Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #31
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

GREAT updates. I'm glad you found more paper. Where is Carnation Gardens where you saw the little show? I didn't know that existed. I loved all your pictures.

Hope we get more soon!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #32
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Dear tksbaskets,

Thank you for reading!

OK, I think it's the Plaza Gardens Stage. If you're facing the castle, it's to the left...not terribly hard to find but not really standing out either.

http://www.visionsfantastic.com/visi...zagardens.html

(Except I'm not sure they have food anymore.)

Love,
Eeee-va
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #33
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

What a great report ~ great fotos, May is lovely, I'll have to show her to DD.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #34
OctoberDisney
Mouseketeer

Hi Eeee-va!
Great trip report...thanks for sharing. We are going for similar dates in 2010 so I love reading about your trip.
One question...I don't think you mentioned where you did the cookie decorating? My kids will LOVE that so we'll have to look out for it. Do you remember where?
Thanks!!
OctoberDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #35
designhawk
Earning My Ears

I'm curious, too. Please let us know!
designhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #36
Littleprincess2010
DIS Veteran

Just finished reading through your trip report and I LOVED IT!!! Great detail and your sense of humour made it a really easy read.

Christmas at DL looks absolutely amazing!!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 AM   #37
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

When Innoventions is busy, you know it's raining

Dear DISboards,

I'm SO sorry for never replying! I forgot about my trip report and assumed everyone else had too.

I did not see the cookie decorating in 2011, though, so I don't know if it still around. At the time it was outside the area that is now the Jolly Holiday Bakery!

It has been way too long but I'm going to see what I can do here. Enjoy this historic trip report!

So to be clear, on Saturday, December 12, 2009, Miss D and I started out the day in DCA. This is back when DCA opened later than Disneyland many days, so I am guessing we were tired.

The one memory time kind of washed away was the rain. Yes, it was raining pretty much all day!

Yay! Soarin'! (9:42 AM)

We then went to Toy Story Midway Mania (10:25 AM). I was Player 2! (Sure lost a lot of accuracy, though.)

OK, not sure if we did anything in the Hollywood Backlot area of DCA, or if I just liked this picture.

Then we hopped over to Disneyland and went on Miss D's favorite ride again, Indiana Jones! (11:20 AM)

Then another spin (get it?) on the carousel. You can see the rain. Well, people wearing ponchos, which is close enough. (12:37 PM)

We met up with Mom at some point and ate at the Hungry Bear, just because it was one of the few places we could eat and stay dry. Long lines. (Chicken sandwich, pre-menu change.) It was annoying because there were no tables where it was dry, except two apparently being held by one woman. We tried to sit down and she said they were taken. She was evidently waiting while her family got food. After a minute of awkward standing with our trays, a family who had brought their own food in said they were done (they weren't, but they were close) and gave us their seats. We were just about done eating when the woman's family finally came to sit with her, so she really could have let us sit down for a few minutes.

Anyway. The sandwich was good.

I think that was when Mom had to leave to go home. The trip was too short for her, and she didn't get to see the sun enough, and her fibromyalgia was really acting up during the trip. We did go again in October 2010 and that was OK...and the trip in November 2011 was fantastic!

Anyway. It was rainy. I don't think the boats were running to Tom Sawyer's Island.

I believe this picture means we went through Haunted Mansion Holiday again. (1:44 PM)

Then I ogled the Princess and the Frog merchandise in a cute little shop. (2:03 PM)

Pretty sure we went on Pirates after that.

If I recall correctly, we went to use our Fastpasses for Indiana Jones, but they just had it merged in with the regular line. So the line extended a bit longer than usual. It annoyed me a bit, but it also didn't seem fair to leave a small standby group stranded out in the rain while Fastpass holders got to stay dry! So it was OK. My first picture is from 2:37 PM and we could see the control room by 2:47 PM. Why I wanted a blurry picture of the control room, I'm not sure. Do you have any ideas?

I'm not sure why we had the idea to go to Tomorrowland in the rain, but that is what we did. (3:01 PM)

Space Mountain was actually a 35-minute standby time, but we had FPs (3:17 PM...so you can see all my timestamps were about 4 minutes slow. Argh!)

It was SLIPPERY in that queue! A woman fell down right in front of us but her family was there and saw to her.

We rode it and it was great, of course.

Then we went to a place where few mortals dare to enter...that's right...Innoventions! It was THAT cold and rainy! The CMs seemed excited and pleased...I believe one told us it was warm and dry inside. Probably the busiest days for those CMs. We watched the intro/product placement they did at the start (electronic "musical instruments" you could play without any skill). I doubt the CMs are used to having much of an audience.

We explored the House of Tomorrow. This made me laugh...mid-21st-century sampler? (4:14 PM)

What amused me more than anything was a group of people just hanging out in the "family room" watching WALL-E. I think it kind of hints at the demographic of Disneyland guests...a large proportion of locals and people who visit long enough that spending time doing something you could easily do at home is no big deal. (Actually, I had an annual pass this trip, so I was close to that myself! Probably would've watched a bit myself, but all the seats were taken. )

We even saw ASIMO, which was kind of creepy, kind of cute, kind of cool. And they had character meet-and-greets, so we met Eeyore and Tigger, I believe.

And I think this envelope is full to bursting. I'll send more soon. And I mean it this time.

Love,
Eeee-va
Old 08-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #38
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Part IX - 12/12/09 - Ghost Town and Time Machine

Dear DISboards,

I hope this letter finds you well.

Back in the halcyon days of December 2009, I'm pretty sure we actually rode Space Mountain AGAIN after Innoventions...like 5:17 PM. Maybe using Fastpasses. Wow! And then I don't know what...we moved to DCA so I wonder if maybe Soarin'? Don't worry, DISboards. I have made a point of getting clearer photos of things I do for future trip reports.

Then we moseyed on over to A Bug's Land which was DESERTED. (6:15 PM)

We maybe could have ridden anything we wanted (and I don't think it was raining much!) but we were shy to ask because none of the rides were running as no one was in the area except CMs! I need to take more trips with extroverts.

Paradise Pier is always beautiful. Even in 2009 it was beautiful. Even more beautiful in the rain! (6:21 PM)

Subtle hints of Christmas.

This is one of my favorite rides! I'm sure it wasn't running and I'm sure it would not have been pleasant if it was (unless maybe you had a ShamWow for the seat). (6:25 PM)

Yes, we pretty much just took some pictures for a bit.

Toy Story Midway Mania was about as close as it gets to a walk-on. I don't love the ride, but my main regret from this trip was not riding it like 10 times in the span of 90 minutes, because I think we could have come close. (I have a picture from outside the ride at 6:30 PM, and my score from 6:40 PM.)

By 7:07 PM I had my Lucky Fortune Cookery food and Miss D had her Mexican food.

We then toured the tortilla factory. COMPELLING! (7:39 PM)

You know, I wonder if Monsters Inc. was down...I seem to recall trekking over to it at least once, only to find it down.

Fortunately, MuppetVision 3-D is warm and dry. Am I weird for liking the pre-show more than the show? The scrolling words make me laugh. (7:55 PM)

Oh. Well, Monsters Inc. was up at 8:24 PM, at any rate!

We moseyed on back to Disneyland and rode Indiana Jones with little wait (newsreel footage at 8:50 PM).

New Orleans Square! (9:03 PM)

We got in line for Pirates of the Caribbean and were off at or before 9:22 PM.

Went straight to Haunted Mansion Holiday, which I believe was a walk-on.

Then we took Disneyland's time-travel machine, i.e., the train. I recall the seats being wet...ick! (9:39 PM)

Part of me wanted to get off in Tomorrowland and check the wait times for Space Mountain. Another part of me wanted to get to the room and use the hair dryer to dry out my shoes. We chose the latter.

And the next day was departure day! But in 2009, it cost just a few dollars to upgrade from a 4-day parkhopper to a 5-day parkhopper, so we had 5-day hoppers and will be visiting again. I'll write to you soon! But not immediately! I am tired and need to go to bed.

Love,
Eeee-va
Old 08-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #39
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Part X - Interlude - Thoughts on Rain

Dear DISboards,

People who love rides and hate crowds often say that it's great to go to Disneyland in the rain. I myself have fond memories of these cold, rainy days at Disneyland.

Obviously, though, Disneyland in the rain isn't all great. For me, the biggest minus is being cold and much, much worse, having cold, wet feet. My umbrella served my body fine, but not so much my feet. I was wearing water-resistant shoes and I still resorted to putting plastic grocery bags on my feet over my socks.

(OK, DISboards, I didn't want to share that last part since I thought it was at best silly and at worst dangerous, but I read other people did it too...an interesting idea was to put on socks, a grocery bag, and then another pair of socks over the bag! By the way, if you're going to do this, check your bags for holes, as many grocery bags have holes in the bottom. I ended up with one fairly-dry foot and one not-at-all dry foot. Even after changing socks! Also if you are going to do this, don't sue me if your foot falls off or anything.)

Anyway, if it hadn't been for those wet feet I think I could have played in the parks all night.

But I'm not sure I'm remembering how I really felt back then. Now I look back at pictures and ask myself things like, "Why did we go back to the room? It wasn't even 10 PM yet!" Well, obviously, it was cold and my feet were wet and I was tired. But I just remember the fun and see the timestamps and wonder why I didn't push harder!

Still...if I ever see a forecast for 2+ days of real rain in my trip again, I am going to purchase some rain boots and then push through. And ride Toy Story at least 5 times in a row.

Another disadvantage was the shows and parades being canceled (as well as some rides closing, of course). But it's quite unusual for Disneyland to get 2 days of rain in a row, and most (not all) vacations are longer than that. So if you see rain you can USUALLY plan to see the things that will be impacted by rain. (And for goodness' sake, please remember that parades will NOT run in the rain!)

Finally, in December 2009, Disneyland stayed open for the posted hours even if it was raining. I believe it was later that year, or if not, then in 2010, they started closing early in cases of extremely inclement weather. It makes all the sense in the world, of course--why should they be running fully- or mostly-staffed when there are just a few thousand guests in the parks? But it reduces the rainy-day advantage, especially if you're warm and have rain boots and really could close down the park if they'd let you.

All that said, DISboards, I know you usually have your vacations planned out and the best you can do is hope it won't rain. Some people fear that rain will ruin their vacation, and with small children I can see where it may not be fun. But I just like to remember that rain changes things at Disneyland but it's not the end of the world. And when it goes away it usually leaves reduced crowds and beautiful scenery for pictures!

Love,
Eeee-va

P.S. - If you have to use a hotel hair dryer to dry out your shoes, be sure to leave plenty of air space between the nozzle and your shoe. Otherwise your hair dryer will overheat and short out and leave you hoping and praying it starts up again.

P.P.S. - Not that that happened to me.

P.P.P.S. - Hojo, the hairdryer started up again just fine. We're cool.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #40
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Welcome back! It was a nice surprise to get the email that your thread was active again. It does look the the rain really cut down on the crowd. Very nice since otherwise walking around in soggy sneakers isn't such a great thing

Thanks for posting.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #41
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Welcome back!!

May I recommend stuffing your shoes with newspaper to soak up the water? That is what we did in February and it works.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #42
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Dear Tksbaskets,

Thank you! It is great to see you too!

Dear Kaoden39,

Newspaper???? Really???? Wow. Will do!

Dear DISboards,

Can you believe this is the last day of my Super-Fun Christmas Season Trip???? SAD!

So pretty!

Peter Pan Flight, always first. At least, if you want to be efficient.

Then we went on Alice in Wonderland, I believe, followed by Space Mountain!

I think there were some birds circling by Big Thunder Mountain. Interesting.

We may have gone on Pirates of the Caribbean...the park doesn't look busy at all, does it?

We did ride Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Then to Miss D's favorite (or one of them), Indiana Jones.

This is our LAST DAY! Will popcorn make it better?

So we did Small World Holiday.

Then we had to see Tiana's Showboat Jubilee AGAIN because I liked it and knew it wouldn't be there our next trip. Still very glad we saw it 3 times! (Even if I hadn't seen the movie yet.)

Then I wanted to make sure to get a picture of this display on Main Street...Disney might change it some....year...decade...maybe...

Then we made our way to White Water Snacks because we'd wanted to try it. Miss D did not much care for it in that they did not let her get her pizza a la carte (it came with a salad, which she wouldn't eat).

Which means I got a free salad.

I got the nachos...the chips weren't that fresh or something weird; I don't know.

Absolutely worth it though, because look who we saw!

We went back to DCA and rode Monsters Inc. again.

And saw Drawn to the Magic!

Jessie...sniff...

And then back into Disneyland for one last ride....

Still my favorite.

It's been a pleasure writing to you all! I will reply here one last time when I've started my pre-trip report for my next trip which is coming up in..less than 3 weeks??? Eeek! Thank you so much for reading!

Love always,

Eeee-va

Last edited by Eeee-va; 10-11-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #43
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Was your last ride Space Mountain? You go again in 3 weeks? WOW that will be fun. Christmas time then at DL? Enough questions?

TK
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #44
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Dear Tksbaskets,

Yes! I guess from that photo it might look like we did Captain EO last, LOL, but nah.

We are going to the Halloween party, Halloween night! So excited! Then there is more but I don't want to spoil my next report, so I'd better get started on writing it!

Love,

Eeee-va
Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #45
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

I'm glad you came back and finished this! I remember reading it when you started it so long ago. I loved Tiana's Showboat Jubilee. The music was so catchy. My son and I got to be in the show and it was a highlight of the trip for me.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your upcoming trip.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: