Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
I think you have to weigh the pros and cons of each "side".

If her smile is "good" (though maybe not "perfect"), I'd probably leave well enough alone since bonding does involve permanent changes to the teeth, and there can be problems, particularly if not done right. (I'd go to a cosmetic dentist if I were going to have it done.) At the very least, allow her to live with her natural smile for a while once the braces are off (as I see you'll be doing). You can always go back in later to do it. But once you do it, you can't go back to natural, you know? As they say, hindsight is 20/20. You never want to say, "I wish I knew then what I know now" if you experience problems, that's the worst, especially when it was optional (as opposed to necessary from an accident or whatever).

Some of the discoloration occurs from "around" the bonding as opposed to the bonding itself. Especially from things like coffee, tea, sodas, etc. I think biting into things is less of an issue today than it was years ago thanks to newer bonding techniques. But you still have to be careful.

I seem to recall a thread here about braces and perfect smiles. Some felt that everyone's walking around with the same perfect smile today. I don't think there's anything wrong with a unique smile, if it's otherwise good. My DD was one of the seemingly few who didn't need braces, unless we wanted to improve her smile to perfect according to the orthodontist. She and we chose to forego the braces (for now) and she gets lots of compliments on her smile. (DS has a perfect smile without braces, had lots of spaces when he was little and they always told us spaces were good!)

I, for one, love unique smiles and don't think that everyones' smiles have to be perfect. Just my $.02.
Thanks! The fact of it being permanent and not being able to go back and get rid of it is the thing that had me the most concerned.

Dd is really worried about how she is going to look with the braces off anyway and all this talk about possibly needing some bonding isn't really helping that worry. I am really leaning toward seeing what her teeth look like without the braces, getting used to her "new" smile and going from there.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: