Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
hollieplus2
Tags always make people happy
I kept saying chewable
My toes might appreciate some alone time

POR Review 9/28 to 10/5

This was our first stay at POR. We have previously stayed at FQ, POP, AKL, ASM and CSR. We had wanted FQ but wasn't available for free dining so we booked a Royal Garden Room.

Let me just start off by saying that while I was super excited for the royal room we were all bummed about not getting FQ which was our favorite resort. We had been over to POR before and it felt like it wasn't "disney" enough to us and felt crowded. This was our only expectation of POR when we arrived.

We had done online check-in arrived about 5pm and there was no wait. Now I'm not one to do room reqeusts and I've never asked to switch rooms but if I had done standard check in I probably would have requested a different room. We were in Parterre Place and was all the way at the end toward FQ in room 9596 ground floor. The only reason I would have reqeusted a move was because we were running the ToT 10 miler and it was a hike after the parks compared to FQ. I LOVED the room and it was beautiful and quiet and peaceful though so I'm glad we stayed.

For those runnning races this was a host resort and let me tell you they handled it wonderfully. There was almost no wait for the race busses and they were out front and away from park busses so it didn't mess anything up. They handled the race and all the "extras" that go with it better than we could have asked for. I would not hestitate to stay at this resort if your running a race.

Park busses were great. We drove everywhere except MK and Epcot since we didn't want to deal with the TTC but when we did ride the bus even after closing down MNSSHP we never waited more than 10min and only had to stand after the party. They actually had 2 busses waiting when we left the park that night. I have zero complaints about the busses.

Mousekeeping was wonderful, staff was excellent and very friendly. Never had any issues with anything. The only thing that bothered us was breakfast in the morning. It was sooooo busy and there were tons of empty tables but no chairs??? People were hoarding chairs at breakfast. The other meals were fine and this was the only place it was crowded.

So, at the end of the trip here's our final impression. I LOVED LOVED LOVED this resort and it's my new favorite. We headed over to FQ for the bingets and I didn't realize how loud and energetic that resort is. POR was soooo quiet and peaceful. The royal rooms were awesome and I would only stay in one of those again they were that awesome. I'm surrounded by boys so it's nice to have something girly. My 12 year old DS didn't mind the "princess" room either and POR has become his favorite over FQ as well. DH still likes FQ simply for it's size. I've told him that we might not always get building 5 and that our walk could be longer over there and for me it woudln't be worth it then. He conceeded that if he didn't get bldg 3 or 5 he would choose POR over FQ.

So there you have it. Room was beautiful, resort was peaceful and quiet, busses were great, race hosting was awesome, staff was attentive and wonderful, breakfast was hectic. That about sums it up. For anyone thinking of switching to POR or nervous about their ressie I hope they have as wonderful a time as we did!!!!

July 2006---Pop, ASMovies, Animal Kingdom
September/October 2007---POFQ
December 2009---WDW & DCL
September 2012---POR/ToT 10 Miler
hollieplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Lagoonie
Earning My Ears

Thanks for posting this! We are headed to POR in Feb so I can run the princess 1/2 - so everything you said about the race is right up my alley! Quick question - how was the transportation handled b/t POR and WWoS? Just wondering for packet pick-up and the chances of us being able to go to AK that day too.

Thanks!

Trip #1 - offsite 1983
Trip #2 - Disney's Polynesian Resort July 1984
Trip #3 - Disney's Polynesian Resort July 1987
Trip #4 - Disney's Wilderness Lodge August 1995
Cast Member - WDWCP Fall 1997
Trip #5 - Disney's Wilderness Lodge July 2007
Trip #6 - Disney's Polynesian Resort July 2011
Planning Trip #7 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside February 2013
Lagoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
hollieplus2
Tags always make people happy
I kept saying chewable
My toes might appreciate some alone time

It was wonderful. We went to expo 2x since I love to shop every time we headed to the front there was a race/expo bus waiting. They drop you off to the left of WWoS so driving might get you closer but not by much. When we left the expo again a bus was waiting. The ride to the corral took about 10min was smooth. Bus was full but it's a mears bus so no standing. They had one come right up after hours so others weren't waiting either. They handled everything wonderfully. Even no wait at the after party. It was great!!!!

July 2006---Pop, ASMovies, Animal Kingdom
September/October 2007---POFQ
December 2009---WDW & DCL
September 2012---POR/ToT 10 Miler
hollieplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great trip. POR is on my list of where to stay next.

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Great review! We did the Ten Miler too! Stayed at CSR though. We love POR. Stayed there this past Feb when I did the Princess. We had a rental car but I used the buses to the race and they were awesome. We are staying there this coming Feb for the Princess again! We have stayed at FQ once and I didn't like it at all. I love how peaceful and beautiful POR is. Thanks for the review!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: