Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Made a dumb choice...

Yes, I admit it!! Dumb! LOL

I went out last night and had a 2 drinks with friends after a meeting.

First off, I enjoyed my two drinks but they aren't allowing to enjoy it. Last week at dinner with a friend I had a baybreeze - the bartender at the restaurant asked me - vodka or Malibu - normally I use vodka - so I said Malibu lol

I ended up experiencing a headache 1/2 way thru out meal - I had that one drink... ended up drinking diet soda afterwards..
While I suffered with this sudden headache, I figured and said to myself that I was experiencing hydration -- we were at the zoo all afternoon with the kids.

I thought nothing of it, until last night... I had the 2 drinks and by the time I had finished my 2nd drink I experienced the same type of headache.

Could it be the Malibu ? Sure, too much of a sugary type alcohol..

That's not even the dumb move .. but I will stay away from Malibu from now on..

I came home, was exhausted with my headache, I decided to get straight to bed... I said, omy, i better take my meds before bedtime.. so I did.

I think that's the biggest dumbest mistake..

After about 30 min of laying in bed, I just didn't feel well.. Felt odd, heartburnish, anxious, etc.

I look my lexapro after 2 drinks....

I don't normally drink and it's not like it was alot, i just didn't think!

I think I intensified the medicine or am worried I really did a number on myself....

Here i sit at the computer, 3am and I can't sleep! My body feels weird and so does my mind, I am suffering from a little attack I guess, something the lexapro is supposed to take care of, but can it, being that I drank before hand.. I have never done this before... I am not a drinker... I just happened to have one last Friday night at dinner and now tonight, I actually don't normally go out in those social settings! LOL

NYC to Bermuda ~ Norwegian Breakaway ~ May 2013

NYC Inaugural Disney Cruise to Bahamas ~ May 2012 ~ Disney Magic

NYC to Bermuda ~ May 2011 on NCL Gem

ge0rgette2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
dbrn
Mouseketeer

Well, as you've said, it's a bad idea to mix alcohol and medication, especially certain medications. I can understand how it could happen, though, if you don't typically drink and weren't thinking about that when you took your meds.

Since you're concerned about the effects it's having on you, you could call poison control - they are very helpful in determining if there's anything you need to do. The number is 1-800-222-1222.
dbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

Hope you are feeling better by now. As a pp said, meds and alcohol usually don't mix. If it will ease your mind, you should put a call in to your doctor to run it by them and let them know you mixed alcohol and your meds. Does it say on the bottle not to mix the two?

Next time, stick with the soda!
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Ah, your key there is "heartburnish". You are probably experiencing wicked reflux from the Malibu and it has nothing to do with your lexapro + meds.

I am drinking "hard liquor" these days myself and cannot drink mixes, have to watch wine, and other alcohol. Usually I have a couple of shots of vodka or tequila (top shelf), couple shots of cranberry and a shot of 7up.

Did you take any heartburn meds?

Let me tell you that alcohol reflux makes you feel like you are going crazy and are going to die....Mine was so bad that my pulse was off the charts, felt like I was having a heartattack, sweating, panic attack, the whole 9 yards.

Bottom line it was wine. Something I normally drank for years suddenly turned on me in a bad way.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Lexapro isn't supposed to be mixed with alcohol.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your responses!

I'm okay this morning... I slept on and off last night - not the best nights sleep I've ever had..

Yes, I'm sure it was the 2 mixed at about the same time, I think I was home about 15 min before I took the lexapro ..

Malibu definitely gave me a major headache and I'm not going to have it anymore.

I've been on Lexapro for almost a year now and have had other 'beverages' and never seem to have a problem, then again, I've never taken them at the same time!!

I just wasn't thinking and made a MAJOR boo-boo!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Ah, your key there is "heartburnish". You are probably experiencing wicked reflux from the Malibu and it has nothing to do with your lexapro + meds.

I am drinking "hard liquor" these days myself and cannot drink mixes, have to watch wine, and other alcohol. Usually I have a couple of shots of vodka or tequila (top shelf), couple shots of cranberry and a shot of 7up.

Did you take any heartburn meds?

Let me tell you that alcohol reflux makes you feel like you are going crazy and are going to die....Mine was so bad that my pulse was off the charts, felt like I was having a heartattack, sweating, panic attack, the whole 9 yards.

Bottom line it was wine. Something I normally drank for years suddenly turned on me in a bad way.
Believe me, I've suffered with heartburn for over 20 plus years... And I'm not that old :D hehe

It could have been Malibu heartburn related... Unsure, I know vodka with my baybreeze doesn't give me this side effect, but then again, I didn't drink the vodka with my lexapro :D

Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
bankgirl05
DIS Veteran

I love Malibu Bay breezes!!! I believe the pineapple juice in it can also trigger reflux or heartburn type issues, and sometimes react with some oday!!!OTC medicines, so not sure about your Lexapro...

Hope you are feeling better, and get some rest tonight. Drink PLENTY of water today!!!
bankgirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Leota
DIS Veteran

Wine turned on me. I was a wine lover for years & now I can't drink it at all anymore. I haven't been a huge drinker since college. Only liking wine with dinner and a frou-frou drink on vaca or with friends. But now, I only have to odd frou-frou once in a great while.

What I really wish & Disney should pick up on this - I think bars/lounges/restaurants should invest some time in coming up with a Mocktail menu. nothing huge - but 3 or 4 delicious frou-frou punches. There are alot of people who either can't or don't want alcohol. I think it's an untapped money making market. We have one place here that makes Mocktails for me & they pop me for the same price as their high end cocktails. You can't tell me that's not a money-maker.
*~* Offsite 1973 ~ Fort Wilderness Cabins 1993,1995,1998 ~Disneyland, Offsite, 1997,1998 ~ All-Star Sports 1999 ~ Beach Club 2000 ~ Wilderness Lodge 2001 ~ Polynesian/Coronado Springs 2001 ~ Dolphin 2001 ~ Swan 2004 ~ Grand Floridian, Happy Haunts 2004 ~ Dolphin/Animal Kingdom Lodge 2005 ~ PO French Quarter 2005 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge / Swan 2005 ~ Swan 2006 ~ Swan 2006 ~ Dolphin 2007 ~Dolphin 2007 ~ Dolphin 2008 ~ Dolphin 2009 ~ Dolphin 2009 ~ Dolphin 2010 ~ Wyndham Lake Buena Vista 2011 ~ Windsor Hills 2011~ Swan 2012 ~ Bonnet Creek 2013 ~ Home from now on! *~*

Making our Florida Dreams Come True
Move In Day: June 10th, 2013.... Finally!!!

Leota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge0rgette2 View Post
Yes, I admit it!! Dumb! LOL

I went out last night and had a 2 drinks with friends after a meeting.

First off, I enjoyed my two drinks but they aren't allowing to enjoy it. Last week at dinner with a friend I had a baybreeze - the bartender at the restaurant asked me - vodka or Malibu - normally I use vodka - so I said Malibu lol

I ended up experiencing a headache 1/2 way thru out meal - I had that one drink... ended up drinking diet soda afterwards..
While I suffered with this sudden headache, I figured and said to myself that I was experiencing hydration -- we were at the zoo all afternoon with the kids.

I thought nothing of it, until last night... I had the 2 drinks and by the time I had finished my 2nd drink I experienced the same type of headache.

Could it be the Malibu ? Sure, too much of a sugary type alcohol..

That's not even the dumb move .. but I will stay away from Malibu from now on..

I came home, was exhausted with my headache, I decided to get straight to bed... I said, omy, i better take my meds before bedtime.. so I did.

I think that's the biggest dumbest mistake..

After about 30 min of laying in bed, I just didn't feel well.. Felt odd, heartburnish, anxious, etc.

I look my lexapro after 2 drinks....

I don't normally drink and it's not like it was alot, i just didn't think!

I think I intensified the medicine or am worried I really did a number on myself....

Here i sit at the computer, 3am and I can't sleep! My body feels weird and so does my mind, I am suffering from a little attack I guess, something the lexapro is supposed to take care of, but can it, being that I drank before hand.. I have never done this before... I am not a drinker... I just happened to have one last Friday night at dinner and now tonight, I actually don't normally go out in those social settings! LOL
As PP mentioned, some medications cannot be mixed with alcohol. In addition, alcohol is a migraine trigger for some migraine sufferers.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leota View Post

What I really wish & Disney should pick up on this - I think bars/lounges/restaurants should invest some time in coming up with a Mocktail menu. nothing huge - but 3 or 4 delicious frou-frou punches.
You can just order a virgin version (glad I'm typing that and not saying it) of your favorite cocktail. I used to drink virgin daiquiris and margaritas when I was pregnant.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Half a glass of wine gives me a migraine any more.

I'm not a big drinker but anymore it's a crapshoot if I'm going to get a migraine or not. Makes me sad because I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner every now and then...but the migraine afterwards isn't worth the risk.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
Half a glass of wine gives me a migraine any more.

I'm not a big drinker but anymore it's a crapshoot if I'm going to get a migraine or not. Makes me sad because I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner every now and then...but the migraine afterwards isn't worth the risk.
My sister started having this issue. She takes an aleve prior to drinking and has had no more alcohol-induced headaches. It might be worth a try.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: