Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #121
tinkerbellerina
Mouseketeer

I'm really enjoying your report, especially your pics, navigators and details. You are convincing me that we should take advantage of the kids sail free offer.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #122
vleeth
I heart Disney

I am loving this trip report!!! These are the first pictures I see of the port. 44 more days and I'll be there!
vleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #123
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleeth View Post
I am loving this trip report!!! These are the first pictures I see of the port. 44 more days and I'll be there!
I know...I haven't seen many floating around of the terminal yet either. I hope this gives some perspective to some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellerina View Post
I'm really enjoying your report, especially your pics, navigators and details. You are convincing me that we should take advantage of the kids sail free offer.
Yes!!! You should. I priced it out and it is a really good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARCATS07 View Post
What a sight to welcome the ship to a new Port!!!
It was so neat. I felt so special to be on that first sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
I'm so excited, each update is getting closer to being onboard

I can't wait to see all of your pictures of the Magic. I want to sail on her almost as much as I do the Fantasy. I wish they would put her in NYC and go to Bermuda one day b/c I think that is where our next big cruise might be. It would be so much easier for us to drive to NYC.

Too funny that Skip doesn't know it was a Disney cruise. You will probably mention it one day in the future and he'll be surprised. "You went on a Disney cruise?!?!"

I know you said this report would be slow moving due to your other trip coming up, but don't you think it would be easier to have this one done by the time you travel again? (Can you tell I love reading about your trip?)

I have priced out tons of cruises lately too. We already agreed to take 2013 off but it's going to be hard. I can't believe you priced out Carnival for a 3 night cruise. Isn't that the ugly ship you see behind the Dream at Port Canaveral with no balconies? That would be hard to go to after the Dream. I have looked at the newer Carnival ships but just can't seem to look at the older ones no matter what the itinerary or price might be.
I wish I could...but I edit each picture and it takes so much time to do so...so I will try to go as fast as I can still I hit that wall and have to stop.

Yes...that would be the Carnival ships. Though I have seen pictures in side and they aren't all bad. I think the ones that sail longer cruises are much nicer though. If I could get one of the newer ships on a short sailing I would do it, but it would cost more too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
OK - all caught up on the pictures. And I thought I was the only one who took a picture of myself in the bathroom mirror.

Wow - that poor car with no tires. Yikes!

Great group shot of your gals!

Jen - you really should be the photography that takes hotel pictures and posts them on the internet. Wouldn't that be fun? (at least for awhile....)
I wasn't taking a picture of myself...who me? that was the mirror I was photographing...um yeah...thats it.
I do love to take pictures, but as a job it would probably make me nervous, as I can take some really bad ones too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
I wouldn't want to cruise on the really tall ship. I watched a show a few months ago about cruise ship safety, It was recommended to go with the lower ships as the top heavy ones would roll over easier. That was enough for me to say no high ships for me!
I know I have heard you say that before...and I go blah blah blah when I hear it. The Dream does look kind of top heavy doesn't she? And then I have a flash back of the posiden adventure movie.

Last edited by jenseib; 10-14-2012 at 09:19 AM.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #124
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I decided it was time to take a potty break and took a few pictures on the way.

This is the kids club registration area.

Then it was time! They were announcing boarding and we gathered our things. When number 2 was announce, it was a race….the place went crazy. LOTS of people had 2’s. We all walked together to start with, but a lady with her stroller and family decided to step in front of us and fold it up and she got put a stop to Brook, Lisa and I. They started moving too and made it pretty clear they wanted to board before us. Really? She couldn’t see that she just separated a group of people wearing matching shirts? So we walked fast and Brook made a pass…after a bit I did the pass too and she gave me a VERY dirty look. Lisa was stuck behind them and I think the lady took action NOT to be passed again. So I said to her, “My friend got behind you and she is part of our group, will you let her around, and she flat out told me no, I won’t let her.…..what a Witch with a capital B.

We went down the long hallway to get to the ship and they had photographers set up there to take the welcome aboard photos. We made a stop and we all were caught up with each other. Crazy lady and her family on the other hand had bypassed it and kept going.

We had a nice photo taken, but I don’t think any of us actually bought it.

We then headed to have our cards swiped. Carolyn, Susan, and Shelly got through right away. Lisa wasn’t far behind. They stopped Brook as her photo was from her last cruise and she was wearing a hat, so they needed a new one. I then went to another line and got swiped and headed up the stairs to meet with Lisa and we waited for Brook.

As we walked down the gangway I said we needed to think of a name to have announced for us…but we are not good with quick thinking evidently, because none of us could think of anything clever.

A peek of the ship from the gangway.

When we got to the doors, we still hadn’t thought of a name and the CM basically just asked our 1st names and we were announced that way.

We walked in and I looked up and all around and my first thought was WOW……………........................
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………..
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……………………….

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………

This Atrium is sooooo SMALL. It looks big in pictures, but compared to the Dream it is TINY. That was probably my only major disappoint in the ship. Now it isn’t really small and it is beautiful, but it was the very first thing I noticed….smaller ship means smaller atrium. As time wore on, it came to where I never noticed how much smaller it was.

We were stopped by a CM and told we could go eat lunch right away at either Parrot Cay or Topsiders and that all rooms were ready already. YES!!! We had boarded the ship at 11:50 AM and rooms are not supposed to be ready till 1:30 PM. We had hoped that since this was a first sailing coming into port with a pretty much empty ship that this would happen.

Now to find Carolyn and gals.
Aha! There they are….getting interviewed by a local news station.

This is the footage from the interview. I am not sure how long this link will stay active though.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=8820698

The lady had info wrong too. She said this is a 6 night sailing and it’s an 7 nighter. Carolyn said she was kind of anti-Disney and wanted to know why a group of only adults would ever even consider sailing on Disney.
Oh well…not everyone gets it.

I had to get a quick shot of this too.

And this

We separated to go to our rooms and said we would meet back up in the atrium and then head off to Parrot Cay for lunch. Our bellies were starting to rumble a bit.

Brook and Carolyn’s gang both had ocean view rooms and were down on deck 2 right next to each other. Lisa and I had a veranda room on deck 5 towards the aft.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #125
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Wow... Having never taken a cruise, I love that you took all the boarding photos... it gives a great visual overview of what to expect... lots of similarities to boarding a plane...

That Donald is really in a cute costume... I'd have wanted to rush him too...

I guess that Cruise Ship Expectations mirror resort expectation a little bit...
like your initial disappointment in the Dream's atrium after the Fantasy kind of like staying at the newest Deluxe hotel and then going back to an older one... I think that so far it looks lovely... so I 'll be curious to see more photos...

(Doesn't the ship also depend on your destination and departure location?)

This is great...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #126
TinksMomma
Mouseketeer

I had a feeling your complaint was about the atrium, and I'm sure my hubby will say the same thing! Glad to hear that it didn't make a difference once you were onboard!! I sailed on the Wonder years ago and don't remember it as being small so I think it's just a comarison thing...LOVING your report!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #127
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Wow... Having never taken a cruise, I love that you took all the boarding photos... it gives a great visual overview of what to expect... lots of similarities to boarding a plane...

That Donald is really in a cute costume... I'd have wanted to rush him too...

I guess that Cruise Ship Expectations mirror resort expectation a little bit...
like your initial disappointment in the Dream's atrium after the Fantasy kind of like staying at the newest Deluxe hotel and then going back to an older one... I think that so far it looks lovely... so I 'll be curious to see more photos...

(Doesn't the ship also depend on your destination and departure location?)

This is great...
Yes, it's kind of like boarding a plane.....though security isn't as strict with liquids...though I read on cruise critic someone was told they couldn't bring small liquids on...and thats wrong, you are allowed to.

The Magic Atrium seemed so much smaller than the Dream. I wil lcompare with a better memory in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksMomma View Post
I had a feeling your complaint was about the atrium, and I'm sure my hubby will say the same thing! Glad to hear that it didn't make a difference once you were onboard!! I sailed on the Wonder years ago and don't remember it as being small so I think it's just a comarison thing...LOVING your report!
It was nice, but not nearly as big. But I was fine with it. No where else on the ship did it really feel smaller.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #128
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

What cute pictures with Donald! I can just see you ladies bum rushing him! LOL JK

I love the way you take your pictures. I can almost imagine walking through the terminal.

Rude people, again like a cc card, they are everywhere you want to be.......

Mmmmm food. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #129
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I have never been on the Dream or the Fantasy, but when I saw your photos of the Magic's atrium, I have to say I was fighting back the tears. I do so miss this ship. Still, a month from today, we can rekindle our acquaintance.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #130
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
What cute pictures with Donald! I can just see you ladies bum rushing him! LOL JK

I love the way you take your pictures. I can almost imagine walking through the terminal.

Rude people, again like a cc card, they are everywhere you want to be.......

Mmmmm food. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
These girls have priorities!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I have never been on the Dream or the Fantasy, but when I saw your photos of the Magic's atrium, I have to say I was fighting back the tears. I do so miss this ship. Still, a month from today, we can rekindle our acquaintance.

Corinna
I kept her nice and safe for you!

She is beautiful.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #131
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post

You crazy southerners. So if you want a pepsi...do you say I'll have a pepsi? LOL
Catching up on your TR, and laughing at the Coke/Pop discussion.

If a place serves Pepsi products, and you say that you want a Coke, they'll know what you're talking about!!

I always laugh at these type discussions on northern vs. southern sayings!

Also, I noticed your rental car had a Georgia tag. You should have "pretended" to be a southerner while you had the rental. DD & I always do that. If we get a rental car with a NY tag, etc. , we try to talk like we're from there, since we have the tag!
(silly, but just a fun little thing we do!)

Loving your TR and pics!!!
Mom/Daughter Birthday Celebration! June 2012 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post45286013
Mom/Daughter Christmas TR! 2011http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2851142
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
mousetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #132
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousetravel View Post
Catching up on your TR, and laughing at the Coke/Pop discussion.

If a place serves Pepsi products, and you say that you want a Coke, they'll know what you're talking about!!

I always laugh at these type discussions on northern vs. southern sayings!

Also, I noticed your rental car had a Georgia tag. You should have "pretended" to be a southerner while you had the rental. DD & I always do that. If we get a rental car with a NY tag, etc. , we try to talk like we're from there, since we have the tag!
(silly, but just a fun little thing we do!)

Loving your TR and pics!!!
I have such a bad fake sounding southern accent that I would be noticed right away. I can pull off the Canadian accent though.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #133
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

Canadian accent eh?

Sailing on the Magic again! Nov 29, 2015!

------
8 night Magic Cruise - Jan 18, 2013

Paradise Pier Hotel May 20-26, 2012
WDW August 7-14 2010
2nd DL trip! May 18-25, 2004
1st DL visit... 1 day rushed trip May 2001
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #134
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

I feel like I'm forever playing catch up!

I love departure day, so much excitement! I'm determined to take advantage of the Magic being so close to us, I just wish there were some summer sailings, they are all at times when we would have to take the kids out of school...
Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #135
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

I decided to take a study break and look up your TR. I didn't realize you'd have so much up already. Oh well, its been a fun read.

Did you tell me your aunt's house is near the zoo? I know a few people who have mansions around there.

That was odd that nobody honored the lines when you boarded SW. I always fly Southwest out of Columbus and have never had any issues with people not lining up in the correct places. I usually encounter people who are very particular and want to make sure nobody gets ahead of them that shouldn't, so you'll have several people asking what number you have.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: