Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

That's great if you think it will provide a more relaxing vacation, but I can tell you that I would never leave my phone at home, especially after what happened on our last WDW trip. We had a family emergency back home and without my phone, I would not have been able to keep in touch, but also not upset the kids by having to leave. After that trip, I learned to never judge because you just never know.....
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #17
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

Good point about the lines app

DH and I both have iPhones, it's always hard to put them down. I only us mine in the parks for said lines app and I love it for photography.

I do discourage DH bringing his 3DS though.

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Senator Tressel
DIS Veteran

LOL. I don't think it sounds relaxing at all to not have a phone. How will you know what time it is? How will you know what the lines are like? How will you know what the temperature is going to be in four hours?
Senator Tressel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
alikennedy
Earning My Ears

We don't take ours. The roaming charges are outrageous (we are from Canada). . We have done just fine in DisneyWorld and Disneyland without. We check our email every couple of days (didn't have free wifi) and family knows where we are staying in case of emergency. You won't need them.
alikennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #20
Mickey1Fan
He had five fingers and was wearing white gloves

I do not have a smart phone and even if I did it would not go to WDW with me. I have a plain ordinary cellular phone that I can makes calls and text, it is all I need. When I'm on vacation, the people who need to know, know where I am.

Last trip...WDW Port Orleans French Quarter and DCL Disney Fantasy September 2013

Dreams Take Flight Group Leader 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
http://yyz.dreamstakeflight.ca/
Mickey1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

We will have our phones with us, since we drive down. But they are only for emergencies. On all of our past trips they have stayed in the room safe. Now that there is WiFi in the parks we MIGHT bring one with us only to check the lines app, but that will be it. No emails, facebook, twitter or game playing. We've each got a camera and a watch (I know!- I feel like a fossil sometimes). If we want to keep in touch with family, we can get online when we get back to the resort at night. No wonder the battery on our phone lasts so long!
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #22
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

We're turning ours to airplane mode. I want to use our iPhones for recording video and I think it's important to have them for emergencies, but I do want to disconnect this trip.

July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #23
disneydad78
DDC #106
More important its about having some FUN!
We just LOVE its a small world!!;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnFan View Post
We're turning ours to airplane mode. I want to use our iPhones for recording video and I think it's important to have them for emergencies, but I do want to disconnect this trip.
I agree. We drive a rental car, and I always plan for emergencies. We take them, and we nolonger own watches because our cell phones have a clock on them. Wife and I never have understood why people put every sec of there day on facebook.
DISDADS member #106
(DD 16)(DS 12)(DS 8)(DW 32)(ME 35)
OffSite ('92) OffSite ('05) BonnetCreek ('07) BonnetCreek ('08) POR ('09) POR ('10) POR MVMCP ('11) POR MVMCP ('12) upcoming POR MNSSHP ('13)
disneydad78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
KristiKat
DIS Veteran

I'm going to say you are very brave, I could never do it. I'm not one of those people you see on the phone texting, talking and facebooking all the time but I need it for things like taking quick pictures or video. Using the Lines app as some have stated already. I also keep copies of reservations and stuff on my phone so I don't have to carry around papers for proof if needed. I'm also one of those parents that takes a pic of the kids in case something happens and I panic and can't remember what they are wearing.

Me DH DSS13 DD8

1982 offsite,1987 The Disney Inn,1991 Caribbean Beach Resort,1997 Fort Wilderness,2011 & 2013 Port Orleans Riverside,2012 & 2014 Shades of Green
KristiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
dizzneebabe
SOME IMAGINATION!!!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

The new My Disney Experience App is awesome and now that it's available, I can't imagine not using it! We just got back yesterday and I used it constantly to update our party on lines in and around the other parks (when contemplating hopping). With nexgen (not sure if that is the exact name) on the horizon, the smart phones are going to become invaluable in making the most of your time.

I also used it to clock our mileage via Nike app. It was fun knowing we logged 7-8 miles+ each day!

My DH kept tabs on work email...yes it's vacation, but he felt much better keeping on top of things.

Also,being able to send pics to friends/family at home via messaging or FB is great for us. Not to mention, our DSs were at home still in school and holding down the fort. They are 18 and almost 20. We could never be out of contact.

To each his own, I guess! Enjoy your time "off!"

Growing up 1974-1985 Aunt Joyce's house
With DH and 2 DS's...Sept. 1998 Offsite @ Vistana** Sept. 1999 Offsite @ Orange Lake**Sept. 2000 Offsite @ Embassy Suites**Sept. 2001 BWI**Sept. 2002 POR and RPR**July 4th week 2003 YC Concierge**
Sept. 2006 BWV/BCV/WL

March 2007-FINALLY DVC MEMBERS! June 2007 HHI**Dec 2008 AKV 1st trip "HOME!"**MY 40th BIRTHDAY!!!July 4th 2009!!! Cruise & SSR**
Dec 2009 AKV KIDANI
July 2010- HHI**Dec 2010 BLT**March 2011 BWV**May 2011 SSR**Aug 2011 SSR**Nov 2011 BLT**June 2012 SSR**Oct 2012 SSR**Jan 2013 OKW**March 2013 DCL Fantasy and Easter at BCV!**Jun 2013 SSRr**
Oct 2013 AKV weekend **Nov 2013 BWV**
Jan 2014 AKV RUN DISNEY 10K**
March 2014 BCV**July 2014 OKW**HALLOWEEN 2014 BLT**Thanksgiving 2014 AKV**

dizzneebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #26
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

The phone comes with at all times. DH does not have a phone. Just me. Well he HAS one, but it stays in his car 24/7. We own a business and must be available for emergencies 24/7 even when on vacation. LUCKILY, on our trip 3 weeks ago there was nary a peep from the phone as it sat snuggled in my pocket. I was happy to use it only for GPS purposes on the drive down to and around Orlando, and for the Disney app to check on wait times and FP returns.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #27
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapBoy77 View Post
So after much pondering and planning and wondering... my wife and I have decided that our smartphones are not coming on the trip with us.

The more I thought about it the more it became apparent to me that the phones would only pose as a distraction between us and the time being spent with our boys. Why are we going to Disney World in the first place I asked myself? We are going to Disney World to escape from the reality of our everyday life. Do we really need access to the "outside" world while we are on vacation? We don't have jobs, blogs, or any last minute deals that require us to have our phones with us at all times. Why would we even consider bringing the phones with us? Especially considering the ridiculous trouble it becomes when crossing the border into the US.

Everywhere I go I see parents with their kids and the parent is "zoned" out on their phones practically ignoring the child. I myself have been guilty of this. So has my wife. Another scenario I see is both parents on their phones, little Sally is texting and little Johnny is on the DS and they are all the same table having a meal at McDonald's.

We are taking our kids to the Happiest Place On Earth and if you think I'm going to risk a single moment of their... actually OUR experiences together as a family because I need to check peoples tweets or Facebook status then you would be mistaken.

The phones they are staying at home. On this trip I'm packing my undivided attention because that is what my boys deserve.

Have any of you ever considered leaving your smartphones at home? Or do you believe you can't live without them? I'm not saying its going to be easy. I'm already panicking that I won't have the Lines App with me. But then again people back in the day didn't either.
Good for you! DH and I don't even have smart phones...I can't bring myself to pay the outrageous prices for data

We were just having the same conversation the other night. We were out on a rare date, at a concert, and everyone there was busy recording on their phones or playing with something...and it's like, whatever happened to being present in the moment?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
Alice1386
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) I wish more people felt like you.
2) You are on vacation and very few people need phones in the parks.
3) BRAVO.
Couldn't agree more with this

On our last trip I really noticed how many people seem to be absolutely attached to their phones. We had our phones on silent and refused to bring them out unless one of us got separated. We spent more time talking and enjoying every moment... Even the boring waiting in line ones and even made some new friends in line!
Alice1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Have fun with that. I'm not going anywhere without my cell phone.

I do store information in it (ADR confirmation numbers, etc.) and I like to keep in touch with people at home. I also have it as a back up camera and it came in handy on our last trip when I forgot to recharge my digital camera overnight and the battery died in the middle of our day at DHS.

It's also my point of contact on the off chance I am separated from either of my children. My daughter has my cell phone number inside a bracelet she wears when we go there and she has instructions to have a CM call me if we are seprated. We got separated on our last trip and when I found her she was handing a CM her bracelet. My son is younger so he wears one that says "If I'm lost, look under my bracelet." My number is underneath.

Since you are traveling with children I would suggest you consider how someone would contact you if you got separated. Maybe grab a prepaid disposable you can use.

I've also invited my parents on our next trip and we won't stick together the entire time so we'll need to keep in touch.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #30
wahoostampingirl
DIS Veteran

Our trip in Nov. will be the first time I'll have an iPhone and I'm very excited about it. We're the family that you see at a restaurant where everyone has a device in their hand. I probably text my dh more than I talk to him!

In all seriousness, I can understand the desire to disconnect while on vacation. I don't check my e-mail while on vacation, but I will be using the Lines App and taking pictures with my phone. My dh checks in with a work a few times while we are away. I guess the phones aren't necessary, but they sure are nice to have.
wahoostampingirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: