Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
WishUponAStar3
Believer In Big Dreams!

MHP 10/19 game-plan question

Hi all! I have a trip planned to Disneyland for the Halloween Party next Friday the 19th, followed by a day at both parks on Saturday the 20th. Since we have the whole day on Saturday to do the parks (though we'll be driving back to LA in the early evening) I'm thinking it makes the most sense to skip entering Disneyland before the party and only be in the park during MHP hours, to avoid insane crowds and lines. Does that seem like a good plan, or will we need the extra 4-7pm time window?

If we do skip the few hours before the party, our plan in that case is to do a nice dinner with our group around 5-6ish. We were thinking Napa Rose at 5, but then I wondered if it might make more sense to already be in Disneyland to avoid party lines. Are the lines to get in heaviest at 4-5ish or 6-7ish on party nights? Just trying to figure out the optimal time for us to get to the park that won't involve an overwhelming wait at the gates!

Many thanks in advance for the feedback!!
WishUponAStar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

Your party date is now sold out. That means crowds, no matter what plan you use. However, as long as you and your group are prepared for this and stick to your game plan, you can still have a great time at the party.
First off, doesn't dinner at Napa Rose start at 5:30 pm? The lounge may open at 5 pm, but I thought the first seating was 5:30 (and even then, you may still have to wait up to 15 minutes or so for your table -- voice of experience talking here!). That will set your schedule back by 30-45 minutes. Personally, I would use the early entry hours to DL. Yes, the overlap hours will be crowded, but you will avoid any lines at the turnstiles. And you can ride any top priority rides before the party starts -- that way you can focus more on the party exclusives during the actual party hours. We usually eat in DL before the party starts -- it saves us time waiting in long lines for food later and saves us trying to maneuver through crowds to get into the park since we're already in.
Lastly, your dates coincide with one of the busiest weekends in October -- UEA -- so you might not get everything done in both parks on Saturday. Trying to get some things covered during the early party entry hours could make your Saturday a less hectic.
Just a thought here, could you end your DLR visit with an early dinner at Napa Rose on Saturday? That might be a nice way to end your visit on a relaxing note.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
WishUponAStar3
Believer In Big Dreams!

Thank you SO much for the advice, luckyrabbit! I went ahead and switched our dining plans to Blue Bayou at 5:30 on MHP night so we can already be in the parks by the time the party starts, and then we're ending our trip at Napa Rose the following night at 6pm.

I totally didn't realize we were going on a busy convention weekend when we booked the trip!! Do you know if the 19th-20th weekend is likely to be as crowded as last weekend? I've been hearing so much about the crazy crowds on Oct 5-7, so I'm hoping our dates will be less packed!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

Historically, UEA weekend has been very crowded. But this year, one of the large school districts in Utah will be taking their break this coming weekend, so maybe your dates will be a little less packed because of that. But be prepared for serious crowds. That way, if it isn't as bad as you expected, great!
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
mathmom32
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyrabbit
Historically, UEA weekend has been very crowded. But this year, one of the large school districts in Utah will be taking their break this coming weekend, so maybe your dates will be a little less packed because of that. But be prepared for serious crowds. That way, if it isn't as bad as you expected, great!
It's not just one district. It's a few districts in the same big, family friendly county. I live in that county. Our district has had fall break the week prior to UEA for the past few years. My understanding is that since the change it just contributes to big crowds both weeks. I know a LOT of people who choose to go during this time and it's always crowded.
mathmom32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Tennor
New to DISboards, not new to DISney

I'm one of those from Utah County who is making the trip this weekend. Halloween Party on Friday, then the hopper pass following!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
WishUponAStar3
Believer In Big Dreams!

Wow! Guess I better get mentally prepared for the crowds and strategize as best as possible, so we can still experience all the good stuff we love.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Mary09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishUponAStar3 View Post
Are the lines to get in heaviest at 4-5ish or 6-7ish on party nights? Just trying to figure out the optimal time for us to get to the park that won't involve an overwhelming wait at the gates!

Many thanks in advance for the feedback!!
It sounds like you don't need this info anymore but just in case... Last Fri. we entered at 6:30 or so and the line was short to get in, a minute or so. There was a strongish flow from DL to DCA, but no biggie to get through.

I don't know if the Utah school break weekends are any better than the ones around the Phoenix breaks (which just ended), if it's any consolation. Phx metro is only a 5-6 hour drive and has about four times as many people as SLC metro.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
WishUponAStar3
Believer In Big Dreams!

Good to know- thanks Mary!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
JadeDarkstar
Dis Veteran Pirate dragon mom

id go early and be at the turnstile at 330pm get in at four anf tour a few hours get food (i wouldnt do BB that night if you could change it i would just do something fast. BB means youd get out right as party starts and waist the free time you have to get things out the way. You cant see everything in one day. Even one in half days.

I just did the oct 5th party look down and see we only got 5 or so chrs and 5 or so trick or treat stations parade and fierworks.

Also hint when you go watch the fier works Be on the left side not in the middle or the right side. You have to be on the left to see the full moon.
JadeDarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: