldn't call bell services from the broken phone, so on our way out to MK I asked the frong desk AGAIN to have the phone and hair dryer fixed, and reminded bell services about the rest of our groceries. We were promised it'd all be taken care of when we returned. Also, EVERY morning, before we left for the parks, I packed up a lot of our stuff to have it out of the way for the housekeepers. That turned out to be a waste of good park time. We came back the first day around 2:30pm to a room that hadn't been cleaned, nothing had been fixed, and still no more groceries. I put my boys down for a nap and went down to the lobby to talk to them AGAIN (I wouldn't normally leave them, but I thought I could get back within 5 minutes or so!). This time the CM offered to move me to a double queen room, no day bed. When he switched the rooms in the system, the CM said that I was now locked out of the room where my boys were sleeping, but INSISTED that I had to immediately pack and get out of there so that they could re-sell the room! I asked him how I could even get in, let alone pack up the room, and how could I call for a bellman with no working phone? It took him 20 minutes to find someone to let me in, but they both insisted that they didn't have time to wait for me to pack, so a bellman would come back at some point in the future. I packed up and about 30 minutes later a bellman came with a luggage cart, which I loaded while he called the front desk to see which room I would be in, since the one they had switched me to had already been given away! I woke up my exhausted boys and moved finally to a double queen room with day bed (the one good thing, so that they could sleep better in separate beds!). I reminded the bellman that I was waiting for groceries, and he promised to send them. This room was much better, and since everyone was up we decided to head back to the parks. We came home around 11 pm to NO MORE GROCERIES again. I called and reminded bell services that I was waiting for them. They promised to send them in the morning since it was so late.

Thursday morning, nothing was delivered to us before we headed out to AK. When we came back from AK around 2, the room hadn't been cleaned yet, but the groceries were FINALLY delivered, so I took the boys to the pool. We went back to the room after 4 and it still hadn't been cleaned. There was a housekeeper in the hallway, so I asked her if I could take a quick shower and then she could clean, assuming that our room would be one of the next ones. She asked me to write "5 pm", as her return time, and sign a piece of paper, so I did. We headed out to Epcot for the evening, returned at 10 and the room WAS NOT cleaned!

Friday morning we headed to HS. Came back around 2:45 and the room hadn't been cleaned yet again. By this point I was out of clean towels, coffee pods, clean glasses/mugs, toiletries, etc., so I called Mousekeeping to ask to please go ahead and send someone to the room. I'd take the boys down to the lobby, skipping naps again, so that it could be done. 20 minutes later the housekeeper showed up and said "You needed me to come back?", and I told her that NO ONE had cleaned our room since we'd been there. She didn't say anything. We went to the lobby for an hour, where I went back to the concierge to ask him to cancel our April trip to BC. I was so frustrated at this point, almost in tears, and ready to just go home. He asked if the boys liked ice cream and if that would help me decide to keep the reservation. I told him no thank you, and he called over the female hotel manager. I told her what had been going on, she appologized, gave me her card and told me to call if I decided to come back so that she could take care of us, and she comped the wasted groceries and food we had to buy in the parks instead for 2.5 days (VERY nice of her, since it was really Garden Grocer at fault for delivering the food to BWI, but since Bell Services kept promising that they'd fix it and never followed through, she felt they were at fault too).

When we returned to the room, the housekeeper had only made the beds (changed sheets? I don't know) and put more towels in the room. Nothing had been cleaned, the coffee mugs were just rinsed out and sitting on the counter with coffee rings still in them, NO replenished toiletries or coffee, and she didn't even clean out the old coffee pod. The housekeeper definitely took her tip envelope though!!! I went out in the hallway to ask another housekeeper if this was a standard cleaning and she said no, appologized for the other housekeeper, and replenished the room for me. I couldn't believe all this was STILL happening!!!

Saturday morning, packing to leave, my 5 year old woke up and told me that he found a peanut in his bed during the night. I said "That's gross, you didn't eat it did you?", to which he said "No, I hid it in my covers". He started digging around between the blankets and pulled out what looked like a ball of POOP!!!!!!!!! I immediately yelled for him to drop it and come wash his hands, and then I called the housekeeping line to ask for a manager to come down. (BTW, my 5 year old has been potty trained for over 3 years and NEVER has accidents, so I know whatever this thing was WASN'T his!). My 6 year old son yelled that there was another piece of poop looking stuff on the floor. The manager came and picked up the stuff, appologized and said the last night would be comped.

Anyway, I'm so sad to have, what was, my favorite resort ruined for me, but I just think it'd be really dumb to go back and risk this kind of thing/these kinds of things happening again. Just the stress alone was enough to ruin the whole trip. Well, along with the HOUR LONG bus trip from the park to BC, where the three of us had to stand the whole time, smashed between the seats, as we were the fifth stop! I think it was from AK...but no one got off the bus until YC/BC. There were only people getting on and the driver kept telling everyone to move back and make room. It was totally rediculous and my boys were getting really mad and tired of standing up for so long.

I went ahead and cancelled our April 2013 trip completely, and switched our December 2013 trip from BC to the Polynesian. The reservations CM encouraged me to try BC again in December and definitely call the manager for her help, but I still don't think it'd be worth it. BC has some major housekeeping issues, and trouble with following up on what they say they'll do!
Mom23WildBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #26
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Just wanted to say "ditto" to all of this and post a few photos from our BC stay last weekend:

First, the lobby:

Then, up the stairs to the second floor:

We walked through the elevator bank:

Then we turned to the right:

And our room was right there!

Our balcony:

The daybed:

Pixarmom, Thank you for posting these! They were very reassuring that we made a good decision.
Hopefully the issues others have had have been resolved.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #27
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

If you have a bad room take pictures!!! Post the pictures here and room number and when you stayed. Then when you write your letter give the url of the post about your room. The post here gives added pressure to the GM and in turn to the housekeeping manager, who obviously are not doing their jobs.

As to how a bank of room are bad and the rest are ok. That means there was a bad housekeeper or team of housekeepers. Maybe that maid was absent that day and somebody ran in and just made the beds and ran out. Who knows, they could have also been the dirty linens you slept on...
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

So how does a person posting a room number and pictures here of a dirty room to shame WDW into cleaning that room then go about getting informed the issue was resolved to their satisfaction so all such evidence of a (likely temporary) aberration doesn't then remain a permanent reference here?

Bad idea. Resolve the issue while it's happening.
Phone Monkey; Phone Monkey 2; Phone Monkey Declined; The Barkeep; Ultimate Guide to Soapmaking; Brief Anecdotes from an Amusing Life; Twisted Disney; Tony Partly Cloudy; The Alternative Guide to Nursery Rhymes; Dead Woman's Shoes; South of Normal; Wal-Mart Book of Ethics; Las Vegas Cab Life; Savvy Travelers Guide: Boston Red Sox; Professor Plausible's Big Book of Baloney; Sweet Masterpiece; The President's Brain is Missing; Why Your Flight Attendant Hates You; Dirty Numbers; My Life on Craigslist; Retail Memories: When Customer Attack; The Village Idiots Cruise Club; How to Find Your Soulmate on the Internet - NOT!; The Dining Doctor; Cars & Stars; Tales in the Sky; Reader's Digest The Dumb Book; An Amazon Verified Purchase; Adventures in Casino Security; Waiter Rant; Keep the Change; Fairy Tales from the I.R.S.; now (still) reading "Hot Doug's", along with 'Match Dot C'mon', 'Cliches: A Dictionary of Recieved Ideas', 'The Chase', and 'Real Happy Family'
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
So how does a person posting a room number and pictures here of a dirty room to shame WDW into cleaning that room then go about getting informed the issue was resolved to their satisfaction so all such evidence of a (likely temporary) aberration doesn't then remain a permanent reference here?

Bad idea. Resolve the issue while it's happening.
I agree. Take care of the problem as soon as you see it--pick up the phone or go downstairs. Get your reasonable issue resolved quickly, and then go on and enjoy your WDW vacation.
Taking photos, posting unhappiness online and just being annoyed doesn't seem to me to be of any great help.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #30
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Resolve the issue while it's happening.
Absolutely! First demand a housekeeping manager come to your room. If you don't get complete satisfaction after speaking to the housekeeping manager (a well maintained and clean room in a reasonable amount of time), demand to speak to the housekeeping manager's boss. Management at any Disney resort wants you in a clean and well maintained room. They want you to have a super vacation. They can't fix it if they don't know there is a problem. Unfortunately, there are people that don't care about the job they do ... not just at Disney or Universal or Hilton ... everywhere. If people don't open their mouths, things are never going to get fixed.

You deserve to get what you are paying for: a clean and well maintained room! I don't mean a room that looks like you are at a brand new resort and nobody has ever stayed in it before. Sure there will be knicks here and there and maybe marks on a wall. But you deserve and have paid for a room that is CLEAN and well maintained! And the managers honestly want you to get that!
TeenaS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: