Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #46
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

You know, you could have avoided Atlanta traffic just by adding only 1 extra day and driving around it. Like to the coast. As far as fuzzy Disney math goes , this "avoiding Atlanta during a weekday" excuse is stretching it!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #47
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

Chapter 2. Another Change to the Trip, and 6 month fly by.

Instead of having a few more chapters I am going to lump everything else into here, and just break it up into parts.

So we are set on the resort set on the dates, set on the transportation.

WRONG!!!

We have changes resorts, changed, dates, might as well change the transportation aspect of the trip as well.

About the time that we changing everything else, I figured out how much it would cost to drive down with gas, hotel, food etc.

Then I looked at flights, total cost for flights was about 400 more than driving, not much, but still a good chunk of money.

So looked into flights a little more, and southwest was running a deal that when you sign up for there credit card, and make a purchase you would get 25,000 bonus points in your account.

hmmm, sounded interesting.

so I quickly figured out that was enough points for some free flights.

So i called, was approved for the card, and the next day used my account to book the flights HOME from disney.

Home? you might be thinking okay you ding dong, you have to get there first, but there was a method to my madness.

the flights home were about 10 dollars more than flights down to disney.

convert the price of the flight to points, flights home were roughly 26,000 points, more than they would be giving me.

convert the price of flights to points for the trip down and they convert to roughly 24,000 points.

less than what i would get as my bonus. so i had to wait one week till my billing cycle of the card credited my points and prayed that the price of flights did not go up and ruin my plan.

they didnt and i had enough points in the account to book one way tickets for all of us to disney.

the only thing i had to pay for was the $2.50 security fee for us three.

so the four of flew to disney world for a grand total of $7.50 (noelle was free)

add up the cost of the flight there and back and we would actually save about $100 over the cost to drive both ways, not to mention the difference of a 2 hour 20 minute flight to 21 hour car ride.

so everything was completely set, with the trip, just had to pay it off now.

the next six months consisted of my parents taking my sisters family to disney for there turn, and them checking out AoA and excited for our trip.

many family camping trips, candis birthday, hanging out at home, doing things around the region.

Noelles first birthday party celebration. of course it was pixie themed and everything miniature and bit size.

Grandpa and Grandma took the whole family, mine and my sisters to Indiana Beach for a long weekend getaway, The rides are not disney but the kids have a blast and enjoy it.

I may or may not have taken a picture on a moving zip line that i was not suppose to.

We had a blast climbing along the 3 story tall rope/obstacle

even enjoyed the pool throwing parker back and forth.

KEEPING THE SURPRISE FROM PARKER

The Surprise for parker was easy to keep.

Sometimes anyway.

Here are some things he asked us the last few months.

Parker questions listed and our responses back to him at different times

"Daddy When can we go to disney world?"
-it cost alot of money buddy
-well sissy needs to be a little bigger still

"Do you guys have enough money in your piggy bank to go?"
-not yet buddy it costs alot of money.

then the one that followed that that almost broke us down and told him

"well do I have enough money in my piggy bank that we can use?"
-no you save your money buddy

then another dozzy

him singing this song as we are driving to grandparents for dinner one night about 3 weeks before go on the trip

"sometimes you just gotta, gotta go to disney world"
-our response to that was just laugh and tell him how cute that was, when asked where he heard it, he said i just made it up because i want to go to disney world.

there were a few other variations and questions but those were the ones that stand out to me.

KEEPING THE SURPRISE FROM CANDI

this one was a mix of easier and more difficult.

started out easy. first few months flew by, i told marv, and of course or TA dawn knew.

cover almost blown...about 3 months old, i was texting marv back and forth talking about it, well the conversation wasnt right back and forth some time was going between texts, with both of us being busy at work.

so fast forward about an hour, and i am at home sitting down for dinner, when i hear my phone ding for a new message, we dont check them while we eat, but for some reason candi had to run to the living room, and on her way back by, she glanced at the phone and said it is a message from marv.

then sits down and says "does AoA stand for art of animation?"

me always quick on my toes said smiled and said, yes, i was going to try and surprise you later, but since we could not get in there, marv was going to surprise you with coming down for a few days and using some DVC points to get a room there so we could use the pool and what not.

the charm and the quickness at which i said it she, instantly believed me and all was well again.

from that point forward me and marv were more careful with our texting. lol

fast forward about 4 weeks from the trip, and candi says, i tried to look up our reservation online, but could not find anything...i even called POP and she says that they dont show us staying there.

me deer in the headlights look but still calm, say i have no idea why she couldnt find it.

she then told me that the CM said it was probably because we booked through a TA that it didnt show up.

i then told her that our reservation didnt show anything important just our dates or travel....so nothing to look up.

NEXT hurdle was when the ME tags showed up, luckily i got the mail first that day and took them and hid them, just showed her the mickey head luggage tags.

Next hurdle was the huge package of info that dawn sent us, including resort info, schedules etc...so i had to take all the AoA stuff out, i redid them and printed out POP info in its place...not alot of work but still sneaky sneaky.

we were down to days before our trip and all was set...i just never brought up the bright yellow luggage tags that needed to go on our bags the days before we were packing.

Parker saw our luggage in our room, and when he asked what it was out for, candi just said it is easier to store away our summer clothes in and get out or winter stuff...he bought it.

my parents came over the day before our trip, and gave the kids gift cards to spend, but told them that they wanted to just let them have them for the next time they go...parker was just thrilled he had a card with mickey on it.

next up will be the morning of the trip and how we broke the surprise to parker and candi, and heading out.

here is a disney picture for this update, last night we had the minnie head sugar cookie that we got with one of our snack credits before we left...

verdict, not worth it, very dry and no flavor, parker even made a face and didnt want to finish his part, and asked for milk.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #48
FauntleroyFAN07

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
You know, you could have avoided Atlanta traffic just by adding only 1 extra day and driving around it. Like to the coast. As far as fuzzy Disney math goes , this "avoiding Atlanta during a weekday" excuse is stretching it!
i like that might be stretching it a bit but still like it.

although i like my leave three days early to avoid it better

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #50
carlaewalter
Earning My Ears

yay for surprises! Subscribing. Can't wait to hear more.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #52
redheadedmermaid73
Mouseketeer

I can't believe the lengths you went to just to keep this all a secret! I would have burst after about a day!
*The opinions and comments in the above post do not reflect the views, opinions, policies, or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all other included areas.*

DH (25) ME (25) Our furbabies Nani Shadow Penny
Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #53
mari360
MiSka MoUSka MiCKeY MoUsE !!!!!!

Joining in the fun!!!!!! Can't wait to read more!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #54
FauntleroyFAN07

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
what a great update! I love how it almost got blown several times but you worked around it.

Parker is too cute, it really does break your heart when they keep asking to go and you can't.
i have always been really quick on my toes, it sure came in handy for this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlaewalter View Post
yay for surprises! Subscribing. Can't wait to hear more.
thanks for readinga long with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Yep, Marv is trouble. No doubt about it.

I can't believe you went as far as printing out Pop info. to put in your packet. Impressive!
yep he sure is.

hey sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

i knew it would help throw her off the scent if she was getting suspicous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadedmermaid73 View Post
I can't believe the lengths you went to just to keep this all a secret! I would have burst after about a day!
some days i wanted to, but i knew if i was going to do it, this was the trip to do it on...so might as well try as long as i could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari360 View Post
Joining in the fun!!!!!! Can't wait to read more!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
thanks for reading along, hope you enjoy it.

Blessed by the Best
Old 10-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #55
alwayspooh
Mouseketeer

Wow I would luv to try to pull off a surprise to the world but I don't know if I could keep quiet for that long. You did a great job!!

Can't wait to hear the next update!
2001 - CSR (DD 1st trip)
2003 - PC W/MOM
2004 - CSR
2007 - ASMU (DD #2 first Disney vacation)
2008 - 1 DAY MAGIC KINGDOM FIX

Me DD12 DD7

Old 10-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #56
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the heads up, Dan! I finally have some office space, so I know I will enjoy reading along, and catching up on everyone's reports!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #57
katt789
DIS Veteran

I'm in!! I've read some of your previous TR's and loved them, your family is adorable!! I'm excited to read all about the surprises and the trip, and how you liked AoA!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #58
FauntleroyFAN07

everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayspooh View Post
Wow I would luv to try to pull off a surprise to the world but I don't know if I could keep quiet for that long. You did a great job!!

Can't wait to hear the next update!
it was a job, but i think it was well worth it...now you find out later if my son liked it or not...in the next chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, Dan! I finally have some office space, so I know I will enjoy reading along, and catching up on everyone's reports!
hey, hows it going...glad you are here, just make sure you catch up on mine first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
I'm in!! I've read some of your previous TR's and loved them, your family is adorable!! I'm excited to read all about the surprises and the trip, and how you liked AoA!
thanks for coming back and reading along on this one.

thanks for the kind words, pretty soon we get into the meat and bones of the AoA and break down the resort.

but a sneak peak we loved the resort... actually only one thing we didnt like about it, but wasnt a huge deal.

scratch that make it two things...but will share them shortly.

Blessed by the Best
Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #59
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

All caught up! I love a surprise trip! I can't believe you also surprised all of us! Well, except Marv and Dawn, I guess.

Such cute pics of the kids! I can't believe how grown up Parker is these days! Tell Candi she looks great!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #60
shannon47142
DIS Veteran

excited to see another trip report from you guys!!! such a fun back story

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: