Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #1291
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

My dd is one also checking in on the 15th - I keep telling her to get on-line or on FB...........hopefully soon - between work an school........

Would love to do a poll on many kid will have their cars - she keeps bugging me about it but I doubt I will give in.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise šoš '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #1292
Fargoman2
DIS Veteran

Cab fare?

My daughter will be doing DCP Orlando Jan. 2013. She will be checking in solo (flying in). She will most likely spend one night at SSR, which according to mapquest is 3.34 miles from check in at Vista Way..

I assume Cab is the only reasonable way to get there. Any ideas how much that will cost her?

TIA.
Fargoman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #1293
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargoman2 View Post
My daughter will be doing DCP Orlando Jan. 2013. She will be checking in solo (flying in). She will most likely spend one night at SSR, which according to mapquest is 3.34 miles from check in at Vista Way..

I assume Cab is the only reasonable way to get there. Any ideas how much that will cost her?

TIA.
Here is a taxi rate finder for Orlando:
http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Orlando
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #1294
madge
... is soaking in it

Add me to the parents list!!

my DS just got his email ... he's coming home this weekend and we'll pick dates, etc.

Is there a Facebook group for Spring 2013? Did I see that somewhere?

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #1295
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
Would love to do a poll on many kid will have their cars - she keeps bugging me about it but I doubt I will give in.
we are going to encourage ours to leave the car here. we were at WDW last week and talked to a CPer who has her car there and regrets it. Everyone bugs her for a ride and she said it has to be easier without a car.

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #1296
mamabunny
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyepga View Post
Thanks for the input, mamabunny. I think we're probably going to stick with Hampton. Turns out that my 19 yr old is coming with us for the few days so the little bit of extra room might be nice. I haven't seen too many checking in on the 15th ... what role did your daughter get? Mine is in Concierge - Spring Advantage.
Our daughter will be Merchandise; it was her second pick, but I wasn't surprised, since her previous job experience was all retail. She's SA as well.

If you get a chance, you should drive over to Pop Century, and just walk around. Pictures don't do it justice, and everyone gets a kick out of it.

I've never been to Disney in Anaheim - even though my brother lives in Cypress, we always seem to wind up at Knotts! So, I can't really compare and contrast the two parks, except to say that I know first-hand that Orlando is just stunningly HUGE. We were just there last March, and I am still amazed at how big each of the parks are... and how long it can take to get around by the Transportation system! The night we went out to the Hoop-De-Doo Revue, I think we had to leave French Quarter something like 90 minutes early to insure that we were on time!

If you can (and if they are offering it that week) try to book the "Pirates & Pals" cruise. You start at Contemporary, around 7 pm, where you get to meet Captain Hook, and have some light refreshments. Then, everyone goes out on the lake with one of Captain Hooks pirates (we had Patch in our boat) and there is all kinds of family-friendly silliness while you wait for the show. (Hint: brush up on your Disney trivia!) When we were there, they were running the electrical water parade during the cruise as well. The best part is that you get to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the middle of the lake - the view of the castle with the fireworks reflecting on the water was so beautiful. (You hear the same audio as it is played in MK) Truly stunning, and we really did enjoy it. Be sure to book ahead; I think that the night we went, every slot was filled, and there was no room for walk-ups.

I hope you'll find time to have some fun while you are there!
mamabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #1297
mamabunny
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by madge View Post
we are going to encourage ours to leave the car here. we were at WDW last week and talked to a CPer who has her car there and regrets it. Everyone bugs her for a ride and she said it has to be easier without a car.
We are still on the fence. Our daughter has a wheelchair; she doesn't have to use it all the time, but it will have to be with her there in case she needs it. I know (from our visit this past March) that most of the buses in the park have ramps or "kneel", but we don't have any info (yet) about the buses that pick up Cast Members at the apartments, so she may have to drive herself during those times when she has to sit down.

If it weren't for that, I would probably encourage her to leave the car at home. She has already decided that she is going to apply the same policy to everyone there that she used in high school - they can ride along with her, but it's her car, her rules, and they will have to chip in for gas, or the car won't move.
mamabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #1298
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My dd had her car last time and is taking it this time. She found it made her life much easier in terms of going shopping and if they wanted to go someplace other than Downtown Disney for fun.

She had people ask her for rides and she just said no or she said she'd give them a ride if they gave her $. A LOT of people gave her money to drive them around -- she had a lucrative little side job going!
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #1299
AnnaS

Will you be rolling?

Quote:
I feel it's one less thing to worry about. I have no problem with her giving someone a few bucks for cash and ask them to pick something up. I only worry about perishable items. I am even thinking if anything - gardengrocer can probably deliver too.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise šoš '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
Old 10-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #1300
AnnaS

Will you be rolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargoman2 View Post

TIA.
What day is she checking in?

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR

Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #1301
Fargoman2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
Here is a taxi rate finder for Orlando:
http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Orlando
Thanks, but I tried this link and even when I put in the exact correct addresses it showed it as a 16 mile trip, which it is not...

any other ideas?
Fargoman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #1302
vellamint
DIS Veteran

I just made reservations for the Cinderella Breakfast for our last day .... when we have to leave them there.... I dont even know if their schedules will accommodate this but I think it is the perfect way to leave our Princesses (for 7 months).

I can feel myself starting to cry already...
11/2010 Disneyland Paris For My GIRLS SWEET 16!! (Sequoia Lodge)
08/09 All Star Sports -- 11/09 BWV & Disney Wonder -- 2/2010 The Disneyland Hotel -- 10/10 BLT F&W/MNSSHP
01/09 Grand Floridian & Disney Wonder -- 8/08 Hard Rock Hotel & Cypress Pointe & Pop Century --
2/08 Animal Kingdom Villas --
8/06 All Star Movies & Venetian Villages -- 4/06 Grand Californian
3/05 Wilderness Lodge Villas -- 8/04 Disneyland & DCA -- 2/04 Boardwalk Villas -- 8/03 HIFS & Marriott Cypress Harbour
1/03 Beach Club Villas & Old Key West -- 4/02 Radisson Twin Towers & Caribbean Beach -- 8/00 Holiday Inn Sunspree
vellamint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #1303
famouschinesec
Mouseketeer

fb link

Quote:
Add me to the parents list!!

my DS just got his email ... he's coming home this weekend and we'll pick dates, etc.

Is there a Facebook group for Spring 2013? Did I see that somewhere?
Here's one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/217859881623225/
There is also a subgroup formed from that group just for my daughter's check in date. That is how she found roommates.

Last edited by famouschinesec; 10-12-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo
famouschinesec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #1304
AnnaS

Will you be rolling?

Does anyone have any idea how big the lockers are? (big enough for laptop, etc.).

TIA.

Just saw it on youtube - always forget about this great tool

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR

Last edited by AnnaS; 10-18-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #1305
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

My DD wants to do the college program, but I am telling her she can't apply until she shows me she has the 'life skills' to do it.

Would most of you say your kids had good 'life skills' before going?

Like:

-being able to keep up with their laundry
-keeping their room clean
-closing cereal and cracker boxes so they don't go stale (or in Florida, so bugs don't crawl in).
-putting stuff away after they have used it.
-wiping up toothpaste and hair from the bathroom sinks.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would want to live with my DD at this time, and I don't think she can handle a job and also planning for her groceries and sundries and doing that shopping. And just budgeting her money to be able to do all of that.

HER thinking is.....in this type of program she would be forced to do all of that and she would be able to handle it. MY thinking is....show me you can do these things FIRST and then I will be OK with you applying.

I realize she is an adult and doesn't need my permission, but there is no other way for her to get to Florida and back, and I believe you have to put a deposit down on the apartment and stuff like that, so in reality she may not legally need my permission, but she needs me in order to go.

So I would love some input.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: