Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #256
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post

Yep. There are actually a couple of chambers here in S. Florida. If you get the bends, they put you in a chamber bring you back to pressure and slowly let "come up" to surface atmosphere. Luckily it is easily avoidable and cases are now rare. Third Geek Fact: Diving Tables that divers use to understand time and pressure underwater to prevent the bends were developed by the US Navy. Basically they told them to go at depth and see how long they could stay down before feeling the symptoms when they came up.
Pretty scary... But I know we have performed a lot of experiments, that sound crazy now...

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #257
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I say, that child of yours just becomes more beautiful by the day. What is she majoring in? Did you tell her no male is good enough for her???

I agree with A, tags itch and should be removed from clothing.

kate

kid-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #258
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

What an awesome update!! OMG. That pic of the nurse shark is really cool. Love all of the diving pics and the resort is really beautiful. My oldest has decided that he wants to go to Hawaii for his senior trip also. At least i have a little to plan and save for it. (He's in sixth grade right now).

me (Leigh Anne), DH (Bart), DS 12, DS10
Tinks "SS" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #259
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
We were talking to one member of our group about the dive last night and she made a very true statement. Something along the lines of, if aliens came to the site they would think we were worshiping our gods, sitting in a circle of light just to observe these creatures. Made sense to me.
Just call them Neptune.

Quote:
Took more pics but I think there are enough underwater pics for one TR. Really enjoyed diving here and it was more than worth the detour. Beautiful water.
I don't think anyone's getting tired of the diving pics yet!

Quote:
Warning: Dive Geek Talk. Once you dive, you build up nitrogen in your body. If you dive deep enough and come up too quickly, you get what they call the bends. It was first discovered while digging the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge. The nitrogen in your system forms bubbles that expand on rapid ascent and creates pains in your joints and other areas of your body. In other words, it can mess you up. The same on the surface with going to high altitudes or flying in a plane. So, once we were done diving, we were relegated to staying on the surface and not going up into the mountains. We needed to “bleed” the nitrogen off before we could get on the plane.
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought about that in regard to the plane.

Quote:
The Royal Kona is a very nice resort. Great staff, nice accommodations and overall a good experience.
Looks like a great place. Unfortunately, as I do my research I'm finding that most of these places won't allow a family of 5 in one room.

Quote:
Up next: Flight back to Oahu and Welcome Home. AKA: I didn’t know I owned a place in HAWAII!
Can't wait to see it!
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #260
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Loving your report. We recently got back from a week in the Big Island and a week in Kauai.

Our snorkle/dive with the Mantas was a highlight of not only the trip but of my life!

Looking forward to more as we are coming to Oahu in December - my hubby won a 4 night trip to Waikiki and then we added on 6 nights at Aulani on our points!
May 5-12, 2007 POP + OKW Sept 27-Oct 5, 2008 Contemporary December 4-13, 2010 - BCV
March 14-17, 2013 SSPINGS
Next Trip December 7-15, 2013 - BCV
kathymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #261
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Sorry I have neglected the report. Was a bit under the weather for the last week + and wasn't up to continuing the TR. Nothing serious but spent a lot of time laid out. Celebrating getting back to normal by going to the Keys with a friend this weekend. Not sure if I am going to dive or not. Once I get back I will post more often.
cj9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #262
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Hope you feel better soon.

Somehow missed the last update. Definitely not tired of the dive pictures. Everything looked beautiful.

Glad the Pirate Princess is having fun

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #263
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Hope you feel better and enjoy your trip.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #264
PKWallaby
DIS Veteran

Hope you are feeling better and can continue your report soon.

I have to add that I have read (and enjoyed) your trip reports over the years and can't believe your daughter is already in college. My oldest is hitting the magical 15.5 over the weekend and can't wait to get his temps on Monday. I keep asking myself "where did the time go?" but no one is answering. The real problem is that I still feel like I did when we took him on his first trip to WDW (the day after I quit my job to become a stay-at-home-mom)...so who is that 6'2" young man looking down at me?

Thanks for sharing the great pics and stories of the wonderful trip the 2 of you were able to take. I was there in '95 (on company dime to obtain an insurance certification - plus a few days vacation/PTO) and I also remember the "blue blue" color of the ocean and the brown dryness of the landscape. Seems like yesterday (yikes - I am getting old!!)

Sorry, too much sharing...carry on when you can

Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today, Hope for Tomorrow...
PKWallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #265
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

Your dive pictures are just beautiful. I love the night pictures with the Mantas. I'm sure it was breathtaking.

I decided to give birth in August, so I am finally getting caught up. Reading TR was not a priority when I had a free minute. I, for one, am thankful your report is tortoise paced - I can manage to catch up and stay up with the pace now!

I cannot wait to see your Aulani pictures.
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #266
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:

We did see this guy hanging out to be weighed.

Holy ________!

Quote:
Our last sunset at Kona
Lovely, CJ.

Quote:

Really enjoyed listening to the waves at night. Very relaxing. Told a staff member at the front desk and she said that some people don't like ocean views. Scared of typhoons or something.
I lived in Japan for awhile. Sendai. Students were forever saying to me "oh no Lisa it's not the earthquakes that we fear the most. A typhoon will hit one day."

I had no clue - at that time - in my youth - what that *really* meant.

Sighing. Loudly. Sad.

[/QUOTE]

Quote:

Thank you. She is enjoying her experience at school. Last weekend a few of her new girlfriends went to NYC just to look around and go to tea. Sure the tea idea was hers. A couple of pics from that trip.

Loved them. I just ADORE NYC. I used to be someone who could care less about money or lotteries. But I would want to win for one reason: to live in Manhattan.

I laughed at your THANK YOU. As I was being both sarcastic and teasing about your money and it's grand disappearance up the east coast.

Quote:

No he isn't and don't encourage him. So I forgot when my vacation started once. OK, twice.

Quote:

Actually diving gives you a freeing feeling. If you are balanced properly you are weightless and free of the pull of gravity. It is so peaceful down there. Especially at night. Some feel claustrophobic with the mask and regulator. Fun hobby for me.
Oh Lord - maybe I should stop my hands from typing here. I LOVE the water. And I spend a lot of my time under the water.

But there is something about that mask - and feeling trapped - that I could never do it. I don't know why.

And here's the ridiculous. Are you ready? I saw this movie once. I have no clue what is was called. 70s. Elaine from The Graduate. And her husband - Katherine Ross and Sam _______. Anyway in this campy made for TV movie. People were being killed off. This woman was - oh Elliott is his last name - so this woman was swimming and someone pushed this button and a clear glass slowly slid over the pool as she was under water. THAT is worse than any blood and guts horror to me.

Yes I DID just say I can't scuba dive because of some obscure 70s movie.

Anyway it's sad. Laughing.

This summer I was jumping waves at Fire Island and jumping off a ten foot pier on day trip to Collingwood (Georgian Bay - Lake Huron). So . I don't get it.

Quote:

Next update will be soon.
I would be cordial and compassionate here .......

But I can't.

Stop being so bloody irritating and finish up this sucker.

Please.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #267
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

Anybody out there? Hint, hint.

kid-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: