Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
JessNewbs
Mouseketeer

Lady Liberty

After a little advice about the Statue of Liberty. Just wondering how far we can go up the statue as I have read a mixed bag of answers on this one. My DS has requested this as one of his must do's for the trip! I have been told that it is closed to go up inside permanently but then I read online that it was only closed for renovations that were meant to end this month. Anybody been lately and have the low down on it?

JessNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessNewbs View Post
After a little advice about the Statue of Liberty. Just wondering how far we can go up the statue as I have read a mixed bag of answers on this one. My DS has requested this as one of his must do's for the trip! I have been told that it is closed to go up inside permanently but then I read online that it was only closed for renovations that were meant to end this month. Anybody been lately and have the low down on it?
Cant help you with the recently bit but when we climbed it last year the guy sitting at the crown told us they were putting lifts to the top as it meant they could get more people up there each hour i am not sure when it was suppose to reopen though.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
xxpinksaltxx
Earning My Ears

I know it's open for our trip in mid November. They take groups up (6-10 people) every 10minutes. But it's not running on full schedule for the rest of the year, only select days. Starting 2013 it will be open everyday for the climb to the crown.

Forgot to add, you need to book your tickets in advance as they are selling pretty fast.
xxpinksaltxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
DizOz
DIS Veteran

We did the statue in late 2010.

You can go right to the crown but tickets are limited and you need to book early online. You are allocated a time and need to be there at that time. When you check in you get a special wrist band that gives you access to the top. You go through security checks before you get on the boat and again before you get into the base of the statue.

The lift goes to the pedestal level only (I doubt it will ever go further as there is not room) and then it is a climb of 250 steps straight up. Unless you are in reasonable condition it is quite a bit of exercise. Steps are fairly narrow and a bit like climbing a step ladder around and around in circles. My legs felt like jelly after I reached the top and were sore for days afterwards.

The room up in the crown is fairly small with a few small windows to look out of but the view is great.

It is really a once in a lifetime experience.

DizOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

I have booked tickets for our November trip (the statue is reopening end of October for her birthday).

Tickets are selling out quickly!

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
dabecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
JessNewbs
Mouseketeer

Thanks ladies Just one last question, Do you think that kids could do the climb?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
JessNewbs
Mouseketeer

Sorry and where exactly is the pedestal part?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessNewbs
Sorry and where exactly is the pedestal part?
My understanding is that the pedestal is the bit from the ground to her feet/ bottom section of her robes and you then have to climb up the height of her robes and the viewing is from up at the crown. It is a BIG climb.

We were really psyched to do it but she was closed for renovations when we were there and you were only allowed onto the island but not inside the statue
Old 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessNewbs View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw a news report while we were there about the statue re-opening very soon. I didn't see the exact date sorry, I didn't pay much attention as we weren't going to NYC this trip.

Andona
Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Children must be at least 4 foot tall to do the climb.

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
marvel
DIS Veteran

we did the crown in 2011 and it was a great experience and our kids 11 and and 13 had no problems climbing. Everytime we see the statue we now recall being up in the crown, if you get tickets I would definetly do it.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #12
JessNewbs
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone Now the difficult task of deciding if my 5 year old daughter will be 4 feet by then.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #13
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessNewbs
Thanks everyone Now the difficult task of deciding if my 5 year old daughter will be 4 feet by then.
I bought tickets for my girls (5 and 6) and I'm keeping my fingers crossed they meet the height guidelines. Tickets are very reasonable (in fact I think tickets to the crown and tickets to the island were the same price) so I decided to take the chance.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: