Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #91
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl View Post
I think the photographer did a really bad job here. All of the meats, chicken and fish look overcooked and dry, not succulent or inviting. Honestly the meals look very unappetizing and this comes from someone who loves veggies. Overcooked fish or chicken is like rubber. These photos made the meat look rubbery. Perhaps when it opens the meals will look less 'ancient'. Sitting under a heat lamp does this ya know.
As an adult I am personally disappointed that the dessert options for adults are limited to a choice of cupcake (I hate cupcakes) or a cream puff! Really, french cuisine couldn't stretch to a macaroon,crepe or a profiterole! At the price charged I think dessert could have been made more creative. As always people can vote with their pocket books and I intend to. If I want good french cuisine it won't be at BOG. I can go through during the day to see the decor.
...?

Anyway, nice that it's not processed but would it kill them to offer a vegetarian or vegan option? I know they'd probably do one up but ...
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #92
Patience
DIS Veteran

My 5 year old would totally scarf down the mahi.

I am one who was disappointed with the kids menus on our trip last year, especially the QS kids menus. The meatloaf looks dry in the pictures and the pulled pork does not look like the pulled pork I am used to here in the south but, overall, I am pleased that this menu has real food on it, instead of just junk.

I am also wondering what they offer for vegetarian kids. We are not vegetarians but I do make a lot of vegetarian dishes for my family. My girls love the southwestern quinoa I make and my oldest daughter's favorite meal at home is my mediterranean couscous served with spanakopita. I think there is a quinoa option on the adult menu. I wonder if they would serve a smaller portion of that as a vegetarian kids option?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #93
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post
The pulled pork looks like a turd on a plate. It really does.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #94
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

We are thrilled with the kids menu at bog! Way to go Disney, Looks delish.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #95
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiKat View Post
While I like the kids menu and think it's a great idea, we have a picky eater in our family. My stepson is very picky about what he eats. When he lived with his mother she never made him eat veggies and fruits. He basically got to eat whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted cause she didn't want to be a parent and was more concerned with being his friend. His diet consisted of hotdogs, chicken nuggets, fries, chips, and soda. Basically if it was junk he ate it. Once my DH got full custody it has been a constant battle to get him to eat anything but junk food. He is almost 12 and still sits at the table and cries cause he doesn't want to eat the good meal that have been put on the table. Sometimes it's just about what it looks like. This is just not something we want to suffer through on vacation so I canceled my plans to eat at BOG even though I was very much looking forward to it. We will continue to try and hopefully I'll get to eat there one day.
It seems silly to totally cancel a meal at a restaurant you really want to eat at because of one picky eater in the group -- whether that's a 12YO or an adult. If your picky stepson doesn't like anything on the menu, Disney will be VERY accommodating and work to fix him something he does like. They deal with allergies, gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, special diets and the like every single day. Even if he's still stuck in "hotdogs, chicken nuggets, fries, chips and soda", the folks in the BOG kitchen will be able to give him something he'll eat, as long as you tell them when you make your reservation that there will be someone at the table who will be on a "special diet".

If you're "very much looking forward to it", then eat there and work with the restaurant (and your stepson) to find something for him. People with food restrictions much MUCH more severe than you will be.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #96
DisneynBison
Mouseketeer

I think this looks great. This is more how we eat at home a meat, vegetable, maybe some fruit and not deep fried. My daughter eats what we cook for ourselves and will like this menu. It looks like a great menu and I believe she will have a hard time choosing which one as she would like most of them. She will get plenty of nuggets and hamburgers at the other restaurants.
DisneynBison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #97
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

I just showed my just-turned 10 year old the pictures and the menu. She was practically drooling and was very excited to see REAL food for kids.

We do not do the dining plan, so she can order what she wants.

For the record, my DD does not like chicken nuggets, pizza or hot dogs or Mcdonald's style hamburgers. She will eat mac and cheese, but does not want it for every meal. So, for our family it is good to see real food on the menu. It has been a challenge for years going to restuarants at Disney that only offer garbage and call it food for kids.
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #98
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post

The menu is crazy for kids. I understand a break from the standard chicken nuggets and mac n cheese....but how about something they will eat??
There is nothing on this menu my boys WOULDN'T eat. We allow "crap" into their meals very rarely...every few months or so. When mom is too lazy to cook and dad is at school. Tonight might be one of those nights, LOL!

How is chicken, pork, fish, meatloaf, not kid friendly?

A normal meal should consist of a (non processed!) fresh protein, a good chunk of veggies/fruit, and a whole grain. Which is exactly is offered here.

tonight's meal - a standard one in our house - is tofu marinated in thai seasonings, with matchstick carrots, celery, and peppers. Over quinoa. I will probably mix in some kind of bean, too.

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #99
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Actually for us this would be great as our kids love to eat food like this! I for one really like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
I clicked on the link and then on the kids menu link but I couldn't find anything weird.
I found grilled chicken breast, grilled fish, steak,...

I'm actually quite pleased with a kid's menu without the usual junk food.
We do eat burgers and chicken fingers sometimes as a treat but it's certainly not the norm and I can't imagine that there are many kids out there that live strictly on junk food, so I guess that the majority of children would find something they liked on the menu.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardimples View Post
Every day I read complaints that there is not enough variety for kids at WDW. Now let's hear the complaints that there are no chicken nuggets.
No kidding!

I mentioned this on another thread too, for so long i've been reading complaints from ppl that there is nothing but junk on kids menus. Well disney finally came out with healthier options and ppl are still complaining. Here's an idea, if you dont like the kids choices at BOG, go to the places that serve junk! Then everyone will be happy.

I personally think the choices are fantastic! it looks delish!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #100
MichiganKris
Mouseketeer

I posted very early in this thread. It is not the type of food they are serving that my daughter would have objected to, she has always loved chicken, fish and steak, however, this food looks disgusting. Hopefully these are just bad pictures, because it looks like the chicken and fish have no seasoning. The pork doesn't even look like pork. The meat loaf looks like something out of a dog food can.
MichiganKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #101
Roma
Mouseketeer

I personally would not go by the pictures when trying to determine whether or not to visit BoG. Chances are the food isn't even real, since many food advertisements are shot with "fake" food or plastic to make it look better (which clearly failed on some level here if that is the case).

Considering the vast array of places around MK and WDW as a whole that sell the same, standardized "kids" fare, I can't really comprehend why anyone would be so upset over these options at one particular restaurant. I have French relatives, and as soon my cousins were old enough to manage solid foods they were fed "adult" food like you see here. I also can't think of a single dish on that menu that I didn't get fed at one point as a kid (besides the mahi mahi, but I had plenty of other varieties of fish). I had hot dogs, chicken nuggets and burgers as a kid too, but they were interspersed in my diet and never an everyday occurrence. I never got fed a separate "kids" meal at dinner time.

If you really need to get chicken nuggets just bring them in from another QS.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #102
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
...?

Anyway, nice that it's not processed but would it kill them to offer a vegetarian or vegan option? I know they'd probably do one up but ...
They may or may not be vegan, but lunch offers both a salad entree and a vegetable quiche. Dinner offers ratatouille.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #103
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganKris View Post
I posted very early in this thread. It is not the type of food they are serving that my daughter would have objected to, she has always loved chicken, fish and steak, however, this food looks disgusting. Hopefully these are just bad pictures, because it looks like the chicken and fish have no seasoning. The pork doesn't even look like pork. The meat loaf looks like something out of a dog food can.
I don't go by pictures. I look at the ingredients, then the taste. These all sound like normal food dishes to me. We are definitely going to try them, then we can make an informed decision on whether we will return. I can say with a lot of assurance that we will most likely make this one of our *must do* ressies.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #104
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

Awesome. I hate all the chicken nugget meals. While one of mine might want nuggets at every meal, it's not healthy, and in daily life, nuggets are a treat. At WDW, I try to plan ADRs so that they can at least eat one "real" meal. This actually fills the bill!! My kids would LOVE the meatloaf, and would happily eat the fish and chicken as well! (The other options, well they'd eat, but maybe not quite as "happily!")

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #105
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Goodness gracious. From the way some are complaining, you would think that the Youth Menu consisted of Sweetbreads, Foie Gras and Ortolan. A cry for "more traditional kid food"? Really? News flash. Chicken, fish, red meat and meatloaf are traditional foods that kids eat. Pressed and fried feather sweepings (a/k/a chicken nuggets)? No so much. They are a convenience invention of the 1980's. Kids who grew up in the 50's, 60s' and 70's didn't rely on these things for sustinence, and we all survived to adulthood. Ever wonder why you never meet any kids from Europe, Africa or Asia who only eat chicken nuggets, hot dogs and mac-n-cheese? Because there aren't any. Believe it or not, there are 7 billion people in this world, and the only kids who won't eat anything but chicken nuggets and hot dogs live in but one country with a population of 300 million. The rest of the world gets along just fine without McFood. Complaining that WDW has done a disservice for not dumbing down the menu is an insult to the vast majority of the world.

As for the pictures, food photography is very, very difficult. You'd be shocked to learn what the pros have to do to make food look appetizing in magazines. Personally, I avoid any thread here that starts with "Show Me Pictures Of..." I know that people mean well. But 99% of amateur food photos look downright disgusting to me. It is really, really hard to make food on a plate look good. Disney probably should have done a better job, or brought in a pro to do the shoot. While these photos are better than a typical diner can do with their smart phone, they are a far cry from what a reputable magazine would ever publish.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: