Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

What can I put I our carry on?

Dumb question, but, what medication can be put in carry on? I packed all our OTC meds ( tums, gas x, sudafed, Tylenol, ibuprofen, stuff like that in our checked luggage. I also packed sunscreen, underwater camera, contact lens solution ( small bottle) stuff like that in checked luggage.
Only cuz I didn't want the fuss if any issues at security gate with any of this stuff in our carry on, and I figured I. The horrible event our luggage would get lost I could buy at a store once in Florida.
Anybody with answers????
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
got2sammies
Mouseketeer

From the TSA website:
"Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions. This includes:

All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition"

Double check the TSA website or your airline website to make sure about the size of the medications
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
mowatm
Earning My Ears

ALL medications are allowed in your carry on and do NOT count towards the liquid maximum allowed.

Past Disney Trips:
1987 (off property), 1989 (off property), December 2004 (off property), December 2005 (off property), March 2009 (All Star Sports), December 2009 (Pop Century)

mowatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
jasec2
Mouseketeer

I had my sons seizure meds in our carry on. I even brought it out to show them and it was not a problem at all. I was worried for nothing so don't worry about it.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

If it's a medication, I don't care if it's OTC or prescription, pill or liquid form, it's going in my carry on or personal item. I don't want to lose them. If they are not liquid, of course they wouldn't be a problem in a carry on anyway. If they're liquid, I will put them in a seperate clear zip lock bag and add that bag to the bin my 3-1-1 bag is in, that goes through the scanner, since meds (even OTC meds) don't have to go in your 3-1-1 bag of liquids and are not subject to the 3 oz rule. As long as you declare liquid meds over 3 oz (or contact lens solution for that matter), TSA doesn' have a problem with them being in your carry on. I may have a 3-1-1 bag with liquids/gels, then another clear zip lock bag with cough syrup, contact lens solution, my Victoza pen (for diabetes), a prescription rub on liquid pain med (Diclofenac), etc, in it. I've never had a problem getting through the TSA, with meds. I'm just careful to pull everything that needs to be declared (pills don't, liquid meds do).

I've been told by TSA agents that I don't need to pull the double ended needles I use for my Victoza pen, but still have a tendency to add those to the bag with my liquid meds/contact solution, just to be on the safe side. My mom went with me to WDW Sept 1st-8th and I started to unzip her bag that holds her nebulizer, expecting TSA would want to check it out. The agent asked me what was in it and then told me not to worry about it and just send it on through. I told him there were alot of unit doses of Atrovent solution in there and he again said they didn't need to see it, as the scanner would pick it up and they were used to seeing meds like that. So I asked about her insulin vials and syringes and again was told to just leave them in the carryon, as they were used to seeing diabetic supplies and they did not need to be declared. Coming back from WDW, I didn't even bother to get the nebulizer, it's meds, her insulin, nor her syringes out and nothing was said. They didn't even give them a second look. She also had a large bottle of nose drops and two bottles of eye drops (with only one bottle of eye drops being a prescription. The other two bottles were both PTC stuff). I had put those bottles in a clear zip lock bag with my bottle of contact solution, cough syrup, Victoza pen, needles, and Dicofenac. Again they didn't get even a second look. I had pulled that particular bag though and sent it through in a bin with my 3-1-1 bag.

When we took my grandson down there last Feb, I had liquid OTC meds for him (Tylenol, Motrin, cough medicine, etc). They were in my carryon in a zip lock bag that I pulled out and sent through the scanner, along with the quart 3-1-1 bag. They were all full size bottles.

Last edited by aubriee; 10-11-2012 at 02:43 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
chamonix

Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
Dumb question, but, what medication can be put in carry on? I packed all our OTC meds ( tums, gas x, sudafed, Tylenol, ibuprofen, stuff like that in our checked luggage. I also packed sunscreen, underwater camera, contact lens solution ( small bottle) stuff like that in checked luggage.
Only cuz I didn't want the fuss if any issues at security gate with any of this stuff in our carry on, and I figured I. The horrible event our luggage would get lost I could buy at a store once in Florida.
Anybody with answers????
You can bring any medications in your carryon. Do you bring solid meds or liquid? If solid, (like pills or tablets) no problem at all. You don't have to do anything "special" with them. If you are bringing full size bottles of liquid Tylenol, etc I would place them in a Baggie (only because I wouldn't want them to leak in my carryon!) and just place them in a bin with the rest of your stuff. It will pass TSA with no problem. you can also check them no problem if you check luggage, and as you mentioned, they can be replaced easily in Florida either way.
Star Wars Weekends June 2011 Polynesian

December 2010 Beach Club
Star Wars Weekends June 2010 Polynesian
~Tiki fest summer 2009~ Polynesian
Ho’omahana summer 2008 Polynesian
~Tiki fest summer 2007~ Polynesian
March 2007 Polynesian March 2006 Polynesian
October 2005 Polynesian
October 2004, March 2004 Polynesian
December 2003, December 2002 Polynesian

Disneyland Hotel 2001
chamonix is offline   Reply With Quote