Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #406
MaggieBailey
Mouseketeer

DH and I have no kids (but 3 fur babies <3) and scrimp and save to get to WDW as often as we can. We live about 600 miles away from all of my family, and 2,000 from all of his - and they get grumpy when we tell them we are saving for Disney and can't spare the extra to go visit them. (to drive around everywhere to see people who can't make an effort to come see us ever, but get mad that we don't make an effort to see them... really? :P ) and then we get the "What is there for you to do there, its not like you have kids!" I applaud the people who go there with kids - it looks like some serious hard work!!
MaggieBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #407
dnsmills
Disney Obsessed

Bump because I love reading everyone's stories.
Art of Animation - Dec 2012
Disneyland - October 2014
dnsmills is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #408
Jays2013
Mouseketeer

We heard from a number of people when we took our then-15-month-old DS to WDW. "He's not going to remember it!" "That's way too young!" Etc.

ONE: He might not, but WE will. It was a trip to survive the fact that we all survived the past year, which included caring for an infant with a disability and a heart defect, making it through that heart surgery and the recovery, etc, and adjusting to our new normal. We needed that trip.

TWO: He might not, but that doesn't mean he won't enjoy it. He had a blast. The photos of a beaming 1-year-old make me smile everytime I see them.

THREE: I scrapbooked the whole thing. My now-8-year-old DS loves to look at it and show his brother. Especially now that we're planning to go back.

I can't think of a thing I regret less.

Me DH DS1 (9) DS2 (5)

---
April 2013 Art of Animation Nemo
Feb. 2006 Pop Century
Nov. 2003 Coronado
Sept. 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge (honeymoon!)
Three trips as a child,
including one stay at Port Orleans French Quarter
Jays2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #409
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran

Saturday at epcot i over heard a woman saying that in the land pavilion there is a dinosaur ride. She continued this elaborate story to include a cast member giving her extra fastpasses for this ride because she loved it so much.
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
thumbalyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #410
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays2013 View Post
We heard from a number of people when we took our then-15-month-old DS to WDW. "He's not going to remember it!" "That's way too young!" Etc.

ONE: He might not, but WE will. It was a trip to survive the fact that we all survived the past year, which included caring for an infant with a disability and a heart defect, making it through that heart surgery and the recovery, etc, and adjusting to our new normal. We needed that trip.

TWO: He might not, but that doesn't mean he won't enjoy it. He had a blast. The photos of a beaming 1-year-old make me smile everytime I see them.

THREE: I scrapbooked the whole thing. My now-8-year-old DS loves to look at it and show his brother. Especially now that we're planning to go back.

I can't think of a thing I regret less.

What a great story! I still remember family trips to parks such as Disney as a very small child, and they are wonderful memories! You will be surprised what we can remember even at such a young age!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #411
ErinsAuntMimi
Earning My Ears

Have to add my then 6 yr old DS's story.

On the way to the grandparents in 1998, we stopped in Ocala at the Disney center there where you can purchase tickets. (Our plan was to go for a few days after the grandparent visit.) We had been in the car awhile so we spent a good bit of time... looking at the pictures, watching the promo videos of the parks, window shopping the "stuff", picking up a few freebie things - stickers and candy. Once the tickets were purchased we headed back to the car. As we settled back in for the rest of the drive, DS pipes up: "THAT WAS FUN!"

Me: What was fun?

DS: DISNEY!

Me: (trying NOT to laugh) Honey, that wasn't Disney. That's just where we bought the tickets we are going to use in a few days. There's WAY more than that!

DH: (quietly to me) Shoot, if I thought that's all that would have made him happy I wouldn't have bought the tickets! (He was kidding!)

It is one of our favorite Disney memories.

(DH) (Me) (DS 22)
ErinsAuntMimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #412
TowMater92
Mouseketeer

I've had relatives and friends ask me about Disney World which is great I love talking about it. I'll explain to them how to use FP's, mark maps for them and go over them, give them ideas on how to save money on food and how to make ADR's, how to get around to the parks and other stuff you can do like mini golf, DQ, movies at DTD etc. So far my relatives that have gone using my DVC staying at the BWV(three different families) two have came back and said they got bored? When you ask them what they did the didn't go to any fireworks, didn't go to a water park, no mini golf, DTD and one of the families didn't even go to DHS and they were staying right next to it a the BW? The third family listened and had a great time.

One friend I worked with that I gave all the info to came back and gave me a gift to thank me he and his wife had a great time. He said they took the maps and tips I wrote down for them to the park everyday and had a great time and all the info I gave them made there trip great. They're already planning another trip. I've also had close friends not tell me they were going, so they asked me nothing and came back missing a lot of thing and they know I've been going to WDW for years.
TowMater92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #413
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADnNOLA

What a great story! I still remember family trips to parks such as Disney as a very small child, and they are wonderful memories! You will be surprised what we can remember even at such a young age!
I still remember eating a PB&J on New Year's Eve...when I was two. I am very surprised at what I can still remember.

If I had gone to Disney when I was two, that would've been awesome to remember!

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #414
traviesojmt
DIS Veteran

Location: Wherever the USAF sends us, which is currently Colorado

I was at a birthday party over the summer and listened to a dad talk for a long time about their Disney vacation. I chuckled quietly to myself while he was explaining how much they all loved riding The Rolling Stones coaster. It was their favorite ride. They rode it many, many times. I kept my head down, but I really wanted to ask how they rode it that many times and never noticed that it was Aerosmith instead of The Rolling Stones.
1996 - Day Trip**2000 - All-Star Sports**2001 - POFQ**2005 - Shades of Green/Animal Kingdom Lodge - 12 DAYS YEAH** Aug 2006 - POFQ - 10 Days** Feb 2007 - Pop Century - 10 days**June 18-21, 2007 - Beach Club Resort - 1st trip without the kids.**June 20-July 2, 2008 - SOG**May 26-June 6, 2009 - Beach Club/Contemporary**May 30-June 4, 2010 - POFQ **May 28-June 8, 2011 Coronado Springs**May 29-June 8, 2013 - Beach Club/Animal Kingdom Villas
traviesojmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #415
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoywin View Post
When I was planning my honeymoon, I got a few of the 'you can use the same tickets for WDW and Universal' comments from my coworkers. I gently corrected them.
My memory could be playing tricks on me, but at one time wasn't there a third party ticket called the Orlando Flex Pass or something that was good at different parks (Disney, USF, SW, BG)?

edit: I just looked it up. It includes most everything EXCEPT Disney.

Universal Studios Florida®, Islands of Adventure®, Sea World of Orlando®, Sea World Aquatica®, Busch Gardens® Tampa Bay, and Wet 'n Wild® Orlando.

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #416
awoogala
Mouseketeer

I just got into a conversation yesterday with someone who is going to disney for the first time. Others chimed in:
1. It's really just like a big shopping mall. You can go once, but that's about it.
2. (from someone who has never been there) I guess we should try it once, but we like to do things and relax on our vacation. It's just a park.
I didn't try to change their minds.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #417
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post
My memory could be playing tricks on me, but at one time wasn't there a third party ticket called the Orlando Flex Pass or something that was good at different parks (Disney, USF, SW, BG)?

edit: I just looked it up. It includes most everything EXCEPT Disney.

Universal Studios Florida®, Islands of Adventure®, Sea World of Orlando®, Sea World Aquatica®, Busch Gardens® Tampa Bay, and Wet 'n Wild® Orlando.
In California you can get a "Flex Pass" ticket for DLR and US and the Disney web site even sells them.

It just shows you how differently they market the two parks.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #418
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays2013 View Post
While he may not recall it as an adult, odds are pretty good he will recall it for at least a year.

Another important thign to know about kids that age, their brains are developing rapidly. Stimluation of a brain that age wil have payoffs throughout their life. Lots of research to support the importance of giving infants lots of stimulation/education, and great nutrition! Payoffs are likely lifelong.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #419
disneynay
Mouseketeer

At the food & wine festival this weekend at the ocean spray cranberry bog I heard someone say "the only cranberry I am interested in better have vodka in it".

disneynay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #420
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

"Going again? Aren't there other places to vacation?"

Me: "Sure! However, they are too far away, too expensive and don't let me act like a 3 year old on a sugar rush."

LOL!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: